• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Does anyone know or care to speculate what happens if a person fails to renew their HQL?
    Do you lose your right to purchase more guns or do you then need to surrender guns purchased with an HQL?
    SB 281 does not seem to mention this, or I couldn't find it in that scribbled up POC!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    5 years..

No.. you will not loose your previous purchase.

Its like saying.. you forgot to renew your license and MVA come to your house and tow all your cars.. don't think so.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It's just a license to purchase.

If you don't want to buy another handgun, there's no need to renew it.

It's only purpose it to make it more difficult to exercise your civil rights. It's intended to be an infringement, sort of like the old Poll Taxes that were used to keep blacks from voting.

If you didn't want to vote, you didn't have to pay the poll tax.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    5 years..

No.. you will not loose your previous purchase.

Its like saying.. you forgot to renew your license and MVA come to your house and tow all your cars.. don't think so.

Umm, no, final version is 10 years.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    It's just a license to purchase.

If you don't want to buy another handgun, there's no need to renew it.

It's only purpose it to make it more difficult to exercise your civil rights. It's intended to be an infringement, sort of like the old Poll Taxes that were used to keep blacks from voting.

If you didn't want to vote, you didn't have to pay the poll tax.

There seems to be plenty of verbiage in the new law about what disallows you from both possessing weapons and holding an HQL, including crimes and mental health issues. It also seems to set the stage for "we will come get your guns" if you fall out of qualification.

I was VERY opposed to getting an HQL but am starting to think this thinking is wrong. Since I am not a criminal I have little to worry about. Perhaps I will take part in overloading the system with apps. :party29: All these visits to the LGS has made me realize I am not done buying guns, my wallet however, begs to differ!

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    All these visits to the LGS has made me realize I am not done buying guns, wallet however, begs to differ!

Glad I am not the only one... I plan on getting my HQL also as soon as the process is available. the real urgency right now is for the items that will be banned post 10/1 and that is draining my wallet

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    ?? I recognize the words as English... but I don't understand the sentence :D

Si no quieres comprar otra arma de fuego, no hay que renovarlo.

Si vous ne voulez pas acheter un autre pistolet, il n'y a aucun besoin de le remplacer.

如果您不要買另一把手槍,沒有需要更新它。

다른 권총 구입하기를 원하지 않는 경우 해당 갱신 필요가 없습니다.

:lol2:

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Si no quieres comprar otra arma de fuego, no hay que renovarlo.

Si vous ne voulez pas acheter un autre pistolet, il n'y a aucun besoin de le remplacer.

如果您不要買另一把手槍,沒有需要更新它。

다른 권총 구입하기를 원하지 않는 경우 해당 갱신 필요가 없습니다.

:lol2:

Can't read those, how about this one?

إذا كنت لا تريد أن تشتري مسدس آخر، هناك حاجة إلى تجديد.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's intended to be an infringement, sort of like the old Poll Taxes that were used to keep blacks from voting.

HQL is aimed squarely at preventing black and Hispanic people from buying regulated guns. The core of the Democratic Party is racism and xenophobia defined. It's all about building giant plantations the new-school way.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There seems to be plenty of verbiage in the new law about what disallows you from both possessing weapons and holding an HQL, including crimes and mental health issues. It also seems to set the stage for "we will come get your guns" if you fall out of qualification.

That's not new. They already will come get your guns if you "fall out of qualification."

There was a thread last winter I think, by a guy who had his guns confiscated. He claimed he got a ticket for taking a leak in the bushes somewhere, "Public Urination." Like an idiot, he ignored it, so he got a "Failure to Appear." Then he went to a commercial pistol range, Continental, I believe.
    He did not realize the MSP regularly check the sign-in books at those ranges, and run them against their list of prohibited persons. By blowing off that ticket, he earned a visit from MSPs special Gun Collection Squad.

So I don't think the HQL adds anything there. If any of us screws up, we can expect a visit.

HQL is aimed squarely at preventing black and Hispanic people from buying regulated guns...

I think it's aimed at discouraging and preventing EVERYONE from buying handguns, but it certainly does disproportionately affect low-income people.

That's the very reason we were able to get onerous training requirement reduced to the current free video training back in 2002.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Just kidding. It should be in the MSP portal.
    Mine doesn’t show up in my portal.
    how does one go about requesting one when their permit is issued, mine will be expiring next year so I might as well get a jump on a new one.

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    Mine doesn’t show up in my portal.
    how does one go about requesting one when their permit is issued, mine will be expiring next year so I might as well get a jump on a new one.
    This portal, right? It's different than the one for 77Rs and handgun permits. I just went to the wrong one to see when mine expired.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    This portal, right? It's different than the one for 77Rs and handgun permits. I just went to the wrong one to see when mine expired.
    Where in the world did that one come from, I’ve never seen that one before. Tried to put my user name from the other portal and it won’t work, go figure, same agency but can’t use the same info to log in.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Where in the world did that one come from, I’ve never seen that one before. Tried to put my user name from the other portal and it won’t work, go figure, same agency but can’t use the same info to log in.
    Yeah did the same this morning..

Entered my email on new portal and nada.. request for new password.. still nothing. Created new account..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom