What do I need to think about while getting ready to carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

It will be close and fast. You might be getting stomped or repeatedly punched. Simplicity. Forget sights. Point and shoot. Reliability is key. Fancy glow in the dark sights, neon sights, adjustable sights are meaningless. Point and shoot. Practice close. Two feet, five feet. Wrestling with attackers with an automatic you might get one shot off. Revolver, five shot, 38+P, guaranteed five shots. Probably.

This guy is the only one here that gets it right. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The first time I used a gun it was like 3 feet. the second time it was like 10 feet. the third time was maybe 6 or 7 feet. Last two times no shots needed to fired. they didn't want any holes in them and ran at the first sight of the gun. Criminals don't like armed victims, makes them change their minds real fast.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011

The first time I used a gun it was like 3 feet. the second time it was like 10 feet. the third time was maybe 6 or 7 feet. Last two times no shots needed to fired. they didn't want any holes in them and ran at the first sight of the gun. Criminals don't like armed victims, makes them change their minds real fast.

So you have 3 separate incidents of self defense shooting and 2 additional incidents where you drew your weapon but the subjects ran?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This guy is the only one here that gets it right.

How have you not avoided 3 self defense shootings?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

Wow!
    I'm glad we didn't hang out or run in the same crowds. No offense.

cb51

So you have 3 separate incidents of self defense shooting and 2 additional incidents where you drew your weapon but the subjects ran?

I guess reading comprehension has gone down so I'll explain.

January 1969, alley off P street, two shots fired. April 1988, no shots needed subjects ran. Sunday morning Memorial Day 2018, no shots fired, subject ran off when gun was pointed.

I'll draw pictures if you need them.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011

January 1969, alley off P street, two shots fired. April 1988, no shots needed subjects ran. Sunday morning Memorial Day 2018, no shots fired, subject ran off when gun was pointed.

No, more like you wrote your first post to insinuate that you had been involved in 3 shootings and got called out on it.

Your original post...

"The first time I used a gun it was like 3 feet. the second time it was like 10 feet. the third time was maybe 6 or 7 feet. Last two times no shots needed to fired. they didn't want any holes in them and ran at the first sight of the gun. Criminals don't like armed victims, makes them change their minds real fast."

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I escaped from Maryland in 2015 to Texas, and have been carrying everyday since since I got my permit. They passed open carry here in January of 2016, but tis extremely rare to see anyone open carrying. Just not done a lot in Georgetown Texas. But people do carry conceal.

When it gets hot here, uniform of the day is T-shirts, shorts, flip-flops. Thats frm about April to mid October. People are not carrying 98% of what the gun shop gurus are recommending. If it won't carry easy and comfy in a pocket, its too big for CCW in a hot climate. And I've been to Georga in the summer, and it was hot!

I visit El Paso frequently and can give plenty of anecdotal incidents of just the opposite. Lots of permit holders in my wife's extended family and none of them carry less than a 9mm.

And El Paso is quite a bit different from Georgetown, the working class folks there, especially if working outside, wear long pants and long sleeve shirts in the summer.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

You said you used a gun 3 times. Its not a reading problem, its a writing problem.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Nope. If you draw a gun, you use it. There's no pause. There's no "talking someone down".
    You've determined there's lethal force you have to match. Your life is in danger, right?

personally - yes.

but if you pull a gun and the assailant runs off, you used your gun to prevent bodily harm.

Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    And yes, I am bragging a little...

I really like the Sig P365. Invest in a good IWB holster, and OWB. Love my Gcode Phenom Steal IWB holster.

I would only CCW. I really dont want the hassle, the raised profile, target #1 with open carry.

Things to think about when CCW. You are going to have to practice a few days in the house before going out into the wild. Wear it all day, and learn how it moves, how your clothes fit, how they DONT fit, test out various shirts, pants, jackets ..etc. You will have to be extremely conscious of your movements and clothing when on the outside. For example, at the grocery store, you would reach up for that large 20 pack of toilet paper and never think twice. With CCW, you cant do that now. You will have to make sure you think about accidentally presenting your uncovered firearm when you shirt or jacket rises up when you reach up. Its those things that you will have to start thinking about. Getting in and out of cars ....making sure your gun is covered. Bending over, reaching for things ...all these normal activities are now have to be come planned events. I suggest wearing the firearm at various positions on your body, both IWB and OWB to get a feel of what fits best. Then, stick with that and practice everyday with it in the same position. The worst thing you can do is practice one way, switch it up and then go to reach for that gun but muscle memory has your hand reaching for a gun that is not there.

On the flips side, you need to make sure that you can perform some athletic abilities while CCW. I know a lot of people that EDC with so much crap on their bodies that they could barely get in an out of a car. My coworker brags about his small IFAK, G19, spare mag, small etc light, car keys, wallet, folding knife ... So I asked him, what if he got into an altercation or had to run ? He would leave a trail of gear a mile long with all that crap. You dont want to carry so much crap that it would actually hinder you during a scrap or altercation.

apdbobby

Jun 12, 2013
    Easton
    Great advice, especially since many compact CCW pistols don't always give you the best grip for your hand size and sights are more for pointing.

Very true as well. I carry a Keltec P32 because I can have it with me all the time. I can even carry it in a kydex holster on mesh pants doing yardwork around the house. It's tiny and light but does hold 10+1 and is never in the way.

So your post is great because the pic! But what is funny for us in MD is we can not buy the keltec 32 it’s considered a Saturday night special! So to the creator of this post it’s like a double win, getting a chance to buy this gun and carrying by moving LoL

I know some people will say that little keltec is not enough but I say what ever you carry is enough! Because it’s better that your knuckles LoL

apdbobby

Jun 12, 2013
    Easton
    CCW is a big responsibility. Be very aware that you only pull your firearm when “your”life is in danger. And I would recommend two things! First more training! Never enough. Second maybe carry insurance just in case! But it only works if it’s a good shoot. Carrying a firearm can open you up to civil and legal liabilities.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    CCW is a big responsibility. Be very aware that you only pull your firearm when “your”life is in danger. And I would recommend two things! First more training! Never enough. Second maybe carry insurance just in case! But it only works if it’s a good shoot. Carrying a firearm can open you up to civil and legal liabilities.

Yeah, I'm sorry. If I am in Starbucks and a bad guy pulls a gun to someone's head, I will take the shot.
    The State's Attorney won't have a problem with that.
    That being said, don't go getting involved in some sort of altercation that eventually would end up with you having to use deadly force. That's a no no.

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    Worst recommendation ever. I'm guessing you're being sarcastic.

The world record bear kill for the longest time was held by a young Inuit woman who discovered a polar bear stalking/trailing her as she walked home along the edge of a frozen lake, at night, in the shadow of the forest to conceal herself from predators. She ducked into the woods when she rounded a bend and lay in wait for the bear following her. One-shot with a 22lr to the temple downed the bear which she then followed up with several 22 rounds to the same weak spot of the bear's skull when it was down.

I would choose the weapon that best suits your nature, regardless of the caliber. Or what anyone says here.

Choose a gun that suits YOU and what you anticipate. I don't reckon I'm going to get involved in a long-range shoot-out as a normal, regular Joe walking around town so I have a 380. 13+1 that suits me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom