• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Bad powder, bad primer, poor seating?

Rounds take anywhere between 6 and 13 whacks with an inertia puller to get the apart.

All help is appreciated!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Back up a step and tell us what you mean by "partial ignition" and why you think this is happening.

If you're taking them apart it sounds more like you have some failure to fires. Is that so? Are there good primer strikes? Do the primers fire?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm afraid I have more questions than answers, bullet weight? magnum or standard primer? AR, bolt action, or other?, is the problem consistent, or random? and what indiations are you getting that it is indeed a partial ignition, low velocity, failure to cycle the action(in an auto) lots of residue or squibs and hang fires?

In most grain weights under 70gr that is a pretty light load, and W748 doesn't do well loaded down especially in smaller cases, and can be a hard powder to light, many loads for it call for magnum primers. It also tends to be a fairly low pressure powder for it's burn speed. For it to cycle an AR action it has to be loaded really hot, usually above 26gr for a 55gr bullet, and even then it might not be enough to cycle before you start going over published specs. I have tried it, and hated it for use in ARs, although it made for a decent light load in 30-06 and 7.62X54 bolt guns, after the pound of powder ran out, I didn't buy any more as I got much better results with H355 and varget in .223, and H4895 in 7.5/7.62/308 caliber bolt guns and autos, especially mil-surps.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    Whats your bullet weight ???

My match load for RRA NM 1-8
    69 SMK 23.5 win 748 CCI450 (mag) Fed case 2.260

This load has never given even the slightest problem for me.
    It is scary accurate in my AR.

Last edited:

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    I'm afraid I have more questions than answers, bullet weight? magnum or standard primer? AR, bolt action, or other?, is the problem consistent, or random? and what indiations are you getting that it is indeed a partial ignition, low velocity, failure to cycle the action(in an auto) lots of residue or squibs and hang fires?

55 gr vmax. Rem 7 1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest. Cases all sized and cleaned properly. AR-15. Very consistent occurrence. Low velocity (both sound and recoil indicated, not to mention there were no new holes on a board 5 feet wide 3 feet tall), I had to cycle the action manually, and after every one I checked the barrel to make sure the bullet exited and there would be large (about the size of the powder) chunks of residue in the barrel. When I would patch it out the patches looked dirtier than I have ever seen, but there wouldn't be powder chunks coming out of the barrel. Just TONS of black residue.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    55 gr vmax. Rem 7 1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest. Cases all sized and cleaned properly. AR-15. Very consistent occurrence. Low velocity (both sound and recoil indicated, not to mention there were no new holes on a board 5 feet wide 3 feet tall), I had to cycle the action manually, and after every one I checked the barrel to make sure the bullet exited and there would be large (about the size of the powder) chunks of residue in the barrel. When I would patch it out the patches looked dirtier than I have ever seen, but there wouldn't be powder chunks coming out of the barrel. Just TONS of black residue.
    Case lube left inside the case after resizing?

Just my thoughts =

:innocent0

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Sounds like a powder issue..check measured charges for correct wt.,also reveiw your case cleaning methods..Lube on powder!I hand lube on a RCBS pad the old fashion way and have never( since 1961) had an FTF,so go bake to the basics the answer is there!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

Do you have any other calibers you could test this powder with?

I'd be very suspicious of that particular batch, perhaps it was contaminated, mislabeled, or even tampered with.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    I would increase the charge a grain or two and or use a mag primer.
    If you have the same problem with 26g win748 55g bullet you have a powder issue.

Have you checked your bullet diameters ??

Last edited:

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    I would increase the charge a grain or two and or use a mag primer.
    If you have the same problem with 26g win748 55g bullet you have a powder issue.

Did you check all of the flash holes to make sure there was no media in them?

I use a Bic mechanical pencil to clear them all after tumbling.

Sounds like a powder issue..check measured charges for correct wt.,also reveiw your case cleaning methods..Lube on powder!I hand lube on a RCBS pad the old fashion way and have never( since 1961) had an FTF,so go bake to the basics the answer is there!

Last night I used a new set of cases (same tumble batch as the last set, but didn't use the exact same cases) and went about the business. Measured everything I could think of, and made sure all was clear. Used 26 grains. Went to the range today and forgot to bring a magazine :o Hand fed the gun and all 5 went boom correctly and grouped decent. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom