What does it cost to have a slide re-blued?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I got my P64 from classic today. And I am NOT a happy camper.

It looks like someone put a piece of tape over the "9mm P64" and spray painted part of the slide. I can scrape it off with my finger nail!
    :sad20:

I emailed Classic and goty the following response:

Hi Bob - The P64's sometimes have a baked on enamel finish rather than a blued finish and it appears that this is what you received. As that finish ages it does become somewhat easier to come off and I will not disagree that this one is probably on the lower end of our condition scale.

The problem with surplus is that if you get in 2000 pieces 1 guy will get the best one, and 1 gun will get the worst one, and everyone else will get one somewhere in between. As I said before your cosmetically is worse than most I have seen in the warehouse. Still I think it falls within the confides of how we described it.

The surplus grading scale for condition goes like this

Poor - 0 to 20 % finish
    Fair - 20 to 40 % finish
    Good - 40 to 60 % finish
    Very Good - 60 to 80 % finish
    Excellent - 90 % plus
    New - obviously, New.

Based on the scale, I think we represented it properly. However as I said before, I do understand your disappointment and we like for our customers to be happy.

What can we do to make it more palatable?

Regards

Ben.

At least they seem willing to rectify the situation.

I would be okay with having the slide re-blued and them reimbursing me for it. (And have responded as such.)

What does it run to have that done, and can any decent gunsmith do it?

Attachments

• DSCN8057.JPG
      DSCN8057.JPG
      86.5 KB · Views: 570

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Formby's furniture stripper will remove that paint without harming the bluing.

If it's truly baked on, it may take some time for the remover to work properly.

But if it's flaking, it should come off easier.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Their response.
    :(

I understand Bob, and I did see the condition. I agree that this is not pretty and certainly not ideal, but certainly not unusual with surplus. Most folks are just happy to be able to find a C & R surplus pistol as this stuff is really drying up.

I don't know what bluing would cost there. Typically the bluing is not expensive in itself, but the prep is. They have to blast all of the old finish off down to bare metal and then re-blue.

If it were mine I would get some high heat barbecue grill spray paint at the Lowes and then bake it on in the oven for an hour or so at a low heat setting. This can be done at home for $5.00 and they typically turn out pretty good.

Regards

Ben.

I'm retentively new to the C&R thing.

Am I wrong for thing this is BS?

I'm probably going to get it re-blued, even if it's at my own expense.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Call Bob at Bollinger's Gun Shop 410 756-5454 He is a very good all around gun smith, and is Certified in Cerekote and Hydro Dipping. I am not sure if he does blueing as I have never talked to him about it, but on something like your pistol, he has Cerekoted a bunch of them. He is a IP on here, and check out his Gallery of Cerekoted weapons he has done for members on here.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    How 'bout an exchange or credit off next purchase? Those're sorta the obvious options.
    Were it mine, I'd strip the slide and repaint it with VHT (Very High Temperature spray paint - follow can instructions), which is available from most auto parts stores.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Sometimes you get something that exceeds your expectations (and the sellers description), and sometimes you get the worst of the batch. You got the latter, and sometimes that's life for the sight-unseen buyer. I think it was very good of them to offer to rectify the situation. I seriously doubt they will pay for a reblue, but maybe you could be refunded shipping or have a discount on a future purchase.

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County
    This would be an excellent candidate for a duracoat project. Their kits contains everything you need, and it could save you some cash.

Jul 1, 2012
    I would concur that you'll want the whole gun refinished, just doing the slide won't look "right"... as to how, who, and how much - I defer to the experts ...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Safetech - IMO, your best and most $$ efficient approach, cerakote it. (Assuming you don't send it back.)

Not a whole lot of gunsmith's keep a full hot tank bluing setup, in-house.

Metal prep is going to be key on bluing, speak from some experience here. Any little flaw is going to show thru, and it will be like a splinter in your mind - other people may not notice it, but you'll know its there.

A good hot tank job is going to cost you, but it'll look great.

If your willing to spend some time on it yourself, you can do it yourself at home. But it can be time-consuming, and there's a little learning curve on how to get the color nice and even throughout. Plus side is, it's cheaper, and you can say you did it yourself.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If that receiver is steel, that little thing would be a prime candidate for a nice Zinc Parkerizing job.

Do it right on your stove top.

Contact Midway USA for all the goodies.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    How 'bout an exchange or credit off next purchase? Those're sorta the obvious options.
    Were it mine, I'd strip the slide and repaint it with VHT (Very High Temperature spray paint - follow can instructions), which is available from most auto parts stores.

This is no joke. May sound Bubba to some people, but I used satin black on my CZ82 and it looks great, and is tough stuff!

VHT High Temperature Engine Enamel-and the satin black would look nice on that P64 slide.

It could be half the cost of the gun to have it reblued professionally, not sure if Classic will be willing to cover that..

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Time to learn to rust blue. Check out the bubba thread or I can post pics when I get home. I got a beater of a sistema and refinished it rust bluing.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm retentively new to the C&R thing.

Am I wrong for thing this is BS?

I'm probably going to get it re-blued, even if it's at my own expense.

It's not you. That pistol would be completely unacceptable to me. I wouldn't expect it to sell for more than $150-$175.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    It came with no finish and a fair amount of rust.
    20130611_090557_zpsb82c15ed.jpg

So I tore it apart, stripped it and cleaned up the rust and replace the fire controls and grips.
    20130622_001103_zpsc378448b.jpg

And now I'm just trying to decide if I want to rust blue it as I have seen some amazing rust blue jobs or park it but I don't have the ability to park it at home.
    20130720_195152_zpscdc381fc.jpg

I'm at 5 rust sessions... Not sure how many more I want to do, I really like the dark almost black look but if I want to keep going need to hit the store almost out of distilled water.

Here's what we have so far...
    20140409_163938_zps37c2a9b3.jpg

20140409_162616_zps36604f6e.jpg

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=147802&page=6

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads