• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    It has to be the Smith & Wesson 5906. Just look at it. All steel 1911s are selling for a mint these days. They will never, ever be able to make guns like this again. If you don't get one while they're still available at a decent price, you never will.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    It has to be the Smith & Wesson 5906. Just look at it. All steel 1911s are selling for a mint these days. They will never, ever be able to make guns like this again. If you don't get one while they're still available at a decent price, you never will.

I herd that S&W has or will stop carrying replacement parts for these pistols.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    As long as the locking block isn't fatigued and/or cracked. They are pretty much an unobtanium part from what I understand. I wouldn't run anything but light factory loads through it for that reason...

That's why I have 4 of 'em-have my own parts stash..........:D

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I heard that S&W has or will stop carrying replacement parts for these pistols.
    That's regrettable, but the only parts this gun will ever need are springs, and I've got spares. Also magazines. In a world full of striker-fired pistols, having a decent hammer-fired, all stainless steel gun, will be pure gravy. In the past, all the so-called Saturday Night Special autos (like the Ravens, Davis, Jennings, Sterlings and others) were all striker-fired pistols. They were cheap to make and many worked remarkably well. The idea of driving a firing pin forward by way of a spring was an innovative way to build a cheap, reliable pistol that would work shot after shot without malfunctions. But I have reservations about investing $500 in a striker-fired pistol that costs as much as a hammer-fired one. It was, in my view, a way for the entire industry to get rich by cutting some pretty hefty corners. Everyone seems to be headed in that direction, though, and there's a reason for that. There's more money to be made.

So unless one is willing to buy a 1911 or a Sig, these older pistols will, I think, increasingly become classics. Another "sleeper" pistol that nearly everyone seems to miss is the Taurus PT 92. And as much as I detest their revolvers, their Beretta clones actually make them better in some ways. In the early 80s, I found these autos to be as reliable as Berettas, but not nearly as accurate. And the finish was dull and listless. The quality was just not there.

Now, things have changed. My current PT92 is stainless steel with a beautifully plated frame and, unlike the current Berettas, they're not two-tone, which is a huge plus. Everything's silver and shiny, and the safety is the cocked-and-locked type, not a hammer drop, which I think is better. The gun has a hammer and is much less expensive than most striker-fired autos.

_

Navyblue

May 30, 2013
    Calvert
    I have a CZ P07 and I love it. The Canik 55 TP9 is a awesome steal. J&G sales have them for less than $300 and they get great reviews.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Smith & Wesson SD9VE

At around $300, it's a steal, and the new trigger is not horrible, like the previous SD and Sigma models.

roguesam

Jun 30, 2014
    EAA's SAR K2-45 Semi Auto Pistol- Sarsilmaz. NATO spec-ed, all steel, 14+1 capacity, 45 ACP, adjustable rear sight and chromed barrel and ramp. This thing is BUILT! Down side? It comes in over 50 oz's with a full magazine.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I think CZ qualifies as the worst kept secret. People like me like to think they're amazing and no one else knows about them, and 10 years ago that might have been true, but now I kind of think that the secret has gotten out. Not that I can't pretend I have a hipster pistol.

Attachments

• 977551_10200237427278187_824031733_o.jpg
      977551_10200237427278187_824031733_o.jpg
      45.7 KB · Views: 386

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    That's regrettable, but the only parts this gun will ever need are springs, and I've got spares. Also magazines. In a world full of striker-fired pistols, having a decent hammer-fired, all stainless steel gun, will be pure gravy. In the past, all the so-called Saturday Night Special autos (like the Ravens, Davis, Jennings, Sterlings and others) were all striker-fired pistols. They were cheap to make and many worked remarkably well. The idea of driving a firing pin forward by way of a spring was an innovative way to build a cheap, reliable pistol that would work shot after shot without malfunctions. But I have reservations about investing $500 in a striker-fired pistol that costs as much as a hammer-fired one. It was, in my view, a way for the entire industry to get rich by cutting some pretty hefty corners. Everyone seems to be headed in that direction, though, and there's a reason for that. There's more money to be made.

So unless one is willing to buy a 1911 or a Sig, these older pistols will, I think, increasingly become classics. Another "sleeper" pistol that nearly everyone seems to miss is the Taurus PT 92. And as much as I detest their revolvers, their Beretta clones actually make them better in some ways. In the early 80s, I found these autos to be as reliable as Berettas, but not nearly as accurate. And the finish was dull and listless. The quality was just not there.

Now, things have changed. My current PT92 is stainless steel with a beautifully plated frame and, unlike the current Berettas, they're not two-tone, which is a huge plus. Everything's silver and shiny, and the safety is the cocked-and-locked type, not a hammer drop, which I think is better. The gun has a hammer and is much less expensive than most striker-fired autos.

_

I do find it rather annoying that Beretta allows Taurus to make a purrrtier version of their own damned gun! That thing looks sweet!

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I do find it rather annoying that Beretta allows Taurus to make a purrrtier version of their own damned gun! That thing looks sweet!

The story behind this is actually pretty cool. Basically the Brazilian government contracted Beretta for a bunch of 92's so Beretta opened a factory in Brazil. Eventually Beretta sold the factory to Taurus, along with all of the equipment in it. So Taurus started pumping out these guns using the exact same stuff that Beretta was using to make their guns. That's why the PT92 is so much better than everything else Taurus makes; it's actually made on good Beretta equipment and there's a whole lot less QC issues.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    My vote goes to the Springfield xdm. I love mine. I've run into a lot of folks who ask me if it's a glock Or m&p. I tell them Springfield and they're like, wait that's not a 1911.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No, it actually gets even better than that. Back wirth 1st gen M92's the Brazil plant was making exact licensed Berettas. After the buyout , the both evolved in different directions. And for all the Taraus hate , the M92 family is one of the handfull they have figured out , and removed the bugs.

In today's world , in a simila rspirit , the Stoger Cougar is a licsened beretta Cougar for much lower $ .

In the not currently mfg , but made in large numbers dept - Italian CZ-75 clone, pre 1988 . The guns, or in some cases the major components thereof were mfg by Tangfolio ( currently know as mfg of the EAA Witness line of pistols). The earlier ones were made with slide mounted safeties. Imported under a whole lotta different brand names, in more variations than can count. If you can live with not having cocked & locked, the 1st gen clones had everything else going for them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Trust me , there are XD fans who will look at an SD , and ask if that is a Glock.

But while we're on Springfields , with all the hype over XDm , the regular XD has dropped under the radar now, but still a fine and very interesting pistol.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Trust me , there are XD fans who will look at an SD , and ask if that is a Glock.

But while we're on Springfields , with all the hype over XDm , the regular XD has dropped under the radar now, but still a fine and very interesting pistol.

GRIP ZONE

Attachments

• xd-mod-2.jpg
      xd-mod-2.jpg
      23.1 KB · Views: 339

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Luger, ...

1911, shoots well, can be used empty as a bludgeon, reloaded and it still shoots. ;)

Ruger ...

Browning Hi-Power,... Can also be used as a bludgeon and still function later.

I sense a theme here! And not just Bolts - a few other posters had the same thoughts.

(It happens to be one I agree with, but I'm an old, dumb Jarhead, so... :D )

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    The story behind this is actually pretty cool. Basically the Brazilian government contracted Beretta for a bunch of 92's so Beretta opened a factory in Brazil. Eventually Beretta sold the factory to Taurus, along with all of the equipment in it. So Taurus started pumping out these guns using the exact same stuff that Beretta was using to make their guns. That's why the PT92 is so much better than everything else Taurus makes; it's actually made on good Beretta equipment and there's a whole lot less QC issues.

Interesting. How bout the steel though? Any steel issues with the rest of the Taurus line? If so, same potential for the PT92?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom