• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    This is not a which caliber is better question.

I am going to get a Sig 229. I have a Sig 226 in 40s&w now and an M&P in 9mm. So I am not sure which caliber to get the 229 in. I can come up with several reason for both calibers so I thought I would ask your alls input on which one to get.

The 229 is going to be used for concealed carry and carry while I am working at the gun shop I work at.

Thanks in advance.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Which do you shoot more? With the .40, you also could get a .357SIG barrel, right? Gives you two caliber choices, better chance to find ammo.

I am a traditionalist. The 226 should have never been chambered in anything but 9. They should have called the .40 guns something else. Sorry, I am weird that way. If you want a 9mm 229, get a 228. The 229 was built for the heavier round.

The 229 has a 3.9" barrel. How do the rounds you plan on using work with a short barrel? Talking about either caliber?

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    I have both 9mm and 40s&w ammo. Ammo cost is not a real factor for me as I reload everything. The 229 is available in 9mm/357sig/40s&w.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Get 357sig they don't sell as many so dealers are willing to make a better deal
    get used or CPO I never bother with NEW Sigs mark up is too high.
    then buy a .40 S&W barrel used for around $90-$110
    then buy a 9mm Conversion Barrel by Bar-Sto here and you now have 3 pistols in one

http://tacticalgungear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=90

the 357 mags are also .40 mags
    for range use they will also fire 9mm

Problem Solved..... ask questions if any

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    I do not have any semi auto in 3.9" barrel yet. So I can not say how my current ammo will function in it. However it will be factory ammo I use for carrying in it. I do not carry hand loaded ammo. I only use hand loads for target shooting.

I currently carry Speer gold dot 124 +p in the m&p 9mm and Hornady critical defense 165gr FTX in the sig 226 40S&w.

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    Maui - Is it better to convert a 40 or 357? I read else where that it is better to convert the 40 to 357 then to convert the 357 to 40.

Also I work at a gun shop so I don't worry about mark up ;-) but I would still definitely consider a C.P.O. sig

cega

BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2010
    I have a pair of P229s - one in 40 and another in 357 Sig. Come to Marriottsville sometime and shoot them both if that helps.

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    I have a pair of P229s - one in 40 and another in 357 Sig. Come to Marriottsville sometime and shoot them both if that helps.

Depending on my work schedule I might have to take you up on that offer.

Do you prefer one over the other?

cega

BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2010
    I have shot the 40 a lot more than the 357 Sig as I have a G22 as well so at this point I would have to say I like the 40 more - though that may be just a case of being more familiar with the round, guns etc.

I'm planning on being at AGC tomorrow afternoon for a little while, probably about 3 or so. After that my schedule is nuts until mid-July.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Shoot both if you can, In the 228, the 40 and 357 are a handful compared to 9mm for me, not to mention a lot more expensive. The extra muzzle blast and recoil from the 40 and 357 are more of a trade off than they are in a larger pistol that burns more of the powder in the barrel. If you really want the slightly "bigger hammer" that 40 and 357 offers, and are willing to deal with the extra blast, recoil, expense and noise then go for it.

In my parts catalog, the 40 and 357 sildes are the same part, the frame is the same on all 3, the only difference between the 40 and 357 is the barrel. If you get factory barrels in both calibers then there is no real difference, however if you forsee shooting one caliber more than the other, or carrying the pistol, then I would get that caliber from the factory and fit a second barrel in the less used caliber. If you are looking to run a supressor, and need an aftermarket threaded barrel, then it would make sense to get it chambered in the caliber you want to supress, probably 40, being it is more commonly loaded subsonic.

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    Do any of you have the short reset trigger installed on your sigs? If so is it worth it?

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    .40 cal. Since you're already familiar with the round, it gets pretty simple. When used for self defense, punch the biggest hole in them that you reliably can.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    I own and original P229 in 40 that I purchased when they 1st came out and it's an excellent pistol... I later picked up a two tone CPO railed version in 40 for 500 bucks :D. In the past year I got the deal of a lifetime on a lightly used ( 200 rounds ) P229 SCT in 9mm for 625 bucks delivered.

I love them all but the SCT is very appealing with the Speer Gold Dots124 +P Ammo I'm torn to which I like better.

If you're near Continental you're welcome to shoot them all

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom