• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    So I'm not sure how often any of you sell or buy guns from an individual vs a shop but eventually I will consider selling one of my guns and to get as close to what I spent on it I will probably be selling it to an individual.

My question is this... where do you meet to show it? With all of the craigslist robberies/murders going down I'm wondering how smart it is to have someone who is interested in guns coming to your house. The only nice thing is at least I can carry at my own home but why put yourself in that situation.

Are you allowed to meet at a police station to show the gun or will the police consider that a waste of their time? I would think this is a good suggestion considering if it were to get sold then we would end up at a police station to do the paperwork anyway.

what do you all think?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Get your 50 posts and sell them through the classifieds here.
    Most MDS members are trustworthy.
    Other than that how about arranging to meet at a local range.

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    Get your 50 posts and sell them through the classifieds here.
    Most MDS members are trustworthy.
    Other than that how about arranging to meet at a local range.

yeah I'm working on it. Its one of the reasons why I joined the forum. I've spent years reading it but never had the urge to pick a username and password. Figured I didn't need to fill the board with :thumbsup: posts like many do.

The forum is a nice resource to answer all of my questions that aren't already answered by the search function.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I would not show at an FFL without their prior approval. They're in buisness to sell guns, they may well not want "competition". I'd also not just pull into the police parking lot to sell guns as the officers may frown upon guns be handled in their parking lot and react in a less than positive fashion.

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md
    Maybe a local gun shop? Just an idea. I have no experience with this myself. But seems to be a good a place as any. Safe for you and the possible buyer.

Nope. Bad idea, you are meeting at the shop of a dealer you are basically competing with? Nope. Doesn't work. Meet at a public shooting range. Better yet, never sell your guns. Only buy new ones!!!

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    I would not show at an FFL without their prior approval. They're in buisness to sell guns, they may well not want "competition". I'd also not just pull into the police parking lot to sell guns as the officers may frown upon guns be handled in their parking lot and react in a less than positive fashion.

of course I would check with the police station first. Especially here in MD.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    So I'm not sure how often any of you sell or buy guns from an individual vs a shop but eventually I will consider selling one of my guns and to get as close to what I spent on it I will probably be selling it to an individual.

My question is this... where do you meet to show it? With all of the craigslist robberies/murders going down I'm wondering how smart it is to have someone who is interested in guns coming to your house. The only nice thing is at least I can carry at my own home but why put yourself in that situation.

Are you allowed to meet at a police station to show the gun or will the police consider that a waste of their time? I would think this is a good suggestion considering if it were to get sold then we would end up at a police station to do the paperwork anyway.

what do you all think?

I always pick a semi-public haven that allows me privacy to show off guns but busy enough that a shout will get someone's attention. I've been lucky in that, most of my sales take place at my parents house. Also, if you're going some place that you are unfamiliar with, do some initial recon, make sure it's open with little concealment (preferably none) and arrive for your appointment 15 minutes early. Park N Rides are good for this and also over quick escape routes if you need to bail in a hurry.

As for price, you're likely NOT going to get near what you paid for it unless its damn near brand new. Firearms are depreciating assets (I'm not an accountant so if this term is wrong, correct me).

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md
    A few years ago, somebody got killed supposedly buying an AK47 from someone he met at a bar. They went to a public park on Warren road to try it out. The two sellers killed the buyer for his cash.

Anyone remember this story? I may have the details wrong.

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md
    As for price, you're likely NOT going to get near what you paid for it unless its damn near brand new. Firearms are depreciating assets (I'm not an accountant so if this term is wrong, correct me).

If you buy used, buy quality, maintain them, and hold them for the long term, guns typically go up in value. They should not depreciate. They aren't an investment, since they do not create wealth, but they are a reasonable hedge against inflation!

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    I always pick a semi-public haven that allows me privacy to show off guns but busy enough that a shout will get someone's attention. I've been lucky in that, most of my sales take place at my parents house. Also, if you're going some place that you are unfamiliar with, do some initial recon, make sure it's open with little concealment (preferably none) and arrive for your appointment 15 minutes early. Park N Rides are good for this and also over quick escape routes if you need to bail in a hurry.

And if something does go wrong and there is shouting going on this would leave you in a public place with a gun. Not sure the police would like that considering a public place isn't on the MSP's approved list of place to take your gun.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I've traded and purchased some stuff from various members over the last year or two and have never had a problem. Also sold a 700 *heartbreak* to fund the 5R just a short time ago. My OPINION is that this is not a place where criminals troll for hits.

When I sold my Remmy and I met the guy, he told me flat out that he had read a bunch of my previous posts before he made the decision to deal with me. For my part, I just keep the meeting to a public place and keep everything friendly. If I meet someone and I get a bad vibe I have no problem saying I'm not comfortable with the situation and rolling out but it hasn't happened yet. Its my a$$ and I have no intention of risking it for a good deal.

The one time where I made a purchase and the person was less than friendly on the forum I ended up meeting the guy and he was LEO and seemed like a fine person, just not a touchy-feely writer on the forum. Do your business in public in the daytime and keep your wits about you and you oughta be OK.

Just my .02 YMMV

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    And if something does go wrong and there is shouting going on this would leave you in a public place with a gun. Not sure the police would like that considering a public place isn't on the MSP's approved list of place to take your gun.

If you're transporting it in accordance with the law then there shouldn't be a problem and if you're worried about saving your ass, you can deal with the consequences (if any) later. Chances are the dude will either be trying to kill you or take your stuff and run or both. I'd rather be alive and worrying about an upset cop rather than be dead, have my gun stolen, and the cops telling my wife I'm dead.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    If you buy used, buy quality, maintain them, and hold them for the long term, guns typically go up in value. They should not depreciate. They aren't an investment, since they do not create wealth, but they are a reasonable hedge against inflation!

Well that's true. The gun hasn't gone up in value, your dollars are just worth less.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Dimly lit alley on the west side usually suffices, never knew of any other way.......?:mdpatriot

CRJUPro

Dec 20, 2011
    Maryland
    You could sell it at a range as long as you do not set up a stand. Act as if you two are just shooting together. Let the buyer shoot a few rounds and look at the piece. That should avoid the "competition" schtick.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Nope. Bad idea, you are meeting at the shop of a dealer you are basically competing with? Nope. Doesn't work. Meet at a public shooting range. Better yet, never sell your guns. Only buy new ones!!!

Depends on your relationship with that FFL. I have never shopped at Shooters Discount, because of it's distance from me, so I would never ask if I could do this there but there is a local shop that the owner knows I probably would turn around and use that $$ to buy something in their shop.

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    An outdoor range is the only way to go. Plenty of armed folks in close proximity, no one bats an eye at the potential buyer fondling the firearm. Hell, you could even send a few rounds down range while you are there to make the trip worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom