• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Ok. I'm baffled.

My wife won a Savage Axis in .30-'06 a while back, and she handed the winning ticket to our son, who had just graduated High School, for his graduation present.

Long story short, it didn't have a scope/mount/rings on it, so, I ordered a mount from Midway USA and went to mount it, on Saturday.

Well, the mount is incorrect. It IS steel (which I wanted), but, the mounting holes are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far apart. (Plus, the mount has a recoil lug on it.)

The front mounting hole (over the barrel threads) is exactly 5-3/16" from the forward 'rear' mounting hole, on the rifle.

I wound up taking the mount/rings/scope off of the Savage Axis (.308) that I won last year, and put that on the '06. (Two-piece mount.)

My question is this -

I've looked at Midway USA and Brownell's, sofar, and NOBODY is listing the mounting hole distance on the steel mounts.

I can get an EGW mount that specifically states "Axis", but, I'm wanting steel.

Can anyone recommend/tell me where I can find the correct mount???????

Do you have other suggestions???????

Thanks, in advance!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Ok. I'm baffled.

My wife won a Savage Axis in .30-'06 a while back, and she handed the winning ticket to our son, who had just graduated High School, for his graduation present.

Long story short, it didn't have a scope/mount/rings on it, so, I ordered a mount from Midway USA and went to mount it, on Saturday.

Well, the mount is incorrect. It IS steel (which I wanted), but, the mounting holes are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far apart. (Plus, the mount has a recoil lug on it.)

The front mounting hole (over the barrel threads) is exactly 5-3/16" from the forward 'rear' mounting hole, on the rifle.

I wound up taking the mount/rings/scope off of the Savage Axis (.308) that I won last year, and put that on the '06. (Two-piece mount.)

My question is this -

I've looked at Midway USA and Brownell's, sofar, and NOBODY is listing the mounting hole distance on the steel mounts.

I can get an EGW mount that specifically states "Axis", but, I'm wanting steel.

Can anyone recommend/tell me where I can find the correct mount???????

Do you have other suggestions???????

Thanks, in advance!

byf43,

This chart may help. On the 2 piece bases, the Grand Slam S46 is the steel version, rather than the standard 46, which is aluminum rather than steel. The "S" PREFIX is their steel base designator with their matte bases.

The Grand Slam dovetail mount is one piece if I remember correctly, but of course you'd need dovetail turn in rings with this base, as opposed to the Weaver style slotted rings that fit the S46.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx

byf43

So you got the short action mount instead of a long action mount? The mount you have is for a .308 based rifle.

I don't think so.

The distance between the far forward mounting hole (on the rifle) and the 'front' rear hole is 5-3/16".
    Same distance between both sets of holes on the rifle.

The mount I bought has almost 6" between the front/rear holes.
    To be honest, I didn't measure between front/back holes. (I'm at work, and can't measure/photograph the existing mount. Sorry.)

Can't remember where I read this, or who told me this, but, I was told that the Savage Axis is just one length receiver. :shrug:

I guess it's true. I removed the scope/rings from my .308 Axis together, then moved the mounts from the .308 to the '06, and then put the scope/rings back on the '06 and didn't have to move the rings 1mm.

Locked everything down, bore-sighted the '06, and the boy was on his way to his buddy's farm, to shoot.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I don't think so.

The distance between the far forward mounting hole (on the rifle) and the 'front' rear hole is 5-3/16".
    Same distance between both sets of holes on the rifle.

The mount I bought has almost 6" between the front/rear holes.
    To be honest, I didn't measure between front/back holes. (I'm at work, and can't measure/photograph the existing mount. Sorry.)

Can't remember where I read this, or who told me this, but, I was told that the Savage Axis is just one length receiver. :shrug:

I guess it's true. I removed the scope/rings from my .308 Axis together, then moved the mounts from the .308 to the '06, and then put the scope/rings back on the '06 and didn't have to move the rings 1mm.

Locked everything down, bore-sighted the '06, and the boy was on his way to his buddy's farm, to shoot.

Pretty sure that the Axis is all long action receiver, regardless of chambering. Not like the 10/110 differentiation and similar across the Savage numeric models, where 308 would be short action 10 series, and '06 the 110 series long action.

May well be what you're running into.

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/entries/23573477-What-scope-mounts-fit-the-Savage-Axis-Edge-

Last edited:

byf43

I'll compare the .243 (not an Axis) that I have, with the .308 Axis.

I don't even know if Midway will take that mount back. (Not worried 'bout it, anyway.)
    I forget the brand name...... "Leatherwood" I think.
    Danged mount didn't even come with screws, either!

I'm just not sure about the EGW aluminum mount.
    I've always used steel mounts.

:shrug:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Got me intrigued now.:)

Telling that Leatherwood Hi-Lux Optics ( phone (888) 445-8912) lists both a long and a short action flat base, and also a long and a short action 20MOA base. Appears that Suffix "F" denotes flat.....20 denotes 20MOA.

Appears from your photo that you must have a long action base. Maybe your invoice from Midway also indicates the manufacturer's part number, and you'd be able to check. Leatherwood part numbers in red.

Midway shows these mounts as discontinued. Optics Plant shows them available, as does Leatherwood.

From Midway site--has both Midway part number and Leatherwood part number.

Leatherwood Hi-Lux 1-Piece Max-Tac Tactical Picatinny-Style Scope Base Savage 110 Through 116 Round Rear, Axis Long Action Matte
    Product #: 533145 Leatherwood Hi-Lux #: SM110L-F

Leatherwood Hi-Lux 1-Piece Max-Tac Tactical Picatinny-Style Scope Base Savage 10 Through 16 Round Rear, Axis Short Action Matte
    Product #: 884614 Leatherwood Hi-Lux #: SM110S-F

Leatherwood lists the 20MOA as follows:

Leatherwood Hi-Lux Savage Model 10 & 110 Short Action 1 Piece Base & Spacer, 20MOA SM110S-20

Leatherwood Hi-Lux Savage Model 10 & 110 Series, Long Action, 1 Piece Base & Spacer, 20MOA SM110L-20

byf43

I gotta dig out the invoice, now. (When I get home from work.)
    I just looked at my account on Midway's site, and I'm not seeing the invoice.

I ordered that mount and a couple of other items (boolits, etc.)

I could just order an EGW mount, but, I much prefer steel to aluminum base/rings.

I guess that's another reason for starting the thread.

Has anyone had BAD results from mounting an aluminum mount on a steel receiver????????

Maybe I'm over thinking this.
    Seems to me that the steel receiver would heat at a different rate than an aluminum mount, and POSSIBLY (caps for emphasis) twist/warp/do something weird.

Again................ :shrug:

ETA: Now, I'm seeing a Nightforce steel mount, and it states Axis, also.

I can't get to a couple of sites, due to work's "web-nonsense" filters.
    I'll call Nightforce this evening, and see if their mounts will/will not fit this receiver.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/98...through-116-round-rear-axis-long-action-matte

byf43

Got a reply from Nightforce Optics.

First, my inquiry:

I am trying to find a STEEL Picatinny mount for two rifles.
    Both are Savage "Axis" models. One is in .30-'06 and the other in .308.
    The two receivers are EXACTLY the same length.
    The space between the front mounting hole and the 'third' or "next-to-last"
    mounting hole is exactly 5-3/16". The threads are 6-48.
    The two front mounting holes and the two rear mounting hole spacing are the
    same.

I have seen on Midway USA's website that they have one of your mounts.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/98...through-116-round-rear-axis-long-action-matte

I have bought another manufacturer's mount that they state will fit, and it
    is not correct.

I'm prepared to buy two of these mounts, but, I'm not certain if they will
    work.
    Can you PLEASE help????????

Thank you, in advance!

My name here

Nightforce Optics' reply:

byf43,

Thank you for contacting Nightforce Optics.

Unfortunately, the listing is incorrect. Our long action base will not fit the mid length Axis action. We do not make a base for the Axis action at this time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please let us know if we may be of further support.

Regards,

Technical Support, Customer Service 2
    Nightforce Optics, Inc
    336 Hazen Lane, Orofino, Idaho 83544
    (208)476-9814 p
    (208)476-9817 f
    info@nightforceoptics.com
    www.nightforceoptics.com

Well, back to considering aluminum, or going with a different type of mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom