What is the most chicken$#$% reason for a ticket?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Maryland uses stickers for registration I think. That may have something to do with it.
    FWIW I got a ticket for having a clear license plate cover [not the smoke and not the obfuscating type]. I beat it in court but I think it was just an excuse to pull me over .

Even the clear ones are illegal, God only knows why. Just a blanket ANYTHING covering/obscuring a plate I guess.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Maryland Transportation Section 13-411.1

Article - Transportation

§ 13-411.1.
    (a) In this section, "registration plate cover" means any tinted, colored, painted, marked, clear, or illuminated object that is designed to:

(1) Cover any of the characters of a vehicle's registration plate; or

(2) Distort a recorded image of any of the characters of a vehicle's registration plate recorded by a traffic control signal monitoring system under § 21-202.1 of this title.

(b) A person may not sell or offer for sale a registration plate cover.

(c) A person may not advertise for the purpose of promoting the sale of registration plate covers.

Hot damn, this state is sitting on a potential gold mine. Phuck chasing the criminals. No money in that. Just for the hell of it I drove thru my condo complex and the adjoining one today and over 80% of the cars had license plate frames. Mostly dealer, but many Ravens, some Orioles even a couple of Shock Trauma ones, colleges etc. All obscuring at least the www.maryland.gov at the bottom. To hell with speed traps. Cops can just set up and pull over thousands of tag violators every day. Then they can bust the sporting goods places selling the Ravens frames etc. And downtown they can clean up on the tinted covers and the tinted windows. The money making possibilities are endless. No need to raise taxes.
    Several years ago they had a problem with 100's of cars cruising downtown Baltimore on Sunday nites, around UMD and the Med Ctr, many from DC. My friends on the UM police force said they stopped it by issuing tint violations by the dozens every Sun nite.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Want to see what laws are out there...
    http://www.mdcourts.gov/district/forms/criminal/dccr090public.pdf

If you like the fact that a judge throws out your "BS" traffic ticket, then you probably love it when the judge is lenient on those who have their 4th DUI. OR driving while suspended for the past 20 years and still gets arrested for speeding 24 MPH over the limit.

NRA & SAF Life Member

Glad someone else said it. I've been saying that for years.

Feb 28, 2013
    You were the one who brought up the legislature and governor being the bad guys and not the police. What you don't seem to understand is that the police are the face of law enforcement. Good, bad or indifferent you are the ones who cause people pain, anguish and take them away in hand-cuffs.

Your attempt at a threadjack here notwithstanding, if people would do what hell they're SUPPOSED to, they would not get taken away in hand-cuffs.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Well, I do not have a story about a ticket issued on the road, but I do have one regarding a fine issued by the MVA.

Last year I received a letter from the MVA fining me for not having insurance for my automobile. The thing is, the automobile they were citing me for was one that I had sold and returned the plates for a year earlier. So, I photocopied my evidence and sent it back to the MVA with a letter (certified mail) explaining why I was refuting the basis for the fine. A couple weeks later I get another letter, this one a nasty-gram, threatening additional fines for not paying the original fine, plus a threat to pull my driver's licenses, unless I pay the fine forthwith. I try calling in to discuss the issue, and get told I need to sort it out in person at the MVA.

I took a day off from work to go wait in line at the Bel Air MVA, then present my case to the woman at the counter. I am told that I am responsible for insuring the vehicle if it is in my name, even if physical possession is with another party. I produced the bill of sale and the MVA receipt showing that I turned in the plates, both occurring on the same day. I am told that I must have lapsed the insurance prior to selling the vehicle and turning in the plates. I produced my old insurance cards showing that the vehicle was insured well past the date of sale and plate return. I was told that the MVA will not accept any documentation from me, but that my insurer needs to fax it over directly. A call to State Farm later, and I am told that a letter has been faxed to the number provided for the Bel Air MVA. Another wait in line gets me back up to the counter, but I am told that no letter was received from State Farm because the MVA's fax is currently broken. I offer to bring over the letter in a sealed envelope from the State Farm office, and am told to do so. However, after fetching the letter and waiting in line at the MVA again (afternoon now), the woman at the counter says that she spoke with her supervisor, and the letter will not be accepted unless it is directed faxed over from State Farm.

The matter ended, and the fine was waived, because one of the women from the State Farm office dropped off the letter (attesting to my prior vehicles period of insurance) in person. This is also why I stick with my local State Farm office even if Geico might be a bit cheaper. I was told later by the staff at the State Farm office that this kind of thing is not uncommon from the MVA, since most people give up and mail a check, and that if seriously challenged MVA just says "Opps, paperwork snafu, you can go now". The lesson to me is stick with a business (State Farm for me) that has your back, and never discard any paperwork that you may need later as evidence.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hot damn, this state is sitting on a potential gold mine. Phuck chasing the criminals. No money in that. Just for the hell of it I drove thru my condo complex and the adjoining one today and over 80% of the cars had license plate frames. Mostly dealer, but many Ravens, some Orioles even a couple of Shock Trauma ones, colleges etc. All obscuring at least the www.maryland.gov at the bottom. To hell with speed traps. Cops can just set up and pull over thousands of tag violators every day. Then they can bust the sporting goods places selling the Ravens frames etc. And downtown they can clean up on the tinted covers and the tinted windows. The money making possibilities are endless. No need to raise taxes.
    Several years ago they had a problem with 100's of cars cruising downtown Baltimore on Sunday nites, around UMD and the Med Ctr, many from DC. My friends on the UM police force said they stopped it by issuing tint violations by the dozens every Sun nite.

BINGO ... its the law, its been the law and its gonna be the law. You can't marry your sister either.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    What part of "no part of the tag shall be obscured" is unclear?

Where is that law documented?

Ever since I've been riding my license plate has been constantly "obscured" by two reflector/screws that improve my nighttime visibility and affix the plate. Every time, they were installed by dealers.

You've got me curious now and the only verbiage I could find is this:

Transportation
    §21–1112.1.
    A person may not obscure or modify any vehicle registration plate with
    intent to avoid identification.

Clearly I'm not trying to avoid identification like the guys who tuck the plate under the tail. So where is it written that "no part of the tag shall be obscured"?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nope...going to take a lot more than that for my head to explode......

I would be interested in knowing just what Connecticut law he was cited for violating because it sounds more like Mayberry RFD than Groton Connecticut... :)

I believe it was Sec. 14-240 and the fine was $72 and 2-points back then.

The construction was in front of the Crystal Mall in New London when they were widening the roadway to help with traffic and mall congestion. I think that area is considered Waterford but it was a CT State Trooper who pulled me over.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Where is that law documented?

Ever since I've been riding my license plate has been constantly "obscured" by two reflector/screws that improve my nighttime visibility and affix the plate. Every time, they were installed by dealers.

You've got me curious now and the only verbiage I could find is this:

Transportation
    §21–1112.1.
    A person may not obscure or modify any vehicle registration plate with
    intent to avoid identification.

Clearly I'm not trying to avoid identification like the guys who tuck the plate under the tail. So where is it written that "no part of the tag shall be obscured"?

It's TA 13-411C

It's been quoted here...none of the characters on the plate can be covered or obstructed.

The word "MD" has characters in it. The screw hole mounting point doesn't.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    It's TA 13-411C

It's been quoted here...none of the characters on the plate can be covered or obstructed.

The word "MD" has characters in it. The screw hole mounting point doesn't.

Weird, I read that section too, and didn't get that sense there either...

Oh well, I guess I'll just take youz guyz'z word for it. There's alot of awfully specific language being bandied about like "no part can be obscured" and "no character can be covered" that just isn't present (to my eyes) in the sections mentioned.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    The dealer put one of those tag frames advertising the dealer name on my truck when I bought it and it did partially obstruct some of the letters.
    As soon as I got home I took it off and tossed it in the trash.
    Why would I advertise for that dealer without compensation anyway ?
    Now I need to work on that damn sticker they put right on the tailgate that has some kind of super adhesive holding it on :mad54:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Weird, I read that section too, and didn't get that sense there either...

Oh well, I guess I'll just take youz guyz'z word for it. There's alot of awfully specific language being bandied about like "no part can be obscured" and "no character can be covered" that just isn't present (to my eyes) in the sections mentioned.

13.411.1 then....C is the charge the police use .

(a) In this section, “registration plate cover” means any tinted, colored, painted, marked, clear, or illuminated object that is designed to:
    (1) Cover any of the characters of a vehicle’s registration plate; or
    (2) Distort a recorded image of any of the characters of a vehicle’s registration plate recorded by a traffic control signal monitoring system under § 21-202.1 of this article.

13-411 is the charge 13.411.1 defines what a "cover" is.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well, I do not have a story about a ticket issued on the road, but I do have one regarding a fine issued by the MVA.

Last year I received a letter from the MVA fining me for not having insurance for my automobile...

I got a FR-19 for my 20' car trailer and a 4x8' utility trailer - They wanted proof of insurance on effing trailers so I had to take time off of work and go to the MVA to have them straighten it all out. They were threatening to suspend the registrations on all of my vehicles because of their screw up.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    13.411.1 then....C is the charge the police use .

(a) In this section, “registration plate cover” means any tinted, colored, painted, marked, clear, or illuminated object that is designed to:
    (1) Cover any of the characters of a vehicle’s registration plate; or
    (2) Distort a recorded image of any of the characters of a vehicle’s registration plate recorded by a traffic control signal monitoring system under § 21-202.1 of this article.

13-411 is the charge 13.411.1 defines what a "cover" is.

I stand corrected.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    well if the curb isnt straight, thats a different story!

That's why I thought it was a chicken#### reason for a $105 ticket.

There are lots of other reasons to get a parking ticket in NYC: alternate side parking rules, road construction that is announced while you are at work but doesn't actually happen, can't park when it snows the number of reasons is seemingly infinite.

Got a ticket for factory tint once. The car was apparently legal to sell in the state, but not legal to drive....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom