• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I shoot one caliber that used to be a wildcat but was legitimized by Remington (7mm-08). I'll snag .243 brass and neck them up for my 7mm-08, but that's the most I'll do with that kind of reloading.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I make my own 308 Norma mags. Usually from 300WM. I've used 7mm mag before, but I don't like having short case necks. Thats why I have a Norma and not a Win mag. More seating flexibility.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Parent case's

What are you using to neck those down?
    Currently got a 17-223 on order...... oh yeah, and a 30-30 AI in my rack.

17 Squirrel is a 22 Hornet case necked down with about 5/16th of a inch cut off. and fire form to blow out the shoulder. its a cute little case.

17 HeeBee is a 218 Bee case necked down and the shoulder blown out

19 Calhoon is a 22 Hornet necked down and blow the shoulder out

19 Badger is a 30 carbine case necked down and blown out

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Yes and No

A Noob question: do wildcat rounds also imply some sort of chamber reaming/machining in order to accept these "non-standard" rounds?

The quick answer is, All of my wildcat calibers have been ordered as new guns from small or custom gun makers. Some wildcats like Ackley improved calibers just have the shoulders blown out. So with most of them i believe the standard chamber can be reamed out. Theres lots of books on the topic
    and lots of people here that play in that world. Its a mystery to most but its really not that hard to do.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Question Sir

I make my own 308 Norma mags. Usually from 300WM. I've used 7mm mag before, but I don't like having short case necks. Thats why I have a Norma and not a Win mag. More seating flexibility.

In reforming 300 win mag to Norma Mag have you ever used once fired case's ? I need to do some for a friend and i was thinking about annealing some once fired 300 Win cases that i have already.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    The quick answer is, All of my wildcat calibers have been ordered as new guns from small or custom gun makers. Some wildcats like Ackley improved calibers just have the shoulders blown out. So with most of them i believe the standard chamber can be reamed out. Theres lots of books on the topic
    and lots of people here that play in that world. Its a mystery to most but its really not that hard to do.

Thanks for the answer and apologies for the minor threadjack, just sounds like and interesting and cool thing to do...:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wildcat at the simplest simply means no established Industry Standard for the round. "Usually" this also means no factory ammunition. "Almost Usually" means no factory chambered guns (at least from semi-major mfg).

As alluded to above certain "orphan" ctgs have had established SAMMI or CIP standards, but are so uncommon in commerace they are defacto wildcats at present.

A suncatagory is Improved rounds ( frequently in an Ackley verson , or RCBS version) you are able to safely fire a loaded ctg of the parent ctg in the Improved chamber.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    As alluded to above certain "orphan" ctgs have had established SAMMI or CIP standards, but are so uncommon in commerace they are defacto wildcats at present.

Kind of like my 7.62x45 for my Vz-52 :sad20: I will eventually have to do this since no one is making the round anymore and all I have are steel cased.

lensman

lensman
    Mar 14, 2012
    Near Annapolis
    .17 Mach IV

I've been shooting the .17 Mach IV in a Cooper rifle for over five years. Forming the brass from .221 Fireball is easy but requires multiple dies (I use Redding).

Remington has followed the wildcatters by introducing the .17 Fireball rifles and factory ammo. At one point Cooper offered to re-chamber my rifle to the factory chambering but I declined since I already have so much $$$ tied up in Mach IV dies and Redding says that practically nothing is interchangeable. I don't know if this is true or just a CYA on their part or perhaps they're trying to boost their sales.

Anyway, the Mach IV shoot up a storm...1/2 MOA at 100 yards on a good day.

Lensman

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Okay, I just got my .357 Herrett dies in today. Someone here get me started on the fireforming process. I'm assuming that I use a reduced load? Will these loads be worth shooting for any kind of accuracy or is the shooting of them strictly for the forming of the brass?

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom