• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    I was recently given a black powder revolver, from the looks of it, it's a Walker repro, from Navy Arms. .44 cal.

What sort of stuff do I need to shoot, clean, and care for this gun? It's in very good shape, I'm sure it was fired plenty, but meticulously cared for.

Are there any BP 'kits' or packages that'll get me started? Thanks!

-Mark

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was recently given a black powder revolver, from the looks of it, it's a Walker repro, from Navy Arms. .44 cal.

What sort of stuff do I need to shoot, clean, and care for this gun? It's in very good shape, I'm sure it was fired plenty, but meticulously cared for.

Are there any BP 'kits' or packages that'll get me started? Thanks!

-Mark
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...rter+kit&x=0&y=0&Ntt=black+powder+starter+kit
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...=0&y=0&Ntt=black+powder+revolver+cleaning+kit
    this is a good start...
    need some bore cleaner and bore butter...and white patches...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    ...and also fff black powder (or equivalent), a powder measure, powder flask, percussion caps and Wonder wads or some goop to cover the open ends of the loaded chambers.

A loading stand and capper also really helps.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    K31 gave solid advice. Check the links that Guy sent you. I've heard a water-Ballistol mix is a good cleaning solution. I've used hot soapy water too. Just make sure you dry your piece off real good.

A pistol nipple wrench won't hurt either. When I buy a new gun, the first thing I do after reading the manual or finding take-down instructions is to throughly clean and inspect the firearm before taking it out for the first time. It sounds like you have already done this, but it never hurts repeating.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A pistol nipple wrench won't hurt either.

Good catch. Yes, you need a nipple wrench to do a through cleaning job. You should also grease your nipples. Then remove the nipples from the revolver and grease the threads before you re-install them being careful not to use too much or get grease in the hole. Grease them each time before re-installing them.

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice, time to make a few orders and do some reading!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Good catch. Yes, you need a nipple wrench to do a through cleaning job. You should also grease your nipples. Then remove the nipples from the revolver and grease the threads before you re-install them being careful not to use too much or get grease in the hole. Grease them each time before re-installing them.

I am glad we are talking about Black Powder guns cause anywhere else that just sounds weird.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I am glad we are talking about Black Powder guns cause anywhere else that just sounds weird.
    Wait till you get to the bit about wedging greasy wads under your balls before ramming them in.:lol2:

Mark C where are you located, one of us could meet up with you for some shooting and provide some guidance.
    If you're near Hagerstown I can do that I have a .44 C&B so if you missed anything on your shopping list you'd be covered.
    Let me know.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Wait till you get to the bit about wedging greasy wads under your balls before ramming them in.:lol2:

You don't need to do that if you slather goop on top of your balls. But yes, I prefer felt wads under my balls.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I was once talked into rolling my balls in grease before ramming. It supposedly made ramming easier & sealed better as well. I obligingly dolloped some Crisco in a baggie & rolled my balls liberally in it.
    What did I learn?
    Greasy balls are so slippery that you can hardly pick them up.:shocked3:

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    I should have picked up black powder awhile ago just for the jokes/innuendos.

And I'm in Delta PA.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Oh hell, yes. That's 1/2 the fun.
    I'm about 110 miles away (Hagerstown) so if you're ever down this way give me a call & we can go pop some caps. I have membership at a private range & am a RSO (Range Nazi) so we can play uninterrupted in relative peace & quiet.

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    So, are you going to load some blanks in it for a noisemaker New Years?

Also, instead of a flask, I've found this cheapo plastic funnel thing that snaps onto the lid of the powder can so you don't really need a flask (still use a powder measure). Can't remember who made it, but I found it at Anglers when I first got into it.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    Markc
    I'm in delta as well and I own three BP revolvers. I make paper cartridges for mine to help control charges. I have also shot them the more traditional way with loose powder. I only use FFF black powder it works a whole lot better than the substitutes. If your interested we could get together at Delta FGA sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom