• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I finally got a chance to test out my 20" fluted WOA barrel and I'm very happy with this setup. I tested the following ammo at 100 yards:

(group size") brand - weight

(.5") Winchester Match 556 - 77Gr. BTHP
    (.5") Speer Gold Dot 223 - 64Gr. GDSP
    (.5-.6") Fiocchi 223 - 77Gr. Matchking HPBT 223MKD
    (.5-.6") Fiocchi 223 - 69Gr. Matchking HPBT 223MKC
    (.75") Winchester Ranger 223 - 64Gr. RA223R2
    (2-3") Hornady Superformance Match 223 - 75Gr. BTHP
    (2-3") Hornady Superformance Match 556 - 75Gr. BTHP
    (3-4") Federal XM193 556 - 55Gr M193 Ball

The Hornady was a big surprise because I expected it to shoot much better. The Fiocchi was a surprise too because we didn't expect it to shoot so well.

I'm running a Wilson Combat upper/lower, Fortis Rev rail, a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24 scope with G2DMR Reticle, and a G2S Geissele trigger.

I only shot 1-2 boxes of each brand of ammo so I wouldn't call this a very scientific test. I was just really curious how this barrel would shoot and wanted a fair test with different brands of ammo.

Really surprised by the results with the Hornady and the Fiocchi. I never would have expected those, in fact, I would have expected the exact opposite.

We're actually building these out into a new variant (The Pathfinder) so I will put this info towards a list of recommended ammo.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Really surprised by the results with the Hornady and the Fiocchi. I never would have expected those, in fact, I would have expected the exact opposite.

We're actually building these out into a new variant (The Pathfinder) so I will put this info towards a list of recommended ammo.

Is Fiocchi really considered that bad? I mean, the 77gr pill is the same Sierra Match King boolit you see in most other 77gr match cartridges.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Is Fiocchi really considered that bad? I mean, the 77gr pill is the same Sierra Match King boolit you see in most other 77gr match cartridges.

Well my only experience comes from the 223/556 Fiocchi available over at Gilberts so its been somewhat negative. I saw a lot of rounds get set back during firing and a lot of malfunctions. So my experience with it is limited.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I finally got a chance to test out my 20" fluted WOA barrel and I'm very happy with this setup. I tested the following ammo at 100 yards:

(group size") brand - weight

(.5") Winchester Match 556 - 77Gr. BTHP
    (.5") Speer Gold Dot 223 - 64Gr. GDSP
    (.5-.6") Fiocchi 223 - 77Gr. Matchking HPBT 223MKD
    (.5-.6") Fiocchi 223 - 69Gr. Matchking HPBT 223MKC
    (.75") Winchester Ranger 223 - 64Gr. RA223R2
    (2-3") Hornady Superformance Match 223 - 75Gr. BTHP
    (2-3") Hornady Superformance Match 556 - 75Gr. BTHP
    (3-4") Federal XM193 556 - 55Gr M193 Ball

The Hornady was a big surprise because I expected it to shoot much better. The Fiocchi was a surprise too because we didn't expect it to shoot so well.

I'm running a Wilson Combat upper/lower, Fortis Rev rail, a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24 scope with G2DMR Reticle, and a G2S Geissele trigger.

I only shot 1-2 boxes of each brand of ammo so I wouldn't call this a very scientific test. I was just really curious how this barrel would shoot and wanted a fair test with different brands of ammo.

I have one of these barrels and took it out for the first time a week or two ago. Running a similar scope... the Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 (purchased many years ago).

Tested using 10 shot groups. It loved the 75gr Fiocchi Match... all groups under 1". Using 3 shot groups, I'd bet that I could produce clover leafs every now and then. It hated Privi 75gr Match (about 2-3"!!!) and Privi 62gr SS109 (4+"). That's all I tried, and it probably tells me a lot more about the ammo quality than anything else. And yes, Fiocchi is impressive for the price.

I'm curious as to what twist you guys have the 1/7 or 1/8 ?

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD

Attachments

• DSC_3891.jpg
      DSC_3891.jpg
      85.6 KB · Views: 602
    • DSC_3893.jpg
      DSC_3893.jpg
      77.8 KB · Views: 597

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I just picked up the 14.7" WOA SDM barrel from Andy. I had no idea when I arrived that he was closed on Monday. It was my first trip out there, and I felt bad hanging around to chat and see what all they had because I figured he wanted to get out of there...but Andy couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful. He was even recommending barrels that he didn't sell. So, overall a good experience (even met Brutus) and I will be back to finish the rifle off.

Thanks, Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom