What kind of law does Maryland have for...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    Protecting your property? I had my truck broken into, in my driveway last night. What could I have done about it? They must have been looking for something in particular because I had my BlackBerry, Sirius radio, nice knives and tons of other stuff in my truck and nothing was missing just ran sacked.

Of course I didn’t know anything about it until I went to leave this morning around 6:30am. But what if that person or persons were still there, what could I have done? In fact in was on our community facebook page this morning that a lot of people’s cars and trucks have been gone through and 2 peoples car were stolen!

The same rules don’t apply as in if someone breaks in your home does it? I mean the person is still on my property and who knows if I or someone would have confronted the person(s) what they could have did, maybe they had a weapon maybe not, would they have used it or not?

Just trying to get a feel on what the laws are on protecting ones property. Thanks in advance!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I think you have to have a no trespassing sign up and give them a verbal warning before they can be charged with trespassing, at least that's what a trooper told me a few years ago. But since your truck was broken into, I'm not sure about that one.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Ask the police officer who was off duty and confronted a youth who had vandalized his property.

Fight ensued, kid died, he's catching a manslaughter charge.

In short....be a good witness sadly is the best bet.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    You have to sit back and take it like a man. These people have rights and you may have violated them just by asking. Only advice is to keep your vehicles locked and all the valuables in the house. If you happen to catch them drag them into your house and have at em.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    You can not protect property like you can your house. Unfotunately you would probably be charged depending on the officer or the state' s attorney for the jurisdiction if you committed an assault in the progress You can however protect your house under the castle doctrine. It sucks about your truck but that is just the way the law is written. I wish it was like Texas. See the link for the castle doctrine.

http://delegatemike.com/?p=2298

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    At night, put a plastic baggy with a crack pipe, and some rat poison, in your glove compartment / storage console. Don't drive around with it, for obvious reasons. The problem will eventually solve itself.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I think you have to have a no trespassing sign up and give them a verbal warning before they can be charged with trespassing, at least that's what a trooper told me a few years ago. But since your truck was broken into, I'm not sure about that one.

I could be wrong but the way I understand the law in Maryland, they're trespassing once they've been told to leave and refuse to do so with no sign required on private property. (Although probably still a good idea.)

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I hope this isn't close to me!
    I don't think it would even be wise to go out of the house with a firearm in hand. If you were to even point it at the POS breaking into your truck, you could be charged with assult (I think).

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Isn't it ironic that Maryland does not allow any kind of force for protection of personal property, but then at the same time they will issue you a carry permit if you carry around a lot of money?

Make up your minds idiots.

Spoke with a lawyer a couple months ago who told me about a case he had where a client was being prosecuted because he held a guy at gunpoint until the cops arrived when the guy was in his driveway smashing beer bottles into his car. Not sure if he ended up being convicted, or what the actual charges were, but the point of the story is no you can not even threaten someone with deadly force to protect property.

Last edited:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I could be wrong but the way I understand the law in Maryland, they're trespassing once they've been told to leave and refuse to do so with no sign required on private property. (Although probably still a good idea.)

That could have changed, it's been more than 10 years ago that I met this person at the back door with my gun, dude pissed his pants on my deck, and that's what the trooper told me.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    That could have changed, it's been more than 10 years ago that I met this person at the back door with my gun, dude pissed his pants on my deck, and that's what the trooper told me.

:lol2: He should have known better than to go messing around in Garrett County.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You can not protect property like you can your house. Unfotunately you would probably be charged depending on the officer or the state' s attorney for the jurisdiction if you committed an assault in the progress You can however protect your house under the castle doctrine. It sucks about your truck but that is just the way the law is written. I wish it was like Texas. See the link for the castle doctrine.

http://delegatemike.com/?p=2298

Park the car in the house. Problem solved. Lol

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

It's either or.

Properly posted on private property or told to leave and refuses.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I hope this isn't close to me!
    I don't think it would even be wise to go out of the house with a firearm in hand. If you were to even point it at the POS breaking into your truck, you could be charged with assult (I think).

This is amazing. I wonder if any LEO or other person experienced in these matters could comment about a scenario, where ...

1) you remain on your front porch with a holstered firearm
    2) verbally warn the party to not touch your vehicle and that you have called the police
    3) and are threatened with assault by the other party such that there is reason to believe your life is danger

Under these circumstances, are you allowed to unholster your firearm, or do you need to go inside and wait for law enforcement to arrive? Perhaps one can't even take a holstered firearm to the porch given how regressive MD property defense laws are.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    If he had a knife or crowbar in his hand.... lethal force applicable? You feared for your life....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom