Whatever happened to "good ol' farm" shooting ??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    All I see now is mostly boo-hoo crying about ranges.
    Ranges are crapfull of guys trying to be "more tactical" than the next guy.

Where or if there is anybody left who can go "plink for plink" on cans out on the farm ? Anybody who goes shot for shot on old tree stumps, downed logs of whatever ?

Guess I must be Elite to be able to just walk outside and go "tactical" on whatever I feel without all the "looking over my shoulder", are you "rapid firing", can I get all my mags loaded and still shoot in my 1/2 hour time slot.

I ain't never been much on "paper" shooting.

good man. nothing beats private land shooting. well maybe private land machine gun shooting...!

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I like to call myself a plinker. A few years ago my home range allowed the shooting of metal targets with rim fire at 100 yards. In the last year the only time I shoot at paper is to sight a gun in. The rest of my shooting is at plinking targets. We even plink at reactive targets with center fire.

As far as farm land shooting. It's all been developed or punks have spoiled it for us all.

g19fanatic

Aug 2, 2010
    Lex Park, MD
    i also grew up shooting 'on the farm' (even tho it was just our back yard). We had steel railroad plates setup at 35, 75 100, 150, 200 yards and a compressed cardboard target at 15 yards. You pick your target and wait for the amazing 'clink!' when you hit something. Nothing like shooting at the 200 yd plate with a .223 for the first time as a 14 yr old and hearing the ringing of that plate...

now that i'm down here in somd instead of north eastern pa... i am also forced to goto the grove (i do not know anyone to get sponsored at sannerslake)... Tho in an about a decade, we will be ready to move into a larger house and I will definitely be looking for some land with it to do it like I used too...

Punchabearinnamouf

High Tech Redneck
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hollywood, MD
    I've only been to a range once. I have my woods, and an old gravel pit at my friends house to go to.
    If I wasn't able to shoot in my woods I wouldn't have been able to fully appreciate the power of my M44 when I shot it into the stream and sent a 30' geyser into the air :D

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Most of the areas you would think you could shoot some whiney jerk has had a million dollar house built because they thought it would be neat to live and the country and call the cops on everyone trying to have a little fun. Im pretty much stuck just going to a range myself but so far range experiences have been good. I have been to hap baker and horst&mccaan so far. Plan to check out freestate when the budget allows.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Customers of mine are welcome to shoot here too ( I have a lane that goes to about 100yards max). Not too many take up on the offer, but then alot of them already have some other bit of rural land to shoot on. Like where they hunt is private land and the land owner may let them target shoot some when it's not a hunting season.

Really it's just a get to know someone with farmland sort of thing. You show the landowner you aren't trash, and they respect you in turn.

I don't know if people who live bordering on Prettyboy sneak in there to shoot at cans and stuff. It is more than likley not allowed first of all! But with few rangers in there and if you clean up, and your neighbors don't complain, you could get away with it in the out of the way areas.

Speaking of neighbors, around my area, no one really cares if another neighbor has an AK party every other weekend, or has a few hours of sporting clays with buddies now and then. Heck tannerite is even on the menu, or maybe it is black powder anvil jumping. Or someone owns a cannon. And when I hear stuff like that, it makes me want to know who it is LOL.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Learned to shoot on Uncles farm in Middletown 50 years ago.
    Still to farm shooting when up the cabin in WV.
    Nothing beats shooting a milk jug,beer can or water bottle full of water. Then watch it explode when hit.
    Trying to hit a little plastic armyman at 75 yards with a 22.
    Think it's the relaxed atmosphere and diverese selection of targets one can shoot on farms that make it so much fun.
    Well that and an occasional groundhog:)

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Learned to shoot on Uncles farm in Middletown 50 years ago.

Fuggedabout it now. I remember hitting the crest of Gambrill as a kid (35 years ago) and seeing mostly farmland in the Middletown valley. Now there is nothing but lights and a building restriction :sad20:

Had the pleasure of shooting on a friend's farm near Urbana a couple of weeks ago, tested a few AKs and the daughter had a blast with a .22 and getting her boots dirty in the muck after all this rain.

There's just not much land these days, especially near cities, and all it takes is one nervous neighbor... if Wyoming wasn't so far away I'd have already saved up for my 40 acres and mule!

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    I grew up in west virginia and my grandparents owned some land by a creek...there were about 150 yards...then the creek and a mountain going up...a perfect backstop. I used to plunk there and would go to a "range" that wasn't monitored and now i live in allegany co maryland and ride a 4 wheeler about 1/2 a mile and just shoot on this state land next to a resovoir. no dnr ever go there and they'd probably not care since its just a 22 year old shooting guns instead of smoking crack rocks and robbing grannys.

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    I'm lucky enough to still I've private land to shoot on. About 45mins from my normal home we have land in north central-ish VA, built my own private 550yard range (soon will complete the final push to 600).

Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm one of the lucky ones too I guess. Grew up in Clarksville and my best friends family owns Maple Lawn Farms in Fulton which at that time was 900ish acres of all you can shoot, hunt and four wheel. Can't shoot too much there anymore but my parents have always had a house and some land in Hedgesville, WV where I shoot twice a month.:gun7:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    My in-laws save everything.......so when I was at our property in Fawn Grove, I came across a little "My Little Pony" that was the size of a chihuhua. That was real fun to shoot at and blast the eyes, legs and head off of. Shooting outdoors at "junk" is awesome. I'm fortunate enough to be able to have a place like that where I can get some distance and close range shooting in.

Top_Predator

Nov 9, 2009
    Bel Air MD
    I have always shot on the farm. A friend of mine took me to the Elkton range last month. Hearing and eye protection a must. Shells were flying every where. I hated it.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Grew up working on a farm, would find the "high spot" in the field, making sure of my backstop, scan the fields for ground hogs, changed from rifle to XP100 .221 fireball. Friend had a farm within walking distance..shoot off the porch across a stream at cans, bottles, washing machines, drums, etc. His father had pre 64 Winchesters, Model 88 and 100 in .243...those were the good old days.

-Rock

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    Hell, that's how I shot my first pistols. The girlfriend's dad had pulled out all the guns from the safe, and upon hearing I'd never shot pistols, threw a beer can into the back yard, gave be a Ruger Mk. II, a Single Six and a Beretta Tomcat and told me to "get after it." :D

:lol:

I can just see my neighbor's response when i open up with an AR on my small residential lot in PG county....

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Is this your way of inviting us to your house to shoot? :D

Enjoy your private land for shooting; most don't have this luxury.

LOL even if all you do is have me make a fur hat for you, you are one of my customers. I will judge you first though, such as "is this person mature and responsible?", "does this guy seem "off"?", "is he flirting with me in an unsavory way?". I don't need asshats target shooting back here.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    In Harford County all the good ol farms are now housing developments!

LOL WUT? :tdown:

There's a lot of construction going on in the business parts; road, business, and housing but there's certainly still a ton of farm land. Don't know what you're talking about, dawg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom