What if 77R is faxed in, and Not Disapproved but buyer vanishes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    First off...in a case where no money has ever been exchanged, whether it be a deposit, partial payment, or full payment...just a FTF verbal agreement.

Curious as to what happens, if anything, if you are a seller in a private secondary sale, and have a "buyer" for a firearm, who completes all the necessary paperwork, is faxed in by Trooper @ MSP barracks, gets "Not Disapproved", but...never completes the actual transaction and transfer?

I know for sure, that if the 77R is not sent back to MSP signed and dated by both parties, as a completed transfer, the transfer process isn't "complete" and firearm stays registered to original owner (been there, done that, when MSP lost a 77R), but...

Is there something that the seller would need to do, aside from just selling/trading the firearm to someone else?

Has anyone had this happen? Just curious what you (as a seller) did, or if you just didn't even worry about it, and moved on to the next buyer/trader?

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    i'd check with the FFL you were doing the transfer with and probably MSP. i'd imagine there's either a form or letter that can be sent in to 'cancel' the transfer.

probably important to specify that the firearm hasn't changed hands.

at least that's my rough guess.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    i'd check with the FFL you were doing the transfer with and probably MSP. i'd imagine there's either a form or letter that can be sent in to 'cancel' the transfer.

probably important to specify that the firearm hasn't changed hands.

at least that's my rough guess.

Yeah, it's a unique situation. There is/was no FFL involvement though.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    I guess you'll have to give MSP a call. i'd imagine there's something that 'cancels' the transaction for their records. wonder what the dealers do when a customer no shows after a long while.

been a while since i bought something. i think there's something on the 77r that the buyer has to sign when completing the sale. after it's been approved. isn't the approval only good for a certain amount of time and if not completed it just 'dies on the vine'

again i'm guessing. either MSP or one of our friendly FFLs should chime in with a concrete answer.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Its not a transfer until the parties sign the paperwork a second time, after the 7 days. That's my understanding, at least.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Mine as well, but hoping someone else, private or FFL has experience, rather than depend on whatever the answer of the day might be if I call MSP Licensing Division.

If possible, I'd email or write them, so you have a record of the answer in the event you get bad information.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    In my experience in dealing with three letter agencies (and a do it on a daily basis) its about showing due diligence. Once I have 3 non-response situations, I escalate the issue. In your case since you are dealing with a firearm, I would suggest sending your follow-up email/letter to the individual, stating the is "x" number of attempts, and that you are contacting the MSP with your intent to cancel. Then follow through contacting MSP. This shows a)you have made sufficient attempts b) You are following what you believe to be legal recourse c)covering your ass should any federal agency get involved.

Im not an FFL, or shop owner. Just a guy with years of experience dealing with agencies.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    First off...in a case where no money has ever been exchanged, whether it be a deposit, partial payment, or full payment...just a FTF verbal agreement.

Curious as to what happens, if anything, if you are a seller in a private secondary sale, and have a "buyer" for a firearm, who completes all the necessary paperwork, is faxed in by Trooper @ MSP barracks, gets "Not Disapproved", but...never completes the actual transaction and transfer?

I know for sure, that if the 77R is not sent back to MSP signed and dated by both parties, as a completed transfer, the transfer process isn't "complete" and firearm stays registered to original owner (been there, done that, when MSP lost a 77R), but...

Is there something that the seller would need to do, aside from just selling/trading the firearm to someone else?

Has anyone had this happen? Just curious what you (as a seller) did, or if you just didn't even worry about it, and moved on to the next buyer/trader?

Ask a FFL but I am pretty sure if it's not signed and returned within 30 business days it becomes null and new paperwork must be started to complete the transfer.

I loved dealing with Lou but this is why I don't visit him more often is the distance and his show hours are the exact opposite of my life so I was like 1 day before having to repay the 10 dollar fee and refilling out the paperwork.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If it were me... And the buyer "disappeared"... I would write on the face of the form, in big red letters... "SALE/TRANSFER CANCELLED"... I would date and sign under that and send in the forms to MDSP Licensing Unit. Include a concise letter telling the MDSP why and let them deal with it. The transfer is not registered until the forms are returned signed by both parties anyway. Due diligence would be satisfied and records would be straight.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    What until 3 days after snow removal options are done because the buyer is going to show up in a car running in the middle of court, and will be pissed that no one woke him up and that his pistol is gone.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom