• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    So I got my e form tax stamp back and im ready to get this build finished. What is a quality 11.5 barrel? I was looking at Noveske, Daniel Defense, BCM and Wilson combat.

Thanks

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    If you can get away with 11in barrel, KAK industry had some on sale for 100 bucks. Made from green mountain blanks

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'm buying a full upper but think I'll go with a BCM. IF the one I want is ever in stock.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Faxon Firearms is making a very big name for themselves, and the rumor mill on an ar-15 oriented forum is abuzz with stories of an upcoming 11.5" from them. If their current barrels are any indicator, they should be fantastic shooters. I don't work for them, but i do have a 16" barrel from them i have yet to build into a rifle.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    I've got a 10.5" rainier arms select barrel that's really nice, don't know if they do it in 11.5" though

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    i have the 11.5" bcm and love it. if you wanna give it a test run at freestate lemme know. runs like a clock

Which one do you have? They are OOS on a lot but there is one model available which I'd be OK with.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    My 11.5" noveske has been an incredible barrel. The top group is three shots at 100 meters and the bottom shot is 6 at 100 meters. The other target is 30 rounds fired quickly.

IMAG0924.jpg

IMAG0927.jpg

And the rifle.
    SAM_0415-1.jpg

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I have an 11.5" enhanced lightweight barrel from bcm. It heats up quickly, but also cools quickly too. I've had good results with mine, but no target pics to back that up.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    For those of you with BCM upper groups, is the BFH hammer forged upper worth the extra money. I plan to use it for an SBR build and have also considered the lightweight and fluted light weight. Any pros and cons to either?

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    For those of you with BCM upper groups, is the BFH hammer forged upper worth the extra money. I plan to use it for an SBR build and have also considered the lightweight and fluted light weight. Any pros and cons to either?

Previous discussion on the topic: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46203

I went with the 11.5" standard lightweight - the enhanced lightweight were not out at the time. I used it with an unmagnified optic and I'm not the best shot, but I can tell it out-shoots me. It was far cheaper to go standard at the time and I figured I wouldn't ever need the extended life expectancy of a hammer forged barrel.

As far fluted vs non-fluted...it doesn't appear that fluting saves you even an ounce of weight. I would skip it unless someone can prove that the fluting significantly increases thermal mass or decreases heat soak.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Fluting is a gimmick IMHO. It doesn't dissipate heat any faster and the weight savings is marginal. It does look cool though, but that's about it.

That's basically what I thought. Don't think it makes a barrel stiffer as claimed either. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom