• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    so i've done my research and searched threads on here.. i'm still a little... dumb on this....

so i'm putting together a 22LR SBR upper... prob the TACCOM upper, bolt, barrel, w/ the enhanced firing pin and bolt plug... 7" barrel... it comes threaded.. so i can screw the suppressor on.. let's say the supressor is 5" long.. making it 12" total.. i'll prob get a 11" hand guard....

i would also like to be able to take it off.. and use it on my 10/22 stainless... i believe it's already threaded as it has a flashhider... but i think it's pinned/welded... i'm assuming i'll have to take that off.. and have it threaded to match the thread?....

TAC65? or sparrow? or the tactical solutions titanium?....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Don't go with the TAC65. I got one, and it was "OK". Sent it off to have it rebuilt with SS baffles and now is MUCH better. I would have spent $100 less on the sparrow between the original price of the can and the rebuild.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Spectre II or SS Sparrow. IMO they're the only two worth considering. Just remember, you're gonna have it forever. Buy the best you can and don't skimp on a couple bucks here or there.

And my suggestion would be to use a 4.5" barrel. The reason is, a barrel of 4.5" or less will keep bulk pack high velocity ammo like Federal or Winchester at subsonic velocity. Anything over 4.5" will let it go supersonic and then you're stuck buying standard or subsonic ammo to take advantage of the suppressor. Anything less than 4-4.5" will suffer in reliability from lack of back pressure.

The perfect setup, from my testing, is a 4.5" barrel with a 7" rail and 5-6" suppressor.

Here's mine. It consists of a 4.5" dedicated 22lr barrel, CMMG dedicated 22lr bolt, 7" Troy Alpha rail, and SS Sparrow suppressor. It runs 100% with all the ammo I've tried through it except for CCI Quiet which doesn't run in any semi-auto's anyways. But Federal, Win, and Rem bulk run 100% as well as CCI Standard, Subsonic, Mini, etc....

IMAG0282.jpg

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Spectre II or SS Sparrow. IMO they're the only two worth considering. Just remember, you're gonna have it forever. Buy the best you can and don't skimp on a couple bucks here or there.

And my suggestion would be to use a 4.5" barrel. The reason is, a barrel of 4.5" or less will keep bulk pack high velocity ammo like Federal or Winchester at subsonic velocity. Anything over 4.5" will let it go supersonic and then you're stuck buying standard or subsonic ammo to take advantage of the suppressor. Anything less than 4-4.5" will suffer in reliability from lack of back pressure.

The perfect setup, from my testing, is a 4.5" barrel with a 7" rail and 5-6" suppressor.

Here's mine. It consists of a 4.5" dedicated 22lr barrel, CMMG dedicated 22lr bolt, 7" Troy Alpha rail, and SS Sparrow suppressor. It runs 100% with all the ammo I've tried through it except for CCI Quiet which doesn't run in any semi-auto's anyways. But Federal, Win, and Rem bulk run 100% as well as CCI Standard, Subsonic, Mini, etc....

IMAG0282.jpg

I love this setup. Thanks for some ideas.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Flipz what's your range on that thing.. how much velocity do you lose

I've never crono'd it so it's hard to know. I can tell you that with bulk pack high velocity ammo staying just under supersonic speeds, I'd guesstimate that high velocity bulk pack ammo is running around 1000fps when leaving the barrel.

As for accuracy, this thing is a tackdriver. The furthest I've shot it was 50 yds and I was very pleased with the groups. But to me, it's a fun gun, not a precision rifle. I've got a Savage FVSR for that. A few here from the forum have had some trigger time on it and the three comments I get most frequently are how quiet, reliable, and accurate it is.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sparrow is the best, IMHO. Only quibble about it is the lack of a QD option.

One thing I've noticed is that suppressed AR-15 22lr gets REALLY dirty fast. I get a lot of good use from my ultrasonic cleaner.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    Sparrow is the best, IMHO. Only quibble about it is the lack of a QD option.

One thing I've noticed is that suppressed AR-15 22lr gets REALLY dirty fast. I get a lot of good use from my ultrasonic cleaner.

What kind of solution are you using for your suppressor parts? Do you include the outer tube in the cleaner?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    What kind of solution are you using for your suppressor parts? Do you include the outer tube in the cleaner?

I don't include the outer tube of my Sparrow. Because of the design, it doesn't get dirty. For cleaning the half shells and core I use a 50/50 solution of Purple Power Cleaner/Degreaser & water. A heat function help a lot. I do two sessions of 30 mins with heat. Then rinse with water, dry, apply a light coat of FireClean, and reassemble.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I use carbon remover mixed to recommended double strength in water. I don't put the tube in. I definitely agree that heat helps.

The other part I use it on is the 22lr BCG - removes most of the crud and loosens up the rest.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I don't include the outer tube of my Sparrow. Because of the design, it doesn't get dirty. For cleaning the half shells and core I use a 50/50 solution of Purple Power Cleaner/Degreaser & water. A heat function help a lot. I do two sessions of 30 mins with heat. Then rinse with water, dry, apply a light coat of FireClean, and reassemble.

I use carbon remover mixed to recommended double strength in water. I don't put the tube in. I definitely agree that heat helps.

The other part I use it on is the 22lr BCG - removes most of the crud and loosens up the rest.

Thanks guys! Are there any o-rings that need to be removed from the end caps or do you keep them on?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Just make sure its Full Auto Rated! :) I don't think the sparrow is...

You may laugh but who knows where you collection will go. If you asked me several years ago, I would not have bothered with FA rated but now I need it! As others have said, buy for your life time!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Sparrow is also rated for 5.7x28 and .223 subsonic. They don't advertise the latter due to potential baffle strike issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom