What's the Best 22 Ammo you've ever shot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    CCI stingers, CCI velocitors.
    Stingers and Velocitors are not particularly accurate out of any .22 firearm. That's not to say you can't hunt with them because that is what they were made for but the groups are about twice as big as CCI Standard Velocity. To get supreme accuracy out of just about any .22 you have to stick to subsonic ammo, pretty much just the opposite of most centerfire guns.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Stingers and Velocitors are not particularly accurate out of any .22 firearm. That's not to say you can't hunt with them because that is what they were made for but the groups are about twice as big as CCI Standard Velocity. To get supreme accuracy out of just about any .22 you have to stick to subsonic ammo, pretty much just the opposite of most centerfire guns.

Steve Boelter (RRDVegas) has nice reviews on Velocitors, Stingers, and other 22LR that reiterates what you've said above ...

http://www.rrdvegas.com/stinger.html
    http://www.rrdvegas.com/velocitor.html

Very informative website in general. He also seems to drop in at Rimfire Central every so often (at least in threads that I have looked up information).

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I think some people confuse reliability with accuracy. No serious target shooters I know of shoot HV ammo. Of my many 22's they all seem to like something different but the CCI SV and SK Std Plus are the most accurate for the money. Of course there is always that 1 in 100 gun that shoots Rem Thunder Turds.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I've got a couple of picky eaters as far as rimfire semi autos go, and these HV rounds pushed the slides back every time. I'm not a paper puncher, rather a can/bottle breaker anything that would bust or go flying when struck from 50 yards and closer. Never had a problem popping clothes pins at 25 yards with either the Stingers/Velocitors. My father stashed a bunch of each away and only after he passed away did I realize how many he hoarded for me and my son! Miss that guy!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've got a couple of picky eaters as far as rimfire semi autos go, and these HV rounds pushed the slides back every time. I'm not a paper puncher, rather a can/bottle breaker anything that would bust or go flying when struck from 50 yards and closer. Never had a problem popping clothes pins at 25 yards with either the Stingers/Velocitors. My father stashed a bunch of each away and only after he passed away did I realize how many he hoarded for me and my son! Miss that guy!

They are good plinking ammo and will recycle every SA I have. I much prefer plinking to paper punching but have no place to do it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think some people confuse reliability with accuracy. No serious target shooters I know of shoot HV ammo. Of my many 22's they all seem to like something different but the CCI SV and SK Std Plus are the most accurate for the money. Of course there is always that 1 in 100 gun that shoots Rem Thunder Turds.

As I said, my one .22 target pistol shoots Federal American Eagle with more ACCURACY than any other ammo I tested at the time.

I did not test Eley, as I did NOT want to find out the pistol liked it (this was in the 90s, and less Eley selection at a higher relative price).

OTOH, my Sig Mosquito so far ONLY functions with CCI MiniMag (I have only tested a couple of types of ammo).

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    wolf 22 match and sk are the same ammo produced by the same people. they are both listed on the wolf website but are NOT produced by wolf. the latest word was produced in Germany eley primed cases and vhitavorri powder. wolk has never produced their 22 match ammo, they just package it and now the same with sk.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My Ruger Mark II is nearly as accurate with good HV as it is with its preferred match ammo.

I was going to have Al Marvel fit a Douglas match barrel to it. He told me before he would do that to get 50 rounds of every 22 LR round I could find, sit at the bench with bags and evaluate each load. He told me it was his experience the Ruger barrels were as good as any he could fit.

I used a rim thickness gauge to segregate decent target grade ammo into rim thickness batches. It shot nearly as well as Federal GM Match ammo.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The WORST I've ever shot (accuracy wise) through my S&W mdl 41, was Ely Match.

The BEST I've ever found, is Federal Hi-Power.
    98¢ for 100 rounds. I used to buy it by the brick.
    I have ONE brick left.

Federal Lightning used to shoot quite well, too. 49¢ for 50 rounds.

I miss the good ole days.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    The WORST I've ever shot (accuracy wise) through my S&W mdl 41, was Ely Match.

The BEST I've ever found, is Federal Hi-Power.
    98¢ for 100 rounds. I used to buy it by the brick.
    I have ONE brick left.

Federal Lightning used to shoot quite well, too. 49¢ for 50 rounds.

I miss the good ole days.
    I've had similar experience trying various Eley ammo through my M41. It likes Federal Champion, CCI SV, and CCI Green Tag. As a matter of fact, none of my guns show a preference for Eley.

As for CCI Stinger, it is the most accurate I've tried in my Ruger Single-Six convertible. Perhaps it has something to do with the specs to accommodate the WMR? I also recall reading that Layne Simpson had a custom rifle built specifically to shoot Stingers.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I think Stingers work best with a slightly different twist rate. I think Wolf and SK are actually made by RWS. I think they make the Norma TAC-22 and Match-22 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom