Where did the 'collapsable stock = Md. regulated firearm' start?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Specifically for HBAR's.

The only firearm on the list that references a stock is for the folding stock Mini-14. An argument could be made to include the Mossberg Bullpup shotgun too.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    What do you mean?
    Having a collapsible stock does not automatically make a firearm regulated.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Most gun dealers are very reluctant to run afoul of MDSP, therefore they over interpret the law... meaning that if it has a collapsible stock it cannot be a Colt Sporter H-Bar, and thus is regulated.

Fact is that this is the safest position to take as a gun dealer.

Equally amusing was that I was informed that long guns must be encased for transport in MD. Nothing in the law to support that, but the gun store insisted that this was the law... When I asked where it was in the law, no answer... but that the state police briefings said so, and thus it must be true. I think there must be a carve out for stores delivering weapons, but I am pretty sure there is no prohibition from transporting a rifle without a case in MD.

Mark

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    When I bought my AR (Del-Ton) from a sponsor here I was told if I get the Hbar version I could take it home that day.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Most gun dealers are very reluctant to run afoul of MDSP, therefore they over interpret the law... meaning that if it has a collapsible stock it cannot be a Colt Sporter H-Bar, and thus is regulated.

Fact is that this is the safest position to take as a gun dealer.

Equally amusing was that I was informed that long guns must be encased for transport in MD. Nothing in the law to support that, but the gun store insisted that this was the law... When I asked where it was in the law, no answer... but that the state police briefings said so, and thus it must be true. I think there must be a carve out for stores delivering weapons, but I am pretty sure there is no prohibition from transporting a rifle without a case in MD.

Mark

I understand the situation the dealers are in. I don't really expect them to risk their livlihood. The part that bothers me is when they start spouting off that "it's the law" when it is just their policy.

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    A lot of "less informed" gun shops seem to think that collapsible stock = regulated too.

A buddy of mine and I were in a VA gun shop and he saw a Benelli M4 that he wanted to buy, he asked the seller if they were on the MD regulated list. I really can't expect a VA shop to keep up with MD laws, but to their credit they actually had a copy of the list and checked it, but also called Atlantic Guns to ask. Atlantic Guns said the collapsible stock version was regulated but the sporter stock version wasn't. Instead of arguing he wound up buying the gun with the sporter stock on it then buying the collapsible stock.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I understand the situation the dealers are in. I don't really expect them to risk their livlihood. The part that bothers me is when they start spouting off that "it's the law" when it is just their policy.

Ya, I get a little annoyed too... It is especially amusing when I can quote back the statute numbers and ask them why they blindly listen to what the MDSP yearly FFL briefings tell them instead of asking them questions and actually having a discussion about the facts.

I was told Tuesday that it was illegal to transport an uncased long gun. Really, where is that in the law?

I was also told that it was illegal to carry interstate without following FOPA!!! Ummm don't you get it, FOPA is OPTIONAL and only applies when crossing jurisdictions that may prohibit you from carrying in the manner prescribed by a state. In other words, if MD and VA have the similar transport laws for handguns, I don't need to lock anything up.

So both MD and VA allow the transport of uncased (and I would argue loaded [another discussion]) long guns. If I am driving down the 495 from MD to VA, do I need to follow FOPA? NO... I Don't... It doesn't matter since both states allow me to drive with a long gun uncased in plain view.

However, they were telling me it was "The Law".

Mark

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Hooray for the weekly "regulated" long gun thread!

Answer: collapsible stocks were regulated by the old AWB (good riddance), not by Maryland state law. It all goes back to what Markp said: gun dealers are scared to death of being shut down and/or imprisoned by the MSP. I understand their caution, but I'm sick of dealing with imaginary gun laws. Since an FFL is, by definition, someone whose livelihood depends upon gun sales, part of their business is to know the law.

Then again, part of any sale-driven business is friendly customer service, but that never stopped some gun shops I know...:innocent0

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It used to be one of the "evil features" in the federal Clinton era AWB. Along with bayonet lugs, flash hiders and pistol grips, some dealers that were not knowledeable of the law use the expired federal criteria instead of the current MD criteria. In one case, it is just strange, the HK-91A2 fixed stock is not regulated, the collapsible stock A3 is regulated, the HK-93 A2 fixed stock is regulated, the collapsible stocked A3 is not regulated, makes about as much sense as most other gun laws.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Hooray for the weekly "regulated" long gun thread!

Do I get bonus points or my knuckles smacked?:D

Anyway, I wouldn't really have a problem with a dealer saying '[xyz] is kind of a gray area for me so I err on the side of caution' instead of '[xyz] is the law' when it isn't.

Fortunately the gun shops that accurately keep up to date on these things tend to stay in business because they get more business.;)

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    In one case, it is just strange, the HK-91A2 fixed stock is not regulated, the collapsible stock A3 is regulated, the HK-93 A2 fixed stock is regulated, the collapsible stocked A3 is not regulated, makes about as much sense as most other gun laws.

I would also add that if a G3 clone had a thumbhole stock it is regulated too because the Springfield Armory G3 (aka the SAR-8) has a thumbhole stock and it is on the list. How stupid is that? :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom