• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I think I'm going to see what I can find at Chantilly first. If I get further into this reloading thing, I'll start evaluating bulk powder and primer purchases...

Good luck, lately powder has been hit or miss. For the drive MD Reloader is about an hour drive from Rockville only about 15 mins longer each way. Plus Bob will take your order and have it ready for you when you arrive..

What powders/components are you looking for?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Primers: Small pistol primers. Maybe small rifle primers in case I get the hankering for 5.56x45 sooner than later.

Powder: Solo 1000, TiteGroup, or Power Pistol.

In the near term, I am planning on loading 9mm 124gr JHPs and 160gr coated lead RNs. (And, yeah, I'm aware I need to be wary of the 160gr bullets to make sure diameter is correct for 9x19.)

In the longer term, I might trim some 9x19 brass to 9x18 and do some JHP loads for my CZ-82 (and possibly 9x18 Skorp, eventually), and maybe get into 5.56x45.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Go to the Gettysburg gun show this weekend, there is a couple there that always has powder, primers and bullets. they are usually in the back on the left.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Also you may drive to Leesburg to Loudoun Guns store, they have primers and powder. Via Whites Ferry it is not so far from Rockville.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Just an FYI

I was just visiting Hafer's new location in Hagerstown and he seems pretty well stocked on powders and primers. If you haven't been yet, his new place has a LOT more going on than his previous location...turned out pretty nice.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I wound up buying a couple pounds of (somewhat overpriced) Alliant Unique at PGTS. That should keep me good for 9mm for a while. Still gotta hunt up the primers, though.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    powder valley has primers for sure, and a few places down here - if you're up for a drive.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I think I'm going to see what I can find at Chantilly first. If I get further into this reloading thing, I'll start evaluating bulk powder and primer purchases...

Be careful about bulk powder purchases in MD. As far as I know it is unlawful to buy, sell, possess more than 5 pounds at a time in Maryland. If you live in a condo or other multi-family dwelling you can't have any.

What sucks about is that if you reload for a precision rifle, like I do, it is very difficult to maximum consistency one pound at time.

It's nice to live in NoVa now.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, using the interpretation of the law that my wife can have her own 5lbs in a separate location (ie, the shed), that gets me to 10lbs. And I have some family nearby that can possess and store another 20lbs for me, albeit at their residence and not mine. So, I do think I have some options.

I bought some more powder and primers at Chantilly, so I'm all set now...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Be careful about bulk powder purchases in MD. As far as I know it is unlawful to buy, sell, possess more than 5 pounds at a time in Maryland. If you live in a condo or other multi-family dwelling you can't have any.

No limits on buying or selling.

Only on STORAGE in a dwelling. So buy, come home, and load it.

And it IS 5 pounds per person.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No limits on buying or selling.
    Well, this is true, but not as helpful as you think.

Only on STORAGE in a dwelling. So buy, come home, and load it.
    This isn't true. The limit is 5lbs in possession or storage, and the exemption makes no mention of the storage only applying in a dwelling. The exemption:

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.

(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

If you have > 5lbs of smokeless powder in your possession at any time, they could charge you. "Possession" is a pretty broad term. I would be loathe to test the boundaries on it.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    It has been some time since I have looked at this stuff. However, there does appear to be a prohibition on most commercial sales over 5 pounds. There is no prohibition on purchases, though you can't possess it once you bought it, so it is implied.

Here is the relevant language:

(b) Prohibition on sale of explosives for use in firearms. - A dealer may
    not sell, barter, give, or dispose of more than 5 pounds of black powder
    or more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder for use in firearms to any one
    person at any one time unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.

https://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=VnHWwhPClcQ=&tabid=590&mid=1439

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well, this is true, but not as helpful as you think.

This isn't true. The limit is 5lbs in possession or storage, and the exemption makes no mention of the storage only applying in a dwelling. The exemption:

If you have > 5lbs of smokeless powder in your possession at any time, they could charge you. "Possession" is a pretty broad term. I would be loathe to test the boundaries on it.

Yes, I misstated dwelling.

But, since these are fire codes, they would only apply to a building. It would be hard for them to enforce if it was sitting in your yard. :)

So only bring in 5 pounds at a time to load. :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Again: possession is key here. If they are somehow sitting locked up in your yard in a trunk, they are still in your possession.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But they are FIRE ordanances. Hard for them to show a fire hazard if they are sitting in your yard.

And probably the overriding wording is based on a structure. Can't check from here easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom