• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    A friend of mine just bought then for a new build; we are going to have to cut a few threads off to get the elevation to drop (it's shooting 2" low). I have the same sights in black and had zero issues.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    A friend of mine just bought then for a new build; we are going to have to cut a few threads off to get the elevation to drop (it's shooting 2" low). I have the same sights in black and had zero issues.

Don't do that. The front sight pin is adjustable. Some of them don't come from the factory properly set.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Nothing has ever gone wrong with guns and some dremel time....

If you have issue with a quality product like Troy, I'd recommend contacting them for repair or replacement.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Forgive me because I'm no expert, but shouldn't that scope be mounted slightly forward? Mounting it overtop of the BUIS seems ill-advised? :innocent0: :confused:

Truely curious, so if I'm wrong feel free to flame on! :party29:

ACOG sights have very small eye relief - the distance at which you can see properly through it. As such, mounting it any further forward would likely be uncomfortable for the user.

More importantly, the ACOG is a magnified optic, so even if you left enough room to flip the BUIS up you couldn't properly use them due to the magnification. That's why that ACOG is on a LaRue quick-detach mount, if it goes down, you take it off the rifle so you can use your BACK UP iron sights.

Tac

Zombie Threat Reducer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    ACOG sights have very small eye relief - the distance at which you can see properly through it. As such, mounting it any further forward would likely be uncomfortable for the user.

More importantly, the ACOG is a magnified optic, so even if you left enough room to flip the BUIS up you couldn't properly use them due to the magnification. That's why that ACOG is on a LaRue quick-detach mount, if it goes down, you take it off the rifle so you can use your BACK UP iron sights.

Thanks for the clarification!

Enterprise

Oct 27, 2012
    Forgive me because I'm no expert, but shouldn't that scope be mounted slightly forward? Mounting it overtop of the BUIS seems ill-advised? :innocent0: :confused:

Truely curious, so if I'm wrong feel free to flame on! :party29:
    Ditto, for low magnification optics I personally thought a mounted scope should be a bit farther down the rail from your eye so you can also keep an open plain view of moderately distanced targets instead of solely the in-scope view... Does this make sense, or is it just me?

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_relief
    Wikipedia said:
    The eye relief of an optical instrument (such as a telescope, a microscope, or binoculars) is the distance from the last surface of an eyepiece at which the user's eye can obtain the full viewing angle. If a viewer's eye is outside this distance, a reduced field of view will be obtained. The calculation of eye relief is complex, though generally, the higher the magnification and the larger the intended field-of-view, the shorter the eye relief.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    That looks like a Primary Arms red dot on a tall mount:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Micro-Dot-With-Removable-Base-AD-p/md06adt1-10bundle.htm

which is a cheapo version of an Aimpoint H1 or T1 on a tall mount (several manufacturers make tall mounts for it that look similar, aimpoint makes one, KAC makes one, Daniel defense, LaRue, etc) Link to one on a LaRue mount: http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-micro-h-1-2moam4-mount-combo

Personally, I would not use the primary arms one on anything other than a .22 like in the picture you posted.

Enterprise

Oct 27, 2012
    That looks like a Primary Arms red dot on a tall mount:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Micro-Dot-With-Removable-Base-AD-p/md06adt1-10bundle.htm

which is a cheapo version of an Aimpoint H1 or T1 on a tall mount (several manufacturers make tall mounts for it that look similar, aimpoint makes one, KAC makes one, Daniel defense, LaRue, etc) Link to one on a LaRue mount: http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-micro-h-1-2moam4-mount-combo

Personally, I would not use the primary arms one on anything other than a .22 like in the picture you posted.
    Great, thanks for the links and info! Would you suggest that Primary Arms red dot over the Bushnell TRS-25? This is for my 15-22.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...06+TRS-25+1x+25mm+Obj+Unlimited+Eye+Relief+3+

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Not sure what the advantages are between each, I've never used them. They're probably very similar in build and quality. You'll probably best served by whichever one you can get for a better price.

I'm the wrong person to ask, though, as when I had a 15-22 I had an Aimpoint H1 on a LaRue mount on it :P

Now I don't have that rifle any more, but I've kept that sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom