• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I think that the Detonics Mk-VI .45 in stainless was a good gun when it came out. Small, stainless, .45acp, shot well, and easy to clean:

acfb0b7.jpg

I bought one when they first came out, only to make the mistake of having the TSW DA/SA conversion done to it. The gun was no longer as fun to shoot :(

Looks like this (not mine in pic) now:

FullShot.jpg

The best buy in my collection is a FEG PJK-9HP. This is a strict clone of the Browning/FN Hi Power, finished to very high standards. I paid $350 for mine LNIB a few years ago. I spent money with a gunsmith to upgrade the trigger, but no more than I would have with a Browning. If you can get a good one, grab it - they're becoming increasingly scarce and prices for good ones have crept up.

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    I would agree CZ's are under recognized as a new handgun.

But used Smiths & Wessons (like their revolvers) & used Glocks seem unrecognized to me.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I think that the Detonics Mk-VI .45 in stainless was a good gun when it came out. Small, stainless, .45acp, shot well, and easy to clean:

acfb0b7.jpg

I bought one when they first came out, only to make the mistake of having the TSW DA/SA conversion done to it. The gun was no longer as fun to shoot :(

FullShot.jpg

Why's the rear sight so far fwd?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    CZ 75, only thing aside from a 1911 that Jeff Cooper ever spoke well about, still a bargain and an amazing platform.

CZ 82, quality pistol at surplus prices, nice trigger, 12rd mag, very accurate for a small pistol.

:thumbsup: Four good choices.

Luger, point shoots well for just about anyone, comfortable for a large range of hand sizes, very strong action. Drawback is they are not dirt tolerant.

1911, shoots well, can be used empty as a bludgeon, reloaded and it still shoots. ;)

Ruger Mk.I and Mk.II, most people can shoot them well, fairly cheap.

Browning Hi-Power, decent shooter, reliable and the simplest trigger job is just removing the magazine safety and that makes a huge difference. Can also be used as a bludgeon and still function later.

That's regrettable, but the only parts this gun will ever need are springs, and I've got spares. Also magazines. In a world full of striker-fired pistols, having a decent hammer-fired, all stainless steel gun, will be pure gravy. In the past, all the so-called Saturday Night Special autos (like the Ravens, Davis, Jennings, Sterlings and others) were all striker-fired pistols. They were cheap to make and many worked remarkably well. The idea of driving a firing pin forward by way of a spring was an innovative way to build a cheap, reliable pistol that would work shot after shot without malfunctions. But I have reservations about investing $500 in a striker-fired pistol that costs as much as a hammer-fired one. It was, in my view, a way for the entire industry to get rich by cutting some pretty hefty corners. Everyone seems to be headed in that direction, though, and there's a reason for that. There's more money to be made.

So unless one is willing to buy a 1911 or a Sig, these older pistols will, I think, increasingly become classics. Another "sleeper" pistol that nearly everyone seems to miss is the Taurus PT 92. And as much as I detest their revolvers, their Beretta clones actually make them better in some ways. In the early 80s, I found these autos to be as reliable as Berettas, but not nearly as accurate. And the finish was dull and listless. The quality was just not there.

Now, things have changed. My current PT92 is stainless steel with a beautifully plated frame and, unlike the current Berettas, they're not two-tone, which is a huge plus. Everything's silver and shiny, and the safety is the cocked-and-locked type, not a hammer drop, which I think is better. The gun has a hammer and is much less expensive than most striker-fired autos.

_
    +1,but I have 99.

acfb0b7.jpg

FullShot.jpg

I like that alot.

Ringo

Oct 10, 2014
    Severn
    I really like those CZ75's. They're sexy! Gotta be the "B" series though. I hate the one with the rail.

Agreed. Everyone has their reasons, but the rail was just a complete turn-off for me. Still torn whether I like my decision of the black polycoat over the matte stainless. Regardless, both are purty

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    In .22LR I love the S&W 422/622/2206 & 2214/2213 series of pistols. Smith stopped making them in the mid 90's - some say for lack of sales #'s, some because they were relatively expensive to produce. An odd configuration in that the barrel sits under the slide, not within it. Most parts are still available from Numrich. EWK Firearms sells a suppressor thread adapter and replacement firing pins (supposedly a better design than OEM).

Attachments

• sw-22061.jpg
      sw-22061.jpg
      17.8 KB · Views: 725

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That's regrettable, but the only parts this gun will ever need are springs, and I've got spares. Also magazines. In a world full of striker-fired pistols, having a decent hammer-fired, all stainless steel gun, will be pure gravy. In the past, all the so-called Saturday Night Special autos (like the Ravens, Davis, Jennings, Sterlings and others) were all striker-fired pistols. They were cheap to make and many worked remarkably well. The idea of driving a firing pin forward by way of a spring was an innovative way to build a cheap, reliable pistol that would work shot after shot without malfunctions. But I have reservations about investing $500 in a striker-fired pistol that costs as much as a hammer-fired one. It was, in my view, a way for the entire industry to get rich by cutting some pretty hefty corners. Everyone seems to be headed in that direction, though, and there's a reason for that. There's more money to be made.

So unless one is willing to buy a 1911 or a Sig, these older pistols will, I think, increasingly become classics. Another "sleeper" pistol that nearly everyone seems to miss is the Taurus PT 92. And as much as I detest their revolvers, their Beretta clones actually make them better in some ways. In the early 80s, I found these autos to be as reliable as Berettas, but not nearly as accurate. And the finish was dull and listless. The quality was just not there.

Now, things have changed. My current PT92 is stainless steel with a beautifully plated frame and, unlike the current Berettas, they're not two-tone, which is a huge plus. Everything's silver and shiny, and the safety is the cocked-and-locked type, not a hammer drop, which I think is better. The gun has a hammer and is much less expensive than most striker-fired autos.

_[/

QUOTE]
    I used to have an older Taurus similar to that, wish I never would have sold it. First centerfire pistol I ever bought. Always ran great. Reliable and accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    the ruger SR series are never getting their due it seems

my Sr40c and Sr9c are much much MUCH nicer to carry than the glock 26 it replaced for that specific style of carry.

I ended up sending in the barrel of my Sr40c to get melonited with an order of parts we sent in a while back (Yes I know I'm all one note, but it really is that good) and my only regret is that I didn't send both of them in. I know that handgun ammo is not known for burning up barrels, but it's good to know my barrel is basically invincible now, as well as the fact I no longer have to worry about galling- the action was smooth before, but it's MEGA smooth now. Just more than anything pissed me off to have that stainless barrel sticking out of my otherwise all black firearm. Good news is that since the slide was already nitrided on that one (the other is the stainless model) the color matches EXACTLY between the barrel and the slide

But yeah- sr series pistols.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    In .22LR I love the S&W 422/622/2206 & 2214/2213 series of pistols. Smith stopped making them in the mid 90's - some say for lack of sales #'s, some because they were relatively expensive to produce. An odd configuration in that the barrel sits under the slide, not within it. Most parts are still available from Numrich. EWK Firearms sells a suppressor thread adapter and replacement firing pins (supposedly a better design than OEM).

Really like my 422. Accurate, reliable and light. Just got the EKW barrel thead adapter and tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom