What minimum barrel length needed for 29" if I go with Magpul MOE SL-K stock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Think I have decided to go with a Magpul MOE SL-K stock and standard carbine length buffer tube in lieu of the Vltor 6 position buffer tube.

I don't own a MOE SL-K stock, but I have one rifle with a MOE carbine stock on it. That stock measures 6.9" and the MOE SL-K is supposed to measure 6.5". That rifle measures 18.5" to the front of the upper receiver with the MOE carbine stock fully extended. I am guessing that with a MOE SL-K stock, it would measure 18.1", which means I need a 12" barrel at the minimum on all three builds to make the 29" minimum OAL since 1" of barrel length is inside the upper receiver and cannot be counted toward the OAL.

Anybody build an SBR off of the Magpul MOE SL-K stock and can confirm this?

Does what I wrote above sound right?

Between the NFA and this 29" OAL Maryland requirement, this subject is both overwhelming and mind numbing. I wish some of the people that are on the fence could see just how ridiculous/cumbersome some of the current laws are.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I think you should make your decision based on the barrel length you want to use, not the stock you like. Also if Engage's lawsuit goes through and we somehow win, it will be easier and cheaper to change out your stock.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think you should make your decision based on the barrel length you want to use, not the stock you like. Also if Engage's lawsuit goes through and we somehow win, it will be easier and cheaper to change out your stock.

Thing is, I am wondering why barrel length really matters in our situation. I could understand if we could build up a rifle less than 29" OAL, because a shorter barrel with a really short stock like the Magpul SL-K would mean a really short SBR. However, since we are required to have a minimum 29" OAL, the rifle is going to be the same length regardless. I have always thought that the longer barrel, within reason, is better. The goal of an SBR is to have a small rifle for maneuverability, but in Maryland we are subject to a 29" OAL right now. If somebody can show me where it is actually more beneficial to have a 8.5" barrel on a .300BLK versus a 12.5" barrel, then this would become somewhat easier except for trying to get to that magical 29" OAL from the shorter side of things. Lots of 8.5" barrels available for the .300BLK, which would make for an awesomely small OAL SBR IF Maryland did not have this ridiculous 29" OAL requirement.

As far as it being cheaper to change out the stock, I'll cross that bridge when Engage wins the lawsuit. Good excuse to build more uppers. lol

My other question is how exact does what I submit to BATF on my Form 1 have to be for OAL? If I put down that the rifles will be 29.1" and then one turns out to be 29.1" and the other two turn out to be 29.5", am I headed to prison? Coming up with an OAL without actually building the rifle is ridiculous. Actually, this entire process is ridiculous since a criminal will just take a hacksaw to a barrel if he/she really wants an SBR.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    When you use a compact stock you will normally yse it fully extended. To get the same LOP with a regular or longer stock, you will probably only use the second position.

With the compact stock it is at 29" when in use. With a regular or long stock you will be <27". Of course this varies based on stock and buffer tube. With a thicker buttpad you can get the length when you are actually using it below 26".

That assumes your configurations both start with a OAL of 29"

In short, if you start with a longer stock and/or thicker buttpad, when you actually use the rifle it will be shorter given the same barrel lengths.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    When you use a compact stock you will normally yse it fully extended. To get the same LOP with a regular or longer stock, you will probably only use the second position.

With the compact stock it is at 29" when in use. With a regular or long stock you will be <27". Of course this varies based on stock and buffer tube. With a thicker buttpad you can get the length when you are actually using it below 26".

That assumes your configurations both start with a OAL of 29"

In short, if you start with a longer stock and/or thicker buttpad, when you actually use the rifle it will be shorter given the same barrel lengths.

Problem is, I actually like my Magpul MOE with it in the first position. I get where you are coming from now. If I wanted a standard length of pull, as if I was using my shotgun or my other full size bolt rifles, then a shorter barrel would be good.

I still do not understand how using a Vltor system, or something else like it, or increased recoil pad length helps me to get a shorter rifle while the rifle is in use. I will have to look at the Vltor 7 position system again. Is the stock in the same place in position 1 on the Vltor 7 position system as it would be on a standard carbine buffer tube, but with the Vltor system the stock can be extended further out for that additional OAL to get to 29"?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Thing is, I am wondering why barrel length really matters in our situation. I could understand if we could build up a rifle less than 29" OAL, because a shorter barrel with a really short stock like the Magpul SL-K would mean a really short SBR. However, since we are required to have a minimum 29" OAL, the rifle is going to be the same length regardless. I have always thought that the longer barrel, within reason, is better. The goal of an SBR is to have a small rifle for maneuverability, but in Maryland we are subject to a 29" OAL right now. If somebody can show me where it is actually more beneficial to have a 8.5" barrel on a .300BLK versus a 12.5" barrel, then this would become somewhat easier except for trying to get to that magical 29" OAL from the shorter side of things. Lots of 8.5" barrels available for the .300BLK, which would make for an awesomely small OAL SBR IF Maryland did not have this ridiculous 29" OAL requirement.

As far as it being cheaper to change out the stock, I'll cross that bridge when Engage wins the lawsuit. Good excuse to build more uppers. lol

My other question is how exact does what I submit to BATF on my Form 1 have to be for OAL? If I put down that the rifles will be 29.1" and then one turns out to be 29.1" and the other two turn out to be 29.5", am I headed to prison? Coming up with an OAL without actually building the rifle is ridiculous. Actually, this entire process is ridiculous since a criminal will just take a hacksaw to a barrel if he/she really wants an SBR.
    I wouldn't go 8.5" either I would prefer a 10.5" barrel over a 12.5" though. What I am saying is stock choices change with the wind, but your barrel is a more significant decision. Therefore I would build around the barrel not the stock.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Problem is, I actually like my Magpul MOE with it in the first position. I get where you are coming from now. If I wanted a standard length of pull, as if I was using my shotgun or my other full size bolt rifles, then a shorter barrel would be good.

I still do not understand how using a Vltor system, or something else like it, or increased recoil pad length helps me to get a shorter rifle while the rifle is in use. I will have to look at the Vltor 7 position system again. Is the stock in the same place in position 1 on the Vltor 7 position system as it would be on a standard carbine buffer tube, but with the Vltor system the stock can be extended further out for that additional OAL to get to 29"?

The longer the overall length of your buffer tube and stock fully extended. The shorter barrel you can use. If you use the same LOP, the longer stock/buttpad combo has more unused potential. You get a shorter in use rifle by taking that potential off the barrel length.

Maybe someone else can say it better. I also believe it's better to start with the barrel length you want.

Good luck

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The longer the overall length of your buffer tube and stock fully extended. The shorter barrel you can use. If you use the same LOP, the longer stock/buttpad combo has more unused potential. You get a shorter in use rifle by taking that potential off the barrel length.

Maybe someone else can say it better. I also believe it's better to start with the barrel length you want.

Good luck

Thanks. I need all the luck I can get on this mess. Just insane that figuring all of this out is this difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom