• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    In the tone of the movie Airplane!: "I chose the wrong time to get into reloading!".

Is it me or are others feeling like we're in a parody of the "Book of Eli"? Guns for show, ammo scarce or non-existent, no or little way to make more?

I'm got a fair amount of once-fired Federal .223 brass in storage for when I started this. Anyone willing to trade some for 55gr through 75gr .223 bullets? Gives me something to start on and gets someone else on the range.

Matt

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Same problems here. I have enough components for a few hundred rounds and then I'm done. I did manage to get 1 lb of Varget... but that's it. I've struck out everywhere I usually shop for reloading .223. Same with .308 (which is on indefinite hold at the moment).

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I've never tried 4895 for .223. My first foray into reloading this caliber was:

once fired Lake City brass
    69 gr Sierra HPBTM
    24.5 to 26.0 gr WW 748 (in 0.2 gr increments) and WW small rifle primers

I used 55 gr PMC factory loads as my "base-line" for accuracy as they were consistent and shot 1.5-1.75" groups at 100 yards off the bench. My best group with these loads didn't go less than ~3.5-4.0". Needless to say, I abandoned this quickly. I'm trying Varget next.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Everything I hear about varget is great but 4895 is good powder as well. 748 I think can be picky. I haven't used it but have heard some complaints.

What twist barrel do you have? That could be your issue. 69s don't like some barrels where 55s shoot well in almost anything.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    In the tone of the movie Airplane!: "I chose the wrong time to get into reloading!".

Is it me or are others feeling like we're in a parody of the "Book of Eli"? Guns for show, ammo scarce or non-existent, no or little way to make more?

I'm got a fair amount of once-fired Federal .223 brass in storage for when I started this. Anyone willing to trade some for 55gr through 75gr .223 bullets? Gives me something to start on and gets someone else on the range.

Matt

I am interested. I will send a pm.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk2.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Everything I hear about varget is great but 4895 is good powder as well. 748 I think can be picky. I haven't used it but have heard some complaints.

What twist barrel do you have? That could be your issue. 69s don't like some barrels where 55s shoot well in almost anything.
    i load them both, you can fit a little more in the case with 4895. varget is a tad hotter though. i think the 4895 shoots a little more consistant. thats IMR not hogdon. im going back to h380 though.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011

I'm shooting a stock Colt Match HBAR with a 1/7 5.56 barrel...

edited to add: I'd like to get a heavier bullet to work in this rifle for highpower competition. Doping the wind at 200 & 300 yards isn't tough with a 55 gr bullet, but if there's any wind at all with that bullet it will get severely tossed at 600 yards. I also want them to feed through a magazine so I can load just one cartridge for everything and not go to a rapid fire and separate slow fire loading. ...I also want a date with Jacquelyn Smith and a million dollars ;)

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    i load them both, you can fit a little more in the case with 4895. varget is a tad hotter though. i think the 4895 shoots a little more consistant. thats IMR not hogdon. im going back to h380 though.

H380 in .223 ? My manual does even list H380 for .223, what weight bullets and weight charges have produced good groups. I'm @ the bottom of the Varget can and can't find any as have plenty of H380 which would get through until the dealers are resupplied with Varget.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    H380 in .223 ? My manual does even list H380 for .223, what weight bullets and weight charges have produced good groups. I'm @ the bottom of the Varget can and can't find any as have plenty of H380 which would get through until the dealers are resupplied with Varget.
    Pm on the way. I don't want to put it on a public forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom