• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    10/22. Pimp it out with the rest of the money.
    All I would bother with are tech sights or a scope, and an extended mag release. It's a perfectly fine rifle without throwing a fancy set of furniture on it.

If you were looking for something centerfire, I'd jump straight to an AR-15. Plenty of good options there at the ~$700 price point. But I would personally recommend starting with a .22LR rifle...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    a .22 is the way to go for a first rifle to learn marksmanship fundamentals for cheap. If you want a bigger thump...try this..
    http://www.basspro.com/Remington-Model-700™-ADL™--308-Rifle/product/10218754/160566
    They're on sale and come with a hard case and sling.

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-Model-700-SPS--223-REM-Varmint-Rifle/product/10218336/36938
    this would give you lots of cheap ammo options and is a fantastic shooter. The extra $400 can go to a good mount and scope.

http://www.basspro.com/Savage-12-FV--223-REM-Varmint-Rifle/product/10217955/94249
    savage also makes a DAMNED fine gun similar to the remington.

Feb 3, 2012
    MOCO
    Get that .22, and then get a nice centerfire rifle. There are LOTS to be had for under $800, for all different uses.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Get a 200 dollar .22 and an 800 dollar scope.

+1

The scope will be a good lifetime investment. You can transfer it to other rifles as you eventually upgrade. I'd suggest the 10/22 or a savage bolt action in .22lr, and it should have open sights as well (shoot open before you mount your scope, it's the best way to learn). I would not get anything other than a .22lr Unless you want to hunt deer sized prey right away. Also, if you plan to hunt do some research on the rules for the land where you plan to go. Many counties specify shotgun or muzzle loader only.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

A budget of up to $1k will buy you a lot of rifle...

Here's what I would do...

Go to an indoor gun range and rent a 22 Caliber...

The 22 Caliber is a starter Caliber that you will probably get tired of pretty quickly...

The 22 has "0" recoil, but doesn't do well outdoors over 75 yards with a mild breeze...

?? Will you ever hunt with a rifle..??

If so a 22 is too small a caliber, but it's fun & cheap to shoot...

So what I would recommend is a 223 Bolt action, magazine fed rifle for a starter...

It's a manual operation as opposed to a semi-auto...

223's is a good accurate round, the ammo is cheap & readily available...

It's also fun to shoot, with low recoil...

Hope this helps...

And if you ever needed it for self defense it would work very well...

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    Sgt Preston here...

A budget of up to $1k will buy you a lot of rifle...

Here's what I would do...

Go to an indoor gun range and rent a 22 Caliber...

The 22 Caliber is a starter Caliber that you will probably get tired of pretty quickly...

The 22 has "0" recoil, but doesn't do well outdoors over 75 yards with a mild breeze...

?? Will you ever hunt with a rifle..??

If so a 22 is too small a caliber, but it's fun & cheap to shoot...

So what I would recommend is a 223 Bolt action, magazine fed rifle for a starter...

It's a manual operation as opposed to a semi-auto...

223's is a good accurate round, the ammo is cheap & readily available...

It's also fun to shoot, with low recoil...

Hope this helps...

And if you ever needed it for self defense it would work very well...

This seems like good advice. I don't have any experience with the rifle, but that new mossberg MVP seems like it would fit the bill,and you could top it with a Zeiss 3-9x40 and come in at budget. engage armament in the IP section has a thread with pictures of the rifle, they may even still have some.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I was thinking more of the lines of ARs, carbines?

colt
    spikes
    bcm

they're all around $1000

if you want to spend substantially less, s&w m&p-15 sport can run down near $700 and are solid. Their regular m&p-15's are more mil-spec, except for their barrel twist and steel.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    ARs are not starter rifles, in spite of what a lot of people think. Drop the coin on a 10/22, learn the basics, then spring for the bigger gun. You'll get a LOT more practice out of the 10/22 since the ammo is so cheap.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Sgt. Preston, I have been shooting for close to forty years. I never get tired of shooting .22. As far as it being to small to hunt with, I have never hunted squirrel with anything but a .22. I have bought 4 .22s this year alone. I own many guns of all different calibers or gauges but I never get tired shooting my .22s. I personally feel everyone should start out on a .22.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    ARs are not starter rifles, in spite of what a lot of people think. Drop the coin on a 10/22, learn the basics, then spring for the bigger gun. You'll get a LOT more practice out of the 10/22 since the ammo is so cheap.

Another benefit of the .22 rimfire is that there is less muzzle blast and recoil.

Every gun owner should have at least one .22 rimfire handgun and rifle.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I would pick a bolt action single shot .22. You will learn the fundamentals and the real importance of making that first shot count. Blasting away may be fun but it does not ecourage or reinforce the dicipline that a single shot will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom