Which 5.56 round do you use for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Even though I mentioned what the HD ammo I had in the safe was I do not recommend a regular AR for HD. What I do use is a Mossberg 930 Tactical expanded to a 6+1 setup with a full tube of Win PDX rounds, and a Walther PPK/S .380 with Hornady Critical Defense loads in it. I am building an AR for HD/Urban Combat, but it will be an 11.5" barreled suppressed AR. I don't think anything as loud as an AR carbine which will destroy your hearing after the first round is a good HD choice. Unless you routinely keep a pair of electronic earmuffs by your bed. Hearing is the #1 sense you need in an HD scenario. That is not to say that any firearm is not going to destroy your hearing for awhile, just that rifles are worse.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Even though I mentioned what the HD ammo I had in the safe was I do not recommend a regular AR for HD. What I do use is a Mossberg 930 Tactical expanded to a 6+1 setup with a full tube of Win PDX rounds, and a Walther PPK/S .380 with Hornady Critical Defense loads in it. I am building an AR for HD/Urban Combat, but it will be an 11.5" barreled suppressed AR. I don't think anything as loud as an AR carbine which will destroy your hearing after the first round is a good HD choice. Unless you routinely keep a pair of electronic earmuffs by your bed. Hearing is the #1 sense you need in an HD scenario. That is not to say that any firearm is not going to destroy your hearing for awhile, just that rifles are worse.

Just for the sake of argument, a handgun or shotgun is actually louder than an AR-15.

5.56 out of a 18" barrel: 155.5 dB
    9mm: 159.8 dB
    12 gauge out of an 18" barrel: 161.5 dB

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Here's a pretty comprehensive write-up from some other, lesser shooting community. It compares several different ammo types and makes recommendations based on the twist rate in your barrel and penetration considerations.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.223

And here's a run-down of the various makes of Tactical Application Police (TAP) ammo. As everyone else pointed out, most varieties of Hornady would be pretty devestating. It also has pretty pictures of ballistic gelatin.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/WebData/HornadyRifle/HornadyRifle.htm

The 75-gr TAP ammo looks like it would be a good fit for defensive purposes.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Just for the sake of argument, a handgun or shotgun is actually louder than an AR-15.

5.56 out of a 18" barrel: 155.5 dB
    9mm: 159.8 dB
    12 gauge out of an 18" barrel: 161.5 dB

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml
    I was thinking that same thing... my go to HD weapon is a Glock in 45 and I know for a fact that my ears will be ringing after I loose a couple rounds outta that thing in my house at a perp, much more so than if I hit him with the AR a couple times... lol

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I would recommend 5.56 in a XM193 loading if you can. A little more velocity will give it a better chance to get way over the supposed 2,700fps threshold for reliable fragmentation.

That and never rely one shot. I wouldn't trust any flying piece of metal to do the job right the first time.

I was mostly joking about the one shot deal, I keep a loaded 30 round magazine and if push comes to shove I'll shoot till he is dead. The reason behind the PMC bronze is because the feed flawlessly through my Frankenstein built AR15. I am just comfortable with that ammo, that it will go bang every pull of the trigger, plus inside my house the intruder is going to be 15-25 feet away.

Some where there a really good video on gun shot wounds from a doctors prospective. Ill see if I can find it, but it shows and tells that the .223 will fragment if it hits bone and the damage it caused. So shoot center mass with .223 and make sure you use reliable ammo was what I took from it. I'll see if I can't find that video too, might help people looking into home defense.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I was mostly joking about the one shot deal, I keep a loaded 30 round magazine and if push comes to shove I'll shoot till he is dead. The reason behind the PMC bronze is because the feed flawlessly through my Frankenstein built AR15. I am just comfortable with that ammo, that it will go bang every pull of the trigger, plus inside my house the intruder is going to be 15-25 feet away.

Some where there a really good video on gun shot wounds from a doctors prospective. Ill see if I can find it, but it shows and tells that the .223 will fragment if it hits bone and the damage it caused. So shoot center mass with .223 and make sure you use reliable ammo was what I took from it. I'll see if I can't find that video too, might help people looking into home defense.

GREAT video!

http://youtu.be/tku8YI68-JA

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I don't mean to rain on a parade, but I'm curious. What do people think about their fate if you do shoot someone with an AR (tricked out or not) in the great state of Maryland. I mean, self defense or not, in the house or not. What would a jury, I guess in Annapolis or one of our uber control freak counties down there, decide? Letter of the law means nothing in that case I'd think.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't mean to rain on a parade, but I'm curious. What do people think about their fate if you do shoot someone with an AR (tricked out or not) in the great state of Maryland. I mean, self defense or not, in the house or not. What would a jury, I guess in Annapolis or one of our uber control freak counties down there, decide? Letter of the law means nothing in that case I'd think.

I can't speak to you poor bastards in MD, but I'm currently stationed in Ohio and I can always say that it's the weapon I was issued by the Air Force and it's the one that I feel the most comfortable with because of my training. Well, I'll probably just let my attorney do all of the talking, but I'll point out that it's easier for my wife to use and it has less risk of over penetration when compared to handgun ammunition or buckshot. After all, I have to think of the children.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

I think that'd be an interesting take from a prosecutor. It would be pretty easy to show that in almost every case where the police KNOW they'll be facing an armed bad guy that they deploy ARs. (despite the fact that some say they're only for war and made only for killing as many people as possible).

Next question: Why sir, did you use an ammo called "Zombie Max"?? :D

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

I'd easily be able to articulate why it poses less of a risk to my neighbors due to the nature the 53gr superformance round fragmenting when passing through walls. I'd also be able to articulate why a shoulder-mounted weapon locks my wrist, elbow, and shoulder...making it easier to aim under stress...again better ensuring hits on target and reducing the threat to my neighbors. I'd be able to articulate why the collapseable stock allows both myself and my shorter fiance the ability to use the weapon in a comfortable way and how the 30 round mags are advantageous against an unknown number of threats. As mentioned above, I could point out that it is the preferred firearm used by police if they know about a threat ahead of time. I use it for all the reasons they do.

...of course none of that has to do with why I was forced to defend myself until the imminent threat to my life was no longer a threat.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I use 75 grain Hornady TAP. I'd be a little nervous about using prairie dog loads for self-defense. It'd probably work, but I'd rather use a round designed for the job.

As for home use, my AR is far superior to any pistol I own. More capacity, more power, easier to aim, has a light attached, etc. I'd be stupid to choose an inferior weapon when things go bump in the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom