• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Seems that with a website like this, there should be more offered by local gun shops. If they buy more and sell more, looks like they could drop the price a bit and everyone benefits...unless the profit margins are so low they don't feel like they could afford it.

How many here would buy more guns if group buys were available? And what guns would you want?

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    There usually are... actually there is an AR stripped lower group buy that I think is ending soon or it just did.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    i would love to see local business do something like that. would much rather buy from the ma pa shops than the internet but sometimes the cost difference is substancial.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    it is generally very difficult for smaller shops to do this for one reason...VOLUME
    Most distributors base pricing on monthly/yearly sales for a given shop NOT a one time sale
    There are exceptions, but they are rare

I just tried to put together a group buy in another unrelated forum, i found it near impossible to get pricing even close to what could EASILY be found on the interwebs

I'm all about helping the local guy, and in many cases i do, but if i'm buying something and i can save $50+ by ordering somewhere, i will, less than that..my money goes to the locals

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Seems that with a website like this, there should be more offered by local gun shops. If they buy more and sell more, looks like they could drop the price a bit and everyone benefits...unless the profit margins are so low they don't feel like they could afford it.

How many here would buy more guns if group buys were available? And what guns would you want?

It's very time consuming for low financial gain.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Personally, I'd be happy woth more frequent ammo buys, maybe some dealers would offers breaks for 5k+ rounds at a time.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Personally, I'd be happy woth more frequent ammo buys, maybe some dealers would offers breaks for 5k+ rounds at a time.

I don't think the shops can touch internet ammo either. I mean when a B&M has a pallet of ammo cases sitting there and they're 15-20% more than the internet, how much more would they have to order to get us a break that's worth the time of organizing and the gas to run up and get it?

But I'll second that the shops should be more proactive. The Gun Shop got my business recently because I remembered their hand in one of the lower group buys and they gave me pricing that I COULD NOT BEAT on the internet and this wasn't special treatment, this was their norm. I'd never have heard about them if they hadn't done the GB.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I kinda wish more members would be active and organize group buys for firearms. there are deals out there, we find them but we don't act on them.

shame on us!

The truth is that they are a complete nightmare to run,

People just bitch, whine and complain when they didn't sign up before deadlines

People don't pay or when they do they leave you or an industry partner holding the bag.

When I did the LRB lower GB I was quickly reminded that no good deed goes unpunished.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Group buys are a giant pain in the ass. Collecting all the orders, then trying to get all the money, then you finally order the stuff and you have to try and get items all over the state. I got together one group buy. I personally saved maybe $25-30 out of $120 or so. Not worth the effort at all. And frankly, I have no desire to even take part in one set up by someone else. The hassle just isn't worth the few bucks you save.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The truth is that they are a complete nightmare to run,

People just bitch, whine and complain when they didn't sign up before deadlines

People don't pay or when they do they leave you or an industry partner holding the bag.

When I did the LRB lower GB I was quickly reminded that no good deed goes unpunished.

I've done 2 gun group buys

P64 about 2 years ago before they were C&R and S&W Model 10 just last month. I didn't partake in the Model 10's but I was happy to do it because everyone was pleased. I'm organizing the next S&W Mod 64 group buy as well, getting one here.

I just thought I was organized! If people didnt make the deadline, i skip over them and go to the next person on the waiting list. $$ up front or no order for you, I made that clear.

yea its a pain, balancing work and the family and kids sports but it can be done

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I just thought I was organized! If people didnt make the deadline, i skip over them and go to the next person on the waiting list. $$ up front or no order for you, I made that clear.

It certainly wasn't for lack of organization......for whatever reason it was nothing but non stop whining from late comers......and then folks that paid up front left Corsica holding recievers on their books more than 6 months later.

It probably didn't help that it was late 2008 iirc....panic was driving a lot of folks

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    It certainly wasn't for lack of organization......for whatever reason it was nothing but non stop whining from late comers......and then folks that paid up front left Corsica holding recievers on their books more than 6 months later.

It probably didn't help that it was late 2008 iirc....panic was driving a lot of folks

I know you and Justin have had a major PITA with Lower Group Buys, I won't hold one. From my experience both of my GB guns were spoken for in less than a week to complete the 77r. When they picked up IDK.

I know what you and Justin went through and as a 2A supporter I appreciate everything you've done! :thumbsup:

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    what ammo are you looking for?

Some good 9mm, preferably brass cased and some more 5.45, surplus works.

I don't think the shops can touch internet ammo either. I mean when a B&M has a pallet of ammo cases sitting there and they're 15-20% more than the internet, how much more would they have to order to get us a break that's worth the time of organizing and the gas to run up and get it?

But I'll second that the shops should be more proactive. The Gun Shop got my business recently because I remembered their hand in one of the lower group buys and they gave me pricing that I COULD NOT BEAT on the internet and this wasn't special treatment, this was their norm. I'd never have heard about them if they hadn't done the GB.

It doesn't even have to be a local place, I'd be cool with internet shops, too.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Thanks why I personally feel it's important to drop and additional $5 or $10 in the envelope for the person taking the effort to organize the group buy.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Some good 9mm, preferably brass cased and some more 5.45, surplus works.

9mm is pretty cheap anyway. What I am always on the lookout for is killer deals (pardon the pun) on .223 and .45.

Right now Ive been buying up American Eagle Black Box .223 @ Walmart for $5.95/box of 20, 5 boxes at a time. Comes out to $31.54 /100 rds including tax. Wife never complains.

When I spend more than that, I get "the look". Over $100 I get "the lecture".

One bite at a time, folks. One bite at a time.

I recently picked up 1000 rds of WWB 9mm from another MDS member for a really good price. ("Forgot" to mention it to the wife.) If I were to find a REALLY good deal on .223 (or especially .45 - running low - down to less than 500 rds) I'd probably do the same.
    :innocent0

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD

The Gun Shop is great to deal with. I have sent several students and club members there! The entire staff is great to work with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom