• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Since Elk Neck doesn't allow shot on any of their ranges does anyone have any other suggestions? Do H&M or Continental allow #4,#5, or #6 shot?

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    You need to be more specific about what you are patterning for. Is it lead or steel shot? The shot sizes you mention are in the middle sizes- on the small end for waterfowling which requires steel or other non-toxic (I use steel 4s for duck); too big for clays as 7 is the largest allowed; just about right for upland like pheasant, but you aren't exactly in season. I wouldn't use any you mention for home defense so you can see why your request needs more clarification. If you are not patterning steel, you should be able to do it on an indoor range like Continental. You still need to call them. Recommend you pattern at 25 yds for target and 40yds for hunting. Make yourself a pattern board divided into quarters. Look it up on the net for dimensions, etc. You also need to know your pellet count if you really want to understand your percentages and POA/POI for your loads.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I need to pattern my shotgun as well. I'm trying out 5's and 6's. Looks like most magnum turkey loads are copper jacketed lead shot. If I find a place to test I'll let you know.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A lot of private clubs offer open-to-the-public trap and skeet shoots. Find one of these and approach the operators and ask if they have a patterning board you can use.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    for hunting/whatever, get some old newspaper, spread it out on a hill side (note should be a couple of hunderd yards from anything), step back to the distance you think you'll shoot something, and let a few shells rip.

If you're performing competition, Find the distance, repeat first paragraph using the specified distance.;)

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    for hunting/whatever, get some old newspaper, spread it out on a hill side (note should be a couple of hunderd yards from anything), step back to the distance you think you'll shoot something, and let a few shells rip.

If you're performing competition, Find the distance, repeat first paragraph using the specified distance.;)

I know how to pattern it, but I'm looking for somewhere to do it legally and within the ranges rules.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    The way i read the regs they just dont want people shooting shot shells on the rifle range so pattern your gun in the skeet area at Elk Neck.
    Here is the line from the regs.
    "No shot shells for patterning. Shot shells may only be used at the skeet area."

I have used big cardboard in the skeet area to pattern shotguns in the past.
    I used the open area to the right of the rifle range.

I may have been doing something i shouldnt but didnt see any harm. I think for obvious reasons shooting shot shells on the rifle range would tear up the supports and baffles not to mention peppering everyones targets down range.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Hm... that makes sense. I think I'll try and give them a call tomorrow to see if I can clarify a way to do it and remain within the rules or perhaps get special permission.

wapiti692

Oct 29, 2008
    Hazzard County
    sje0123 , what manufactor gun are you going to pattern? Mossberg 835 w/ winchester high velocity turkey loads in #5 pattern very well and kill turkeys out to 50 yards +

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Mossberg 500 w/ a H.S. Strut Undertaker Super full Turkey Choke Tube. I'm sure it'll pattern well. I just want to see where I stand at a given yardage. It's gotten great reviews and for $19.99 it was a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom