• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoFro

Aug 24, 2010
    Queen Anne's County
    Also, Federal law allows for a waiver of the NICS check for agencies who have a licensing scheme like the HQL. You need to ask for your legislators to pass a bill that will waive the 1 gun a month, the 7 day wait and additional background check for those who hold and HQL. The State of Maryland could save millions of dollars by the manpower saved. These troopers could then be freed up to actually locate violent criminals. FSA13 took 19 troopers off the road where they could work to reduce violent crime.

I personally think the HQL is a great idea, but only with changes along these lines on the retail side. Allow the HQL to streamline the purchase process by ditching the 77r and it would be worth having. Maybe even allow private transfers with it too, but I'm sure the state wants to keep their "voluntary" registration scheme going.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I personally think the HQL is a great idea, but only with changes along these lines on the retail side. Allow the HQL to streamline the purchase process by ditching the 77r and it would be worth having. Maybe even allow private transfers with it too, but I'm sure the state wants to keep their "voluntary" registration scheme going.

You're living in that other Maryland

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    It was all those things, but also largely so Marty O could say "look what I did":mad54::sad20::tdown:

Yep. Exactly.
    I was shooting at Continental about a year and a half ago, finished and was checking out the showroom. A young lady about 30ish was looking to buy a gun there. She settled on a purchase and was asked if she had an HQL. "What's that?" She said.
    All I could think was, jeez! This young lady finally got the courage up to enter a gun store to make a purchase to be able to defend herself and is met with, "Do you have an HQL?" Absurd.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County

I agree if it allowed for no wait, no background check, and CCW.

but since it doesn't do anything but allow you to get ANOTHER background check at time of purchase it makes no sense and should be thrown out.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The sad part is I went through this crap when I was stationed in Illinois. I still have the POS "gun card". That was an excellent example of one hundred monkeys flinging poo at a wall and having some of it stick. Deja vu all over again, dammit! :mad54::mad54:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It would sort of make sense, if handguns became NICS only with the HQL.

NICS to check for anything you may have done since getting the HQL that would disqualify you from purchasing.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

NICS to check for anything you may have done since getting the HQL that would disqualify you from purchasing.

Makes too much sense. Your argument is invalid....

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

It could space out my buying (or even decrease it). More than once I will get two handguns (with the second purchase not being the motivating factor to get me into the LGS) simply because I'm there and don't want to deal with 4 total trips to a store vs 2 trips (for paperwork and then for pickup). There's also a cost savings in transfer fees when I buy this way. I almost never do this for a long gun, which involves 1 trip (and often for an item that costs less).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My Army Vet bro was dead set against us getting into guns because of all the personal info we have to repeatedly give out. It's a very messed up system and seems to only really be about revenue for the state
    It doesn't matter. I know that registration is a precursor to confiscation. The question is, what will you do when they come for them? That is the reason the 2A exists. Responding to such an action with deadly force is written into our founding document! Will you hand them over, or will you do what the Framers would want you to do. Settle this in your mind now.
    I love the HQL because without it I never would have started building my own handguns and rifles! No serial numbers, no licensing, no fees, no fingerprinting, no classes, and no BS paperwork required! THANKS HQL!:thumbsup:
    I would never ever do such a thing. I am dead set against all the jigs that make this simple and cheap.
    It was all those things, but also largely so Marty O could say "look what I did":mad54::sad20::tdown:
    Look where it got him. He thought he was going to win a national election on gun control. It's still his mantra. How is he polling?

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    The HQL is all the things that the commenters before me have said. Personally, to me, it is the line in the sand. I will not comply, I have not complied and I never will comply regardless of the consequences (i.e., not buying new guns). "Shall not be infringed" is worthless, meaningless dribble when you allow the infringers to decide that some things are really not infringements. It is even more odious when they have the force of law behind them them to give it and themselves an air of legitimacy and thus can also compel compliance. I believe, fully, that the liberal control freaks in this state cackle with glee every time an HQL is completed because they know that if we accept this, we will accept even more restrictions without even a murmur. The proof of this is self-evident.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The HQL is all the things that the commenters before me have said. Personally, to me, it is the line in the sand. I will not comply, I have not complied and I never will comply regardless of the consequences (i.e., not buying new guns). "Shall not be infringed" is worthless, meaningless dribble when you allow the infringers to decide that some things are really not infringements. It is even more odious when they have the force of law behind them them to give it and themselves an air of legitimacy and thus can also compel compliance. I believe, fully, that the liberal control freaks in this state cackle with glee every time an HQL is completed because they know that if we accept this, we will accept even more restrictions without even a murmur. The proof of this is self-evident.

I understand your point, but I see it differently. I will not let their stupidity get between me and a hobby I really enjoy. I will continue to buy handguns.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As exists , it is what everybody has been saying here.

IF hypothetically it eliminated redundent repeated checks, and the 7 day, and the 1 per 30days, I would still have objections , but would make a legitimite conversation.

All of option 2 PLUS also serving as CCW ( aka carry) permit , would trip the issue for me.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I understand your point, but I see it differently. I will not let their stupidity get between me and a hobby I really enjoy. I will continue to buy handguns.
    I agree. The more that I buy, the bigger the FU to O'Malley. I can understand those that already have most everything that they want not bothering, but there's new things that keep getting added to my list or I discover older items that I want (and can't get through a C&R). Similarly, with people just getting into guns that live in MD and want a Glock, etc, of course I would encourage them to get an HQL. More gun owners is a good thing, and once they go through the process, they begin to resent 2A restrictions (when it wouldn't be on their minds in the past). If MD gets to the point that they're going to take our handguns, it will be sufficient motivation for me to move to a nearby state (and still keep my commute to 40 minutes or less).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If someone has an HQL and then does something that makes them prohibited they will be automatically flagged in MSP system.

No they won't the HQL system is simply to track who has an HQL and who doesn't. Nothing more, nothing less.

The HQL monitors the 10 year criminal history of the person.

No it doesn't, it is not an active database that does not monitor anything.

I would assume MSP would immediately attempt to confiscate the HQL and regulated firearms if one flags.

You assume incorrectly.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    The HQL database could easily have the capability of monitoring those who have been arrested. The notification system would be tied to your fingerprints and/or your SID (State Identification Number). The HQL database was originally intended to do just that. Why they stopped short of implementing this plan likely has to do with funding. It's rather simple that whenever anyone is charged with a crime in Maryland or their information is entered into the District Court's system, the databases should communicate to create an alert. A similar alert system is currently in place for those who hold a Handgun Permit. The State Police is notified electronically if the holder of a Handgun Permit is arrested. This would seem to be the common sense liberals are looking for. It would make sense to be alerted the moment the holder of an HQL becomes suddenly prohibited. It would also make sense that if this system were put into place then they would not have to run another background check every time the holder of an HQL purchases a firearm. Rather, allow the dealers to simply verify if the HQL is still valid through a limited access web portal. Wasted funding and wasted resources from start to finish.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Don't you have to be convicted before they come knocking?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I

• I would never ever do such a thing. I am dead set against all the jigs that make this simple and cheap.

• For a poor man or woman without the need of expensive tools and equipment, to be able to make our own pistols and rifles at home is a GIFT FROM GOD.
      THANK YOU JESUS!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
      (AND THANK YOU STEALTH ARMS! http://www.STEALTHARMS.net)
      Here's my very first shots from the first .45 I ever built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom