• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Mail order is wonderful when you don't need something right now.

I would like to get some roll pin punches before the end of the week and am wondering who in the central Maryland area carries them. I am located just west of Ellicott City and don't mind driving about 45 minutes round trip for them. I have seen a 6 piece set at Sears for $17, but I am not completely sold on the quality from looking at them online. Looking for something like Grace or SK.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    For a MUCH higher quality than someone like Harbor Freight, try McMaster-Carr. They are a true industrial supply, not catering to Harry Homeowner. If I call in the morning, I will have the tools or fasteners by the next afternoon.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    For a MUCH higher quality than someone like Harbor Freight, try McMaster-Carr. They are a true industrial supply, not catering to Harry Homeowner. If I call in the morning, I will have the tools or fasteners by the next afternoon.

I don't think there could be any tools worse than Harbor Freight unless they arrive pre-broken. I bought a set of allen wrenches from there and that was the first and last purchase I will make from there. Talk about complete junk.

Thanks for the suggestion. I could probably go with Matco or Snap-On too and have them by the end of the week. They are just uber pricey.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    +1 for McMaster if they stock it. The stuff they sell is first rate, even though it's not obvious on their website. When I ordered a big laundry list from them a few weeks ago, including a few different ball pein hammers for better prices than mediocre stuff elsewhere, I was blown away when I opened the box and saw Vaughan hammers.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

I just checked out their website. The roll pin punches are reasonably priced and they look really nice. Do they have a store in the area, or is it all mail order?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Nothing local. Order turnaround times are super fast. Their shipping is reasonable and fast. I received the entire order from multiple warehouses two days later with standard shipping. If you order now, you might have it on Wednesday.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I don't think there could be any tools worse than Harbor Freight unless they arrive pre-broken. I bought a set of allen wrenches from there and that was the first and last purchase I will make from there. Talk about complete junk.

I bought a countersink bit from HF, got it home and opened the package - the thing was actually cast pot metal, and didn't even have a sharpened cutting edge... it wouldn't cut wood, let alone metal.

MrDman

Jul 19, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    You can look at MSC direct They have a warehouse in Harrisburg PA. place an order today will have it tomorrow. Looks like they have a store in Baltimore also They may have them on the shelf.

1550 Caton Center Drive
    Suite F - G
    Baltimore, MD 21227
    Local: (410) 644-1313
    Fax: (410) 368-3888

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks a bunch guys. Both of those websites are AWESOME. I actually wrote a thank you at 2:00 in the morning or so, and in the middle of it by 10 month old started crying and I never hit send. It had expired by the time I made it back to the computer.

Ended up ordering a 9 piece set from McMaster-Carr. Really like the fact that MSC Direct promises delivery the next day if the item is ordered by 8pm. That is an awesome delivery service. Thing is, the same 9 piece set of roll pin punches was $16 more.

Glad I have both tool sites in my bookmarks now and really surprised that there are places out there like this that I do not know about.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I don't know if these are carried in local stores

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6-pc...00943167000P?sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL

Craftsman 6 pc. Roll Pin Punch Set $16.99 00943167000

-----

Another useful punch, flat on one side

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/151542/schuster-ar-15-bolt-catch-punch-steel

Schuster AR-15 Bolt Catch Punch Steel $15.99 151542

-----

Schuster AR-15 Roll Pin Starter Punch Set 2-Piece Steel $17.99 (2-sided) 694883

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/694883/schuster-ar-15-roll-pin-starter-punch-set-2-piece-steel

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    McMaster-Carr is a fantastic source -- every order arrives quickly and I've never had an issue with order accuracy. Plus - they often have the items when other places don't.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don't know if these are carried in local stores

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6-pc...00943167000P?sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL

Craftsman 6 pc. Roll Pin Punch Set $16.99 00943167000

-----

Another useful punch, flat on one side

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/151542/schuster-ar-15-bolt-catch-punch-steel

Schuster AR-15 Bolt Catch Punch Steel $15.99 151542

-----

Schuster AR-15 Roll Pin Starter Punch Set 2-Piece Steel $17.99 (2-sided) 694883

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/694883/schuster-ar-15-roll-pin-starter-punch-set-2-piece-steel

I had been looking at them and they were available at the White Oak and Lakeforest Mall stores. I was going to have my brother pick them up for me, but I liked the Grace ones better. Then I looked at the ones on McMaster-Carr and decided those were really nice too. So, for $60 I bought a 9 piece set from them.

jake12

May 18, 2010
    I got a set from The Gun Shop last year. Try giving them a call. They are an IP here.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Brownells and Midway are very fast. I normally get stuff in a couple of days.

McMaster-Carr is typically the next day.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Brownells and Midway are very fast. I normally get stuff in a couple of days.

McMaster-Carr is typically the next day.

I ordered a bunch of tools on Thursday. A roll pin starter punch set from Brownell's that came on Saturday and a bunch of stuff from Midway (e.g., vise blocks, punch set, brass hammer, etc.). I am still waiting for the stuff from Midway to be delivered. I forgot to include the roll pin punch set. I tried putting the roll pins in with a standard punch and that was a mess. I want to build everything this upcoming weekend, so I want to make sure the roll pin punch set gets here before Friday. Hopefully, McMaster-Carr comes through with the set.

Sadly, in my haste last night I forgot about Grainger. It appears that they have a set in stock at the Lanham store for $45, and I only searched on a single set. I would have been willing to make that drive and am kicking myself for forgetting about Grainger because I have bought from them before. Oh well, another one of life's reminders of prior learning lessons.

Good thing is that is McMaster has not delivered by Friday, I'll be taking a ride to a Grainger store on Friday.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    FWIW Bass Pro often has various vise blocks and the Lyman punch sets (pin and roll pin) in stock.

Hope that info will help somebody else out because I ordered the vise blocks and a punch set from Midway, the starter punch set from Brownells, and the roll pin punch set from McMaster-Carr. Think I am pretty set tool wise for now.

Amazing how easily roll pins go in with a roll pin punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom