Why does the NRA get hate from our side?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    By the way, if family members have let their memberships lapse to the NRA, SAF, etc., it is a great time to renew their membership as a gift.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    The NRA has also been largely apathetic about things in Maryland, despite the fact that their headquarters is only an hour's drive away.

That's my one big complaint.

Its not limited to apathy

There are no shortage of instances where the NRA has subverted candidates that were pro 2a over an incumbant that was less so

There are also no shortage of instances where NRA reps have threatened 2A Sens/Reps in NH, Pa and other states with reductions in "Rating" if they didn't support/oppose certain bills.....and in most every case those bills were Pro Liberty/Deregulation/Pro Constitutional Carry bills.

NRA is really good with training but ILA/State Reps too frequently suck ass and are really not on our "team"

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    A lot of people see NRA as having Ivory Tower Syndrome... where they blame the organization for not agreeing with their own beliefs, and curing local issues.

IMO, they can't be all things to all people, as much as we'd like them to be.

But, the folks who want them to be tend to get ticked at the organization rather than seek out a more local advocacy group, then become NRA bashers, which really helps no one.

Personally, I see NRA as the Federal-level legislative group; SAF, GOA, JPFO, NSSF etc. as the top-level advocacy groups; then MSI, VCDL, CalGuns, etc. as our boots on the ground.

An excellent statement. :thumbsup:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Many are content to let others to carry the water.

States like Maryland, where the NRA has been less than enthusiastic to assist, need their residents to step up and speak up.

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The NRA is behind the groundwork for our modern gun control apparatus, and a lot of people know it. The 1934 NFA? You can thank the NRA. GCA of 1968? NRA supported. They try to hold the line now, and I recognize that the people behind those abominations are gone now, but you can't just blindly trust them.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    One of the reasons is that they don't restrict their policies and announcements to guns. It bothers me that they blame modern media such as TV & video games. I wholeheartedly find it hypocritical that they are using this argument. Let me demonstrate:

There are crazy people in the world. Most people can handle [blank] safely. However there are some people who are just so crazy and disturbed who can't handle [blank]. Therefore we should attack [blank] and restrict freedom for everyone simply because a statistically insignificant portion of the population can't handle it.

Fill in blank with whatever you want - guns, video games, violent TV, etc... it doesn't matter because it is a stupid argument. If we are so adamant about the preservation of our personal freedoms, how can we give credit to a group who would attack one constitutional freedom in the name of another constitutional freedom?

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    One of the reasons is that they don't restrict their policies and announcements to guns. It bothers me that they blame modern media such as TV & video games. I wholeheartedly find it hypocritical that they are using this argument. Let me demonstrate:

There are crazy people in the world. Most people can handle [blank] safely. However there are some people who are just so crazy and disturbed who can't handle [blank]. Therefore we should attack [blank] and restrict freedom for everyone simply because a statistically insignificant portion of the population can't handle it.

Fill in blank with whatever you want - guns, video games, violent TV, etc... it doesn't matter because it is a stupid argument. If we are so adamant about the preservation of our personal freedoms, how can we give credit to a group who would attack one constitutional freedom in the name of another constitutional freedom?
    You been playin mad libs? Haha. Good post bro

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    The NRA is behind the groundwork for our modern gun control apparatus, and a lot of people know it. The 1934 NFA? You can thank the NRA. GCA of 1968? NRA supported. They try to hold the line now, and I recognize that the people behind those abominations are gone now, but you can't just blindly trust them.

Bingo. The NRA often feels a lot more like a corporation interested in profit vs a gun rights organization far too often.

NRA is a necessary evil. They get the press and have influence, unfortunately, they are far more willing to defend manufacturer rights more than individual rights.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    NRA had a rep at all of the HB618 task force meetings. They have an interest in MD issues. We need to show that we take more of an interest in our own future.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie

You should read this...

http://allergic2bull.blogspot.com/2012/12/nra-leader-wayne-lapierres-frustrating.html

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I guess just by virtue of who the anti gun liberals and the liberal media personna hate and fear should tell you with whom and why you need to be a member.

Did the media wait on and contemplate what the GOA or SAF would say and when ? Did they really care ? So what, Larry Pratt had his 10 seconds on TV. Alan Gottlieb was on TV. No biggie.

Nope, it was the NRA. They wanted the NRA to speak.

Of course their goal was to ridicule us and blame us (the NRA).

Remember, when we say NRA - we say US. God fearing, freedom loving, gun toting Americans.

I really believe that these antis think that anyone who owns a gun is a NRA member anyway.

I don't think there is any, self perceived, higher moral standard, if someone says, I won't join the NRA, they suck, I'm not a NRA member, I'm a SAF and/or GOA member.

To the antis - we are all NRA.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    People like to bitch. Is the NRA perfect? No, they are lobbyist.

Women have made me mad many times over the years. However, I don't like the options life has given me there either.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The NRA has become like <insert political party> everyone feels that they should represent them the way they feel they should be represented. The problem no two people can agree on everything regardless of the subject there will always be a hanging point. The NRA is strategic they look big picture sometimes you have to concede areas, like MD, Ill and so on and do forth and let more tactical groups like the NSSF, SAF, etc handle the skirmishes. Do I think the NRA could better yes. Just think where we would be if the NRA disbanded 40 years ago like they had planned.

lockandload

Oct 26, 2012
    Becuase the NRA is weak...I send my money becuase they have name recognition and still have some value. After I send my money it is often with mixed emotion. The same mixed emotion I feel every time I send my mail in vote (i am carreer active army) for my Republican Party candidate. It is a less shitty alternative to not being a member or not voting at all. I left for my first enlistment 5 days after high school and have been in since. Every time I return to Maryland I am shocked at the level absolute disappointment I feel in this once great state. I was stationed in Maryland a few years ago and ****ing could not believe my ears after came home from deployment number 4 to Iraq I purchased a M1a and was shocked that I had to go to the police barracks to complete he transfer ..somebody please tell a stat that cites the last time an m1a was used in a violent crime in md? Fast forward several years later and two more deployments and guest what? I can't even buy primers within an hour of my house. My son and me were stoked to try our hands at reloading and 100 rds into our first batch realized we had a need for large primers. I spent two hours driving around Baltimore co and harford county and finally had to go to de to buy primers. When was the last time md had stat that showed primers were a re threat? The NRA and to some extent the residents (good people) have been asleep and or lazy (begin sending hate mail now)...I go to gun shows here in md everyone in awhile. What strikes me is they are packed, wall to wall more than any other state I have lived in from NC, TN, etc. I gotta assume at least 1/4 of the folks (most likely more) did not vote. So instead of crying over the price or the premature death of the AR. Lets reflect on how we screwed ourselves in the first place. The real victims are going to be in states like nc, va, tn, al, etc, becuase at least they voted in favor of pro 2d amendment virtues or rights. Now while a large group you weep an moan about your ARs. Thanks to states like ny, nj, ca, and oh yeah md(thanks to us). We can kiss not only your half assed pos ARs goodbye along with ammo that will get expensive, increased scrutiny and paperwork at the gun range, increased legislation on primers, powder, bad words, etc. lastly sorry about the glamour and or spelling. Most likely nobody wi read this as it is not a thread on the price of ARs.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Becuase the NRA is weak...I send my money becuase they have name recognition and still have some value. After I send my money it is often with mixed emotion. The same mixed emotion I feel every time I send my mail in vote (i am carreer active army) for my Republican Party candidate. It is a less shitty alternative to not being a member or not voting at all. I left for my first enlistment 5 days after high school and have been in since. Every time I return to Maryland I am shocked at the level absolute disappointment I feel in this once great state. I was stationed in Maryland a few years ago and ****ing could not believe my ears after came home from deployment number 4 to Iraq I purchased a M1a and was shocked that I had to go to the police barracks to complete he transfer ..somebody please tell a stat that cites the last time an m1a was used in a violent crime in md? Fast forward several years later and two more deployments and guest what? I can't even buy primers within an hour of my house. My son and me were stoked to try our hands at reloading and 100 rds into our first batch realized we had a need for large primers. I spent two hours driving around Baltimore co and harford county and finally had to go to de to buy primers. When was the last time md had stat that showed primers were a re threat? The NRA and to some extent the residents (good people) have been asleep and or lazy (begin sending hate mail now)...I go to gun shows here in md everyone in awhile. What strikes me is they are packed, wall to wall more than any other state I have lived in from NC, TN, etc. I gotta assume at least 1/4 of the folks (most likely more) did not vote. So instead of crying over the price or the premature death of the AR. Lets reflect on how we screwed ourselves in the first place. The real victims are going to be in states like nc, va, tn, al, etc, becuase at least they voted in favor of pro 2d amendment virtues or rights. Now while a large group you weep an moan about your ARs. Thanks to states like ny, nj, ca, and oh yeah md(thanks to us). We can kiss not only your half assed pos ARs goodbye along with ammo that will get expensive, increased scrutiny and paperwork at the gun range, increased legislation on primers, powder, bad words, etc. lastly sorry about the glamour and or spelling. Most likely nobody wi read this as it is not a thread on the price of ARs.

Look the NRA has its faults and it is almost its own political party. And in some respects it is. It does very little for MD, for the same reason the Republicans do not campaign here for president. Why when this state usually votes Democrat by huge double digit margins. NRA is not nearly as active in TX, why that state is firmly entrenched behind 2A. The NRA has to pick and choose its battles where maybe right now its a statistical draw. Imagine if the NRA spent all the money it could help MD residents and lost and there were states that were split that they ignored and they fell to the other side it would exacerbate the problem. I believe their strategy is to geographically isolate anti-gun states and let the mounting pressures and thoughts around these states pervade them and soften the stances before putting full court press on once they secure the regions that the battles are much closer. But that is my Opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom