• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    You know, with the murder rate in the city heading looking to bust 300 this year, with the major increases in gang activity in the entire metro area, what are the chances of getting "Shall Issue" passed next year?

How did they do it in other states? I have only seen minimal coverage in the local media, and that was at the time of the vote. We need to get the word out that Maryland needs a "Shall Issue" law. How do we do it?

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    You know, with the murder rate in the city heading looking to bust 300 this year, with the major increases in gang activity in the entire metro area, what are the chances of getting "Shall Issue" passed next year?

How did they do it in other states? I have only seen minimal coverage in the local media, and that was at the time of the vote. We need to get the word out that Maryland needs a "Shall Issue" law. How do we do it?
    http://forum.minutemanhq.com/phpBB2/index.php

http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

http://www.gunowners.org/

http://www.thehighroad.org/

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I don't know if I have the solutions, but I can offer up my opinion what I think that we're NOT doing:

1. Going to where the shooters AREN'T. We've been basically engaging in mutual admiration societies where we are voicing excellent, well-reasoned opinions and facts to those that already agree with us.

2. Cultivating year round relationships with our legislators. We're real interested in people like Jacobs, Hooper, Brochin, etc from January to April but you have to wonder what we're doing the other 8 months of the year. The legislator of the month program was my idea to try to make some inroads here.

3. Having a zero-tolerance policy for anti-gun and anti-gun self defense articles in the news, both print and electronic. Frosh called us a bunch of nuts on the network news and there was absolutely no backlash against him.

4. Keeping the argument simple. The right to self-defense is a human right. Forget the quotes from Patrick Henry, James Madison, et al and stick with the simple statement that we have the right to self-defense. We get into rhetorical arguments full of flowery language written by a lot of guys who are dead. I love the founding fathers' words, but the people we are trying to win over could give a rat's patoot.

Like I said, I've got no solutions.....but there's some thoughts that might generate some discussion.

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Has anyone reached out to other states that have been successful in passing "Shall Issue" laws. I know MSI have chick from Texas up here, and she is a powerful speaker, and I chipped in what I could to help pay her airfare, but we still didn't even get out of the committee.
    And I know we have supporters in Annapolis, but do we have any champions making Shall Issue even a topic for debate? If not, how do we get one?

I'm just so frustrated by the fact that I feel my wife is in danger on a almost daily basis. I know she has the skill to defend herself, I just wish she had the tools.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Deacon,

We have a lot of friends, most notably Dwyer, that have made their focus on getting shall issue bills passed. The trouble is that the naysayers in the gun community come back and attack those that put up those bills. The naysayers say that those that put in the shall issue bills are short sighted and grandstanders who don't want to work within the system to get things changed.

The system that those people speak of is the reason we are in the situation that we are currently in.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you some more specifics if you are interested.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I don't know if I have the solutions, but I can offer up my opinion what I think that we're NOT doing:

1. Going to where the shooters AREN'T. We've been basically engaging in mutual admiration societies where we are voicing excellent, well-reasoned opinions and facts to those that already agree with us.

2. Cultivating year round relationships with our legislators. We're real interested in people like Jacobs, Hooper, Brochin, etc from January to April but you have to wonder what we're doing the other 8 months of the year. The legislator of the month program was my idea to try to make some inroads here.

3. Having a zero-tolerance policy for anti-gun and anti-gun self defense articles in the news, both print and electronic. Frosh called us a bunch of nuts on the network news and there was absolutely no backlash against him.

4. Keeping the argument simple. The right to self-defense is a human right. Forget the quotes from Patrick Henry, James Madison, et al and stick with the simple statement that we have the right to self-defense. We get into rhetorical arguments full of flowery language written by a lot of guys who are dead. I love the founding fathers' words, but the people we are trying to win over could give a rat's patoot.

Like I said, I've got no solutions.....but there's some thoughts that might generate some discussion.

+1

You've given this a lot of thought.

I think my only contribution is a continuation of #1- We need to find the most effective way of getting our message to those who are in the position to actually DO something about it. Finding politicians that not only agree with us, but will actively GO AFTER a reasonable CCW law should be our highest priority. That, in the end, will be the only way we'll ever see a CCW here in Maryland.

Apr 18, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    That comment by Frosh really burned my @ss. I was mighty inclined to call him and let him have it, but what good would have come of it? It would have only bolstered his opinion. However, there does need to be backlash against these people when they make outragous comments about us. How to do that......I don't know.

Yea, we can support pro 2A candidates who run against them, but we've been doing that. Frosh is still there.

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    The way I understand it, as chair of the judicial committee, Frosh can block the vote on the bill keeping off the floor for a general vote. So basically, one single person is the only thing holding this up. There has to be some kind of check and balance system in place to over ride this crap.

Next year, how can we get the bill on the floor?

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    We've got to get Frosh out of there Deacon. He's from MoCo- it won't be easy.

At the very least, the next time he's up for re-election, spreading the word about his stance on the Jessica's Law bill should help. Having issues with parts of the bill is one thing, not bothering to even be in the room during the hearing is simply disrespectful. And there are a lot more parents that can get angry over that than firearm owners about his other antics.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    That comment by Frosh really burned my @ss. I was mighty inclined to call him and let him have it....

You know what WOULD make a difference?

Make a list of Sen Frosh's vote on every bill he voted on, make flyers and start to walk the neighborhoods in his district.

All you REALLY need to do is show people that he actively blocked Jessica's Law and I believe that we can make a big difference.

If we can make a simple list of stuff he blocked in addition to Jessica's Law and include Brady-Like Rhetoric like "Frosh voted against SB-xxxx which would have allowed you to protect your wife and children from violent criminals in your own home without the fear of losing your home in legal fees...." and we can make a big dent.

I really think we need to poor it on just before the next legislative session and target 2-3 Legislators counties and demonstrate that we can muster support and totally innundate them with letters/calls/e-mail. Finally if we can target Frosh or some other Anti's re-election Campaign and boot him in the next election other legislators will stand up and take notice.....

This is a long term battle that isn't going to see a real difference for at least 2 elections.....

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    The other thing to consider is that while Frosh (Judicial Chair) is a dick and overtly Elitist Anti-Rights....he is predictable and ultimately reasonably fair if you forget about how he always hears our bills last....:cool: We could do a lot worse....

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    jpk1md illustrates one of the significant differences between us and many of the states where shall issue was won after significant fights. We just don't get out there and DO anything.

I really believe, being a MD native who spent 15 years in VA, the MD residents have been conditioned to believe that there is "someone" else handling things. We know the welfare/entitlement crowd believes it...but I think that it has insidiously entwined itself into even us, who are as about as independent minded people as there are in this state.

In VA, look at what VCDL does....they show up in force at anti-gun meetings and take up all of the seats so no one else can get in. They video tape the MMM meetings and broadcast them making asses of themselves to the world.

Here in MD? We feel lucky that 100 people came out from one of the most densely populated states in the country to speak in opposition to a bill that would have essentially stripped us of the right to own 99% of the guns on the market. We congratulate ourselves glowingly for getting a sponsor for a CCW bill that doesn't even make it out of the committee where we have a majority of friends.

Frosh calls us nuts on network TV and we sit there and take it.

Dwyer gets into a tough campaign and it comes down to 3-4 people getting out there and holding signs for him and knocking on doors. We can count that as victory since he won by 30 votes.

To the point though....we need to be agitators with zero tolerance for anti-gun assholes like Frosh. If it means using Jessica's Law as a lever against him, then so be it. The anti gunners used Dwyer's anti-gay position against him ad damned near succeeded

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    When in doubt read my sig

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    As did some of the "pro" gunners, which is part of the problem. :sad20:

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner.

I was being uncharacterisically kind in my assessment of things.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner.

I was being uncharacterisically kind in my assessment of things.

I heard that jackhole stroking his ego on the NRA Roundup one evening on Sirius Patriot 144.....I'm not referring to the Honorable Sen Dwyer but one of the jackals that wasted a lot of NRA Money.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom