When supporting local shop goes wrong...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • survivorRob

Apr 1, 2009
    We call that ammo with "character." That's why he sold it for so much over the nice shiny stuff from Hornady!!!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Looking at those cartridges, I think I can see the problem...

You don't know Jack about ammo.

That's what milspec M193 is supposed to look like.

I want to apologize for being a dick. I get that way when I post before my coffee kicks in.

And, welcome to the forum.

Signed,
    Grouchy jerk (sometimes)

Sent from my iSlate using Prehistoric Birds

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Where are you located? I'm curious as to where this gunshop is.

Anyways, as has been said already, that ammo is fine. In fact, the best lot of ammo that I ever ran through my garand was some of the most crappy looking surplus 30/06 I ever saw.

You have to realize they don't clean or shine the brass after annealing, and it's been sitting long enough to be termed "surplus" in a box that's not airtight. The main thing you need to realize is that I've had lake city m855 before that have been used as decorations in my FISH tank for weeks, that still fired fine, so trust me, the inside of the ammo, where it counts, is sealed and fine.

A lot of places in MD charge a bit over MSRP, but I agree you shouldn't support that. The best thing you can do is vote with your wallet, and things will change or they will go under. It sucks though, because there are so few gunshops around, and it would be much more to everyone's liking if they just pulled their heads out their asses after a cordial and straightforward conversation than changing their mind once they're bankrupt.

Honestly, the whole mentality of taking the locals for all their worth really pisses me off. I can abide higher prices if they're good people and are honestly trying to do right by you, but the kind of demeanor you described is all to common, and it needs to be erased or at least corrected.

Watchmyshoes

Nov 8, 2012
    I want to apologize for being a dick. I get that way when I post before my coffee kicks in.

Signed,
    Grouchy jerk (sometimes)

no prob, just glad I have somewhere to come to find good info

Watchmyshoes

Nov 8, 2012

Anyways, as has been said already, that ammo is fine. In fact, the best lot of ammo that I ever ran through my garand was some of the most crappy looking surplus 30/06 I ever saw.

You have to realize they don't clean or shine the brass after annealing, and it's been sitting long enough to be termed "surplus" in a box that's not airtight. The main thing you need to realize is that I've had lake city m855 before that have been used as decorations in my FISH tank for weeks, that still fired fine, so trust me, the inside of the ammo, where it counts, is sealed and fine.

A lot of places in MD charge a bit over MSRP, but I agree you shouldn't support that. The best thing you can do is vote with your wallet, and things will change or they will go under. It sucks though, because there are so few gunshops around, and it would be much more to everyone's liking if they just pulled their heads out their asses after a cordial and straightforward conversation than changing their mind once they're bankrupt.

Honestly, the whole mentality of taking the locals for all their worth really pisses me off. I can abide higher prices if they're good people and are honestly trying to do right by you, but the kind of demeanor you described is all to common, and it needs to be erased or at least corrected.

pg county

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere

Sorry personally I cannot abide by higher prices with a side order or shitty service. That is paramount for these brick and mortars to stay in business. Then to jack up the prices for the convenience of walking in is just wrong. I got plenty of parcel carrier options...I can wait.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy 3 or iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Looks like my federal.............its overpriced but it shoots. Now if you opened the box and only had a couple rounds that would be grounds for war.

P.S. I used to try to buy one gun a year from local shops, after my recent rounds............na.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Some of you guys are blasting local shops, and I agree some are crappy, but some have GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Gun Connection, Scotts Gunsmithing (they get your firearms squared away) , A&D Pawn, 2A Sales, Shooters Discount, ect. I've bought from all of them. I've done my rounds too, and I don't look like your average NRA member/shooter/2A guy and these places have all taken care of me. Don't talk much about how much i do know or don't know when I'm in there. I don't go in often enough for them to recall my face (so I'm not a regular), and I always get fair and respectable treatment. I don't buy anything off of the net that I can get locally. Maryland is not that big, drive a little longer and get some good service. Also on another note this panic has messed up our hobby. I'm afraid to shoot the ammo I've stored up because of these prices, I.m afraid I'll never be able to afford to shoot my rifle again.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    A while back I ordered some 7.62 Nato from an online vendor who had it for a great price. When I opened the box most of the brass was discolored with the black patches like the 5.56 you purchased. I was surprised that they were that discolored brand new from a sealed factory box. But they shoot just fine.
    A different time a buddy of mine went to one of the local gun shows and picked up some baggies of .303 British. The vendor had taken the ammo out of the bandoliers and off of the stripper clips so he could sell them separately. When he got home he noticed one of the ziplock baggies was .308. He offered to sell the baggy to me since he didn't have anything chambered in .308. I agreed, because more ammo is good. It came with a head stamp I didn't recognize. I did some light internetting and discovered that it was from India. Most of what was imported here was ammo that was rejected by the Indians for being very sub standard. Some business bought it all to sell here. There's a couple of threads about it on here. I got to looking at some of the rounds and I found two that had different rim sizes. Enough to where I could see it with my naked eye. So I was stuck with a bag of ammo I didn't want to chance blowing up my M1A. So I disposed of it. I got Munsoned on that deal.

Dialtone

"Assimilate THIS...."
    Mar 5, 2012
    PG County
    O.P. has .40 S&W-ed himself.

What does that mean?

Realco Guns is located in District Heights MD on Marlboro Pike just over a mile from the Maryland / DC line. They get alot of bad press because they are so close to Southeast DC and a few guns recovered by DC Police have been traced back to this shop. It's a family owned business and has been around for over twenty years. There prices can be a little higher than other shops but they are usually decent folks to work with.

akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    Realco has always been overpriced. Better to call them in advance to get their overpriced responses, than wasting your time driving. I think they once told me $200 for a FFL handgun transfer, I think I hung up on them. LOL! Gunbroker.com and AMMOMAN.COM/AMMOSEEK.COM are my best friends in the gun game! Annealed or not, the ammo does look terrible. Get some good fresh ammo online for cheaper.

Last edited:

bangbangbye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2012
    Why don't you just go down the road to the "good" LGS and buy your stuff there for less? Oh, you can't.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Signed,
    Grouchy jerk (sometimes)

:lol::lol: Yea, you ought to hear him when he's FULL-cocked.....:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033