• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    Seeing I am a saltwater fisherman, I don't know much about trout fishing. Can you fish for trout with something other than a fly rod setup?
    Cool

Like I said I have never caught a freshwater trout!!
    Definitely(though I refuse to). Ultra-ultra light spinning gear is a lot of fun. Whether you use small spinners or stink bait, farm raised trout are fairly easy to catch. Spinning gear is probably the best way to catch them. You just have to find them.

Last edited:

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Seeing I am a saltwater fisherman, I don't know much about trout fishing. Can you fish for trout with something other than a fly rod setup?
    Just take a look at https://www.themeateater.com/fish/freshwater/the-best-baits-and-lures-for-stocked-trout
    Unlike trout fishing in rivers, where you seemingly need a different rod or line for every situation, you just need the basics for stocked lakes and ponds. Conventional anglers can use the same light-action spinning rod they use for panfish or perch. Spool your reel with 4- to 8-pound monofilament line, depending on the size of fish you expect to catch.
    and
    While everyone has their favorite trout bait for hatchery trout—from canned corn to dry dog food—the best baits are ones that appeal to both a trout’s senses of sight and smell. You also want a bait that doesn’t simply sit on the bottom. Stocked trout don’t want to seek out their food, and they likely don’t know how to do it anyway. They want convenience. So, anglers should use a bait that’s suspended just off the bottom. You can do that with a bobber, but any amount of wind can make that type of fishing difficult. Perhaps a better way is with a sinker, leader, and a floating bait just above the bottom, right in a passing trout’s face. The best baits for this are Berkley PowerBait and inflated earthworms, but many others work too, including: maggots, meal worms, blood worms, hellgrammites, minnows (live, dead, or chunked), corn, cheese, bio-plastics, and many more. It can be helpful to bring more than one type of bait and try different ones if you’re not catching fish.
    I got my limit yesterday morning just before the heavy rain started, I was fishing at Seneca Creek where it crosses the Darnestown Rd. Used yellow powebbait dough.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Just take a look at https://www.themeateater.com/fish/freshwater/the-best-baits-and-lures-for-stocked-trout

and

I got my limit yesterday morning just before the heavy rain started, I was fishing at Seneca Creek where it crosses the Darnestown Rd. Used yellow powebbait dough.
    Went trout fishing this weekend in VA. Caught limit yesterday and today. Power bait works well. My buddy used Trout Magnets after the fish grew weary of the power bait/all the fishing activity. I was surprised by the magnets effectiveness.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I wanted to revisit this!

Unnecessary backstory my buddies wife’s (mine included) started a book club and get together somewhere once a month and throw a pretty bad ass party. So all the guys get together somewhere with the kids and let our kids savage out as a group. Ends up being about 20 of us.

Well last night my buddy who stocks fish was there so i brought this up. He helps float stock and says the released brown trout are float stocked. The browns can survive and hold over and even repopulate. He says the Patuxent has a native brown population. The rainbows are dumped from the truck and can not survive long term.

Just passing what i was told, also found it kinda cool. He helped again this year releasing the browns.
    Yes, upper Patuxent has some BIG brown trout in it. I'm talking like 20"+.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Yes, upper Patuxent has some BIG brown trout in it. I'm talking like 20"+.
    I highly recommend this book on trout fishing in MD. This is an older version, I think there have been a couple newer updated releases but in any case the authors know their stuff.

Attachments

• D5CCFBCB-55E7-44F7-97A2-677E13469449.jpeg
      D5CCFBCB-55E7-44F7-97A2-677E13469449.jpeg
      369 KB · Views: 57

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Went to Lake Anna yesterday. Tough day of fishing. Only caught 2 bass. Both on a spinnerbait. The other fishermen on the lake experienced similar fishing. Hard to say why it was so tough because the conditions seemed ideal. Still plan to go back for another shot sometime soon.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Went to Lake Anna yesterday. Tough day of fishing. Only caught 2 bass. Both on a spinnerbait. The other fishermen on the lake experienced similar fishing. Hard to say why it was so tough because the conditions seemed ideal. Still plan to go back for another shot sometime soon.
    Stripers constitute the biggest biomass in the lake, so it more pays to target them. You can have some good days catfishing too.

FWIW, I lived right on the lake for several years and always went elsewhere to fish. If you're not in the private/warm side, it's typically going to be tough until the ski boats get running, then it's almost impossible.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Stripers constitute the biggest biomass in the lake, so it more pays to target them. You can have some good days catfishing too.

FWIW, I lived right on the lake for several years and always went elsewhere to fish. If you're not in the private/warm side, it's typically going to be tough until the ski boats get running, then it's almost impossible.
    I would love to have a place right on the lake. If you weren't fishing Anna, what was the better option in that area?

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    The winds are going to make fishing anywhere the next several days iffy. I will take some rain over wind any day. My old ass doesn't like getting beat up and bounced around anymore. Not to mention trying to set the hook with a big ole wind bow in my line.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    That's a nice boat.
    Thanks - If the weather would cooperate, I need to get the bottom painted and back in the water for the annual USCG inspection in a couple weeks. Not much getting done today with this wind and rain.

Here is a better picture of her at the Blue Angels air show in Annapolis.
    2023_Boat_Calendar_4.jpeg

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...If you weren't fishing Anna, what was the better option in that area?
    I know of no decent places to fish in that area, just small ponds with overfished/stunted populations. Lake Anna (a cooling reservoir for the reactor) aside, the lakes and ponds there are managed as flood control devices more so than fishing resources. Notice the flood-relief dam construction methods when you're there.

I used to pond-hop with my canoes and have fished 85 acre Northeast Creek Reservoir (near Mineral) and taken small panfish and bass up to about 3#. I've fished 75 acre Bowlers Mill pond ('Lake' Gordonsville, near Gordonsville) with about the same results. The Northeast Creek Reservoir shows some promise - a 25" bass was electrofished there a couple years ago during a census.

We sometimes gripe about how restrictive most Maryland counties are with sediment control and runoff, but Virginia gives no fvcks about sediment control and it shows. Every creek in Louisa county runs through cattle country and farmland. They are silted from constant stirring by cattle bathing and drinking, and manured to the point of not supporting fish at all, not to mention the runoff of free human sludge fertilizer used by farmers to replace expensive chemicals. My farmer once told me it would cost him $15,000 to fertilize his hayfields with chemicals, but the sludge was delivered and spread over his fields for free. The upper end of Lake Anna, where I lived, has been pronounced 'unsafe for swimming' due to the very low water quality of the tributaries.

"....the better option?" I would fish some of the nicer rivers like the Shenendoah and upper James, or hit some of the lower areas of tidal waters off the Potomac or Bay, but I would most often come back up to MD/DE and fish the many eastern shore ponds and tidal rivers.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Managed to put the kids on a couple upper potomac catfish today. Water is still only 55 so they are just starting to wake up. Couple more days like today and the fishing should really heat up.

Attachments

• 20230405_065532.jpg
      20230405_065532.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 52
    • 20230405_111550.jpg
      20230405_111550.jpg
      98.1 KB · Views: 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members