• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    So Who has been out chasing birds this first week of the all-important 3rd split of ducking season? The weather has been downright gnarly down here on the shore the past few days, but I have seen a fair number of birds around. Cans have started to arrive on the Choptank River outside Cambridge and on Silver Lake in Rehoboth (not that you can hunt them there).

I hunted off Public landing for longtails on Thursday with Jeff Coats, my brother, and a buddy from Chincoteague. It was sunny but cold and windy. We saw a decent number of Oldsquaw and Scoters, but due to some mathematical difficulties in computing enough lead (i.e. we couldn't shoot shit), we bagged 2 mountable oldsquaw and a really ugly hen scoter. We passed on shooting innumerable dippers, as Jeff's dog Coot didn't need the experience in the cold water and we just wanted to shoot longtails.

Friday, the weather was the same, as was the crew, minus Jeff. We moved down the coast to Chincoteague Island, looking for brant. We took my Chesie puppy, Crash, along so the general rule of anything flying was fair game. So, we shot dippers and one or two dragon heads, along with a nice drake black duck and one Canada goose that we coaxed away from a flock. We couldn't get a group of 200 brant to give us the time of day when we moved out to the shoal, but when we were looking the wrong way 3 brant buzzed us. No shots. Such is the luck of duck hunting. The puppy did well, though.

Saturday the weather sucked balls and we didn't get out until the afternoon. The ocean side was unhuntable, so we went over to deal island and hunted the western impoundment. Saw lots of groups of 8-15 wigeon and teal, some 3-4's of blacks, and lots of smart groups of geese. We shot 1 dumb gadwall and basically froze our butts off. It was really cold and blowing by the time we picked up the blocks.

Attachments

• crashchinc.jpg
      crashchinc.jpg
      131.7 KB · Views: 322

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Like hell you did, you missed 4 and you're only on round 1. The JoppaJ of 1990 would never have allowed such sloppy shooting... :D

Once I got up to round 67 or so on the clay pigeon mode, and got bored so I hit reset and played SMB. :thumbsup:

But Duck Hunt was a classic game. My mom hated the clicking sound of the light gun so I had to use real good trigger control and only squeeze enough to activate the switch but not to where it clicked. It turns out you don't have to pull so much trigger weight that way and it becomes easier!

Jan 7, 2010
    Beltsville, MD
    Jan 2, lower Potomac. COLD!!! Shot 13, came home with 8 (7 Bluebill and 1 Bufflehead). 1 Canvasback and 4 Bluebill floated away or dove and never came to surface within our eyesight.

Somebody please tell me how to prepare these divers so they are eatable. This was my first east coast duck hunt. I'm use to the tastier puddle ducks I use to shoot in the west.

DSCN0894.jpg

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    those divers are not eatable, they taste like fish shit or worse, they even smell bad. best thing you can do with those is have em mounted.
    They are target practice birds imo.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    those divers are not eatable, they taste like fish shit or worse, they even smell bad. best thing you can do with those is have em mounted.
    They are target practice birds imo.
    pretty much what he said. The bluebill and bufflehead around here will cheat on you and eat all kinds of nasty crap in the Bay. Cans and redheads usually stay true, eat good veggies, and taste great when prepared properly. I breast the bird, marinate in olive oil/red wine/garlic/pepper. Grill high heat, 4min per side, and serve medium-rare. Very tasty.
    Bluebills and dippers get breasted, grilled, and fed to the dogs most of the time, cuz they taste like stale crabmeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom