• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwhunter350

Gen 4 Glock 22
    Oct 18, 2009
    MD/DE
    I turn 21 on wednesday and I want to buy a Glock.

Im not sure whether I want the .40 or .45

it seems ammo is about evenly priced

also I like the 21 sf but I heard the sf version tends to jam.... anyone else heard this

Thanks in advance!!

Ultimate Member

also I like the 21 sf but I heard the sf version tends to jam.... anyone else heard this

Thanks in advance!!

ugh

1. What do you want to do with it?

The .40 is pretty standard and common. The Glock 21 has an octagonal barrel not hexagonal and is pretty accurate. Glocks are easily convertible to other calibers if you want to do that.

45 ammo is more expensive.

you can find a used Glock 22 or Glock 23C for undre 500 and it will last for life.

Ultimate Member

Thanks in advance!!

you'll honestly probably buy the trifecta Glock 17/34, Glock 22 or 23 and a Glock 21. I did that with the XD's and I am starting to with the glocks.

apparently M&P's are pretty good.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    MP 45's are SAAAWEET. Glock 21's are nice, but big (with a weird grip angle that you'll either love or hate). The Glock 19(9mm)or 23 (.40) same dimensions, different caliber, is my favorite handgun. You can put a 9mm barrel in a 23.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I have a 22 and a 27

I'm in love with both

I'm a huge fan of the .40 round

that said, I'm getting into .45's presently

it's really a toss up, if your just learning to shoot the .45 is more forgiving recoil wise, the .40 is much more snappier (higher velocity) than the .45 so follow up shots are different

I said different, not harder for a reason:

I really feel like .40's get a bad rep for being so snappy it makes follow up shots extremely difficult...I really disagree with that, is it different than shooting something such as a 9mm? Absolutely, but I feel that I can do follow up shots equally well (if not better with my .40 because I shoot it more) than my 9's

just my 2 cents YMMV

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Glocks in .40 take a little while to due to fact they recoil quite a bit compared to some other brands of handguns in .40. But if you get a good amount of range time you will get the hang of it. Glocks in .45 are great at any platform and have even less snappy recoil then the .40's. But like someone else said 45 ammo is getting expensive, and if your going to buy a 45 you might just want a 1911 if you don't have in your collection now. But you can't go wrong with a Glock anyway. Happy shopping.

gwhunter350

Gen 4 Glock 22
    Oct 18, 2009
    MD/DE
    wow thanks for all the fast replies guys

This will be my first handgun.

I have shot a compact version of the 9mm .40 and .45. I have only shot the full frame .40

Out of the compacts i liked to .40 the most but maybe thats cause it had a lightened trigger

Does the .40 really kick that much harder then the .45?

But if the .40 ammo is decently cheaper i'll probably go with that, i want to shoot as much as possible

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    for me, no it doesn't recoil that much more

but you shot them all, what did YOU think, as that's the important part

gwhunter350

Gen 4 Glock 22
    Oct 18, 2009
    MD/DE
    for me, no it doesn't recoil that much more

but you shot them all, what did YOU think, as that's the important part

i did notice that the .45 kicked much less then i expceted. I liked the trigger pull on the .40 but these were all compacts so i imagine in full frame it will be completely differnt

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    the 45 is a bigger and slower round than the .40

since it's slower, it recoils notably less

if your still unsure, shoot some more, put a couple mags through the 45 and then a couple through the 40

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I like both the 21sf and the 22. I've never heard of jamming troubles with the 21sf. I will be buying the 22 as I've carried one as a duty weapon for almost 10 years and I absolutly love the gun. If I weren't so familiar with the weapon already, I'd probably buy the 21sf but that's mostly because I want a .45. Either way you can't go wrong.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I like both the 21sf and the 22. I've never heard of jamming troubles with the 21sf. I will be buying the 22 as I've carried one as a duty weapon for almost 10 years and I absolutly love the gun. If I weren't so familiar with the weapon already, I'd probably buy the 21sf but that's mostly because I want a .45. Either way you can't go wrong.

There were reports over on Glocktalk forum about bad trigger bars in some G30SF models that Glock fixed by installing a newer and sliightly modified trigger bar. The problem was a FRTB on some G30SF's. I didn't here any reports of the G21SF being affected. I have a G30 and have had zero problems with mine.

I have a G22 and a G30. The recoil in the 40 is "snappier" and the G30 is more of a "push." You can get used to either IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom