Where to shoot an AR-15 without a club membership?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwags91314

Apr 17, 2012
    Maryland
    I just bought an AR-15 and the only place I know to shoot that is close to me is Freestate Gun Range in Middle River (and it seems a little pricey there). I live in White Marsh if that helps. Does anyone know of any other places to just pay by the hour or however it works without having a join a club?

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I just bought an AR-15 and the only place I know to shoot that is close to me is Freestate Gun Range in Middle River (and it seems a little pricey there). I live in White Marsh if that helps. Does anyone know of any other places to just pay by the hour or however it works without having a join a club?

Hap Baker in Westminster Md.

Lostfantum

Ultimate Member
    Nov 27, 2007
    Middle River, Maryland
    Elk Neck State Forest in Northeast Md. $10 a day or $50 a year. You need to bring a target stand with center of target a minimum of 4ft. You need to supply all targets and ammo..

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    I'd go to hap Baker before I would go to elk neck. They are about the same distance away but HB is a lot nicer/safer

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County

Price is a factor depending on how often you go and how you value your time. If you bring out your AR-15 infrequently then a trip to Elk Neck or Hap Baker would be easiest on your wallet. If you want to give your AR-15 a workout more often you might want to consider the additional mileage cost (gas & car devaluation) and driving time.

Before I chose to get a membership from Freestate I evaluated various shooting locations, but given the frequency with which I wanted to shoot, Freestate was best. In my case the $250 membership fee was better than cheaper options like Elk Neck, hap baker, or Delta PA once I factored in travel. Also, I can go shooting when the conditions outside are unfavorable (night-time, precipitation, cold, hot, etc.)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

I'll also say Hap Baker, but be aware that it gets VERY crowded on weekends. (you'll wait 1 hour+ for a bench after 11:00am during the Summer and upwards of 2 hours just before deer season.) I've been a member since 2005, but lately find it a bit of a chore going; It's always a mob scene on the weekends during the Summer. Before the gun craze hit, waits were rare except during deer season. Now, it is the rule, not the exception.

Freestate is great for pistol practice or if I just need to fuction-check a new rifle, but a 25 yard range just doesn't cut it for rifle shooting.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Hap Baker is a fine facility.

Why no club? There is Delta and slcfsa in PA, but not that far. Both are reasonable distances and easy to join.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The Savage River State Forest shooting range - but its far from you.

Its only $5.00 per person per day, meaning you can shoot in the morning, leave to go take a shit or eat some lunch etc, and come back, and not have to repay if its on the same day. Season Pass is $25 for individual, $50 for a family pass which covers everyone in your group. The pass is good for one whole year from the date you buy it.

There are no RO's at the range, and target holders are provided - you have to provide your own paper targets. They have benches, and its covered as well. Lots of AR shooters there (among other guns) - and its where the Hooligans get our shoot on. Most of the people who go there are pretty cool. You meet lots of nice folks there!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Its only $5.00 per person per day, meaning you can shoot in the morning, leave to go take a shit or eat some lunch etc, and come back, and not have to repay if its on the same day. Season Pass is $25 for individual, $50 for a family pass which covers everyone in your group. The pass is good for one whole year from the date you buy it.

There are no RO's at the range, and target holders are provided - you have to provide your own paper targets. They have benches, and its covered as well. Lots of AR shooters there (among other guns) - and its where the Hooligans get our shoot on. Most of the people who go there are pretty cool. You meet lots of nice folks there!

I've seen the pictures on here. Very nice facility, it's a shame that it's on the opposite end of the state.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland

If you take into consideration the cost of gas and time to drive to Frederick , Freestate is not bad at all. You can burn through a good amount of ammo in a hour.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Hap Baker is your best bet. $15 range fee. As said above, get there early. I went the Saturday before last, got there a little after 10am and waited over an hour. Also be aware they have a rule that you must wait 2 seconds between shots; no rapid fire. Oh, and depending on the RO, you may or may not be allowed to shoot different positions. (I've been allowed to shoot prone and standing there in the past, but the rule is you have to keep muzzles in the boxes on the benches.)

Personally though, I don't find freestate all that expensive. Shooting isn't a cheap sport/hobby, and I understand that.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Just join rseymorejr's club

$35 per year (just show up to an event)

$75 for your first range badge if you buy the 1/2 year badge.

No waiting to shoot

No tolls from White Marsh

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home

my wife triggerhappy and my self have made it our home range.....we live in balto city!:lol2:

we pretty much only shoot there anymore,she doesnt like crowds.
    i hit up hap baker when i go alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom