What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Reloaded around 400 9mm with my loadmaster along the week. After I ran out of primed cases, I then primed another 600 cases with the lee ACP press. After about 1k primer seatings with the lee ACP, the torsion spring that provides ample tension to the primer trough feeding arm decided to work its way out from the hot glue it was embedded on (typical lee to just mickey mouse things on...) resulting in misfeeds and sideways primers along the primer ram. Luckily, this was caught before I starting ramming primers down, therefore, no primers were lost or damaged during this ordeal.

I fashioned a tension spring that does the same thing out of a pen spring, but this time it's fastened on one of the mounting screws adjacent to the primer trough feeding arm. After it was fixed, I ran it through 100 primer seatings and it seems to be holding up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Loaded a ladder of 7.62x39. Something I noticed, maybe it’s the bullets (PPU FMJ 123gr that have no crimp ring), but I have to put a fairly heavy crimp on them to keep my SKS from knocking the bullets loose on feeding. The Lee FCD gets it done, but I don’t feel like I need as heavy a crimp with other calibers (.223, 6.5G, .308) in ARs and my M1 carbine (I’ll find out soon about my Garand and .30-06).

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Sounds like neck tension is too loose. What is the bullet diameter of the PPU FMJ 123gn bullets and what did you wind up sizing/expanding the necks to? I remember sizing 7.62x39 to a 308 expander ball (loading 308" diameter bullets for my RAR) and some to 310 expander to compare the difference and went with the 308 expander to get ample neck tension for both casts and FMJs as I also load x39 for my semi-autos. The 310 expander obviously made the 308 diameter bullets fit loosely along the necks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sounds like neck tension is too loose. What is the bullet diameter of the PPU FMJ 123gn bullets and what did you wind up sizing/expanding the necks to? I remember sizing 7.62x39 to a 308 expander ball (loading 308" diameter bullets for my RAR) and some to 310 expander to compare the difference and went with the 308 expander to get ample neck tension for both casts and FMJs as I also load x39 for my semi-autos. The 310 expander obviously made the 308 diameter bullets fit loosely along the necks.
    .311 bullets, .310 expander. I’d have to double check for sure that is the expander size, but the bullets are for sure .311 as I measured them.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Can someone suggest a reliable stand-alone primer tool? Just using the Lee progressive loader one in testing with used primers I can tell this is not going to be very reliable. It's this flimsily plastic thing. I think pre-priming my cases will result in a much better experience in reloading.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Can someone suggest a reliable stand-alone primer tool? Just using the Lee progressive loader one in testing with used primers I can tell this is not going to be very reliable. It's this flimsily plastic thing. I think pre-priming my cases will result in a much better experience in reloading.
    My buddy loves the bench mounted rcbs primer tool. I prefer the handheld rcbs with the spring loaded jaws (no shell holder swaps). But he is feeding multiple machine guns so he primes a few thousand at a time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Frankford arsenal hand primer works really well. I mostly just prime on my Lee classic turret as the system works okay. But I also have the FA hand primer.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv

My rcbs hand primer works great. Think it's about 10yrs old now...I wore out one of the plastic inserts for small rifle and they sent me a new one for free.

Last edited:

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    My rcbs hand primer works great. Think it's about 10yrs old now...
    +1 on the RCBS hand primer. I have no clue how old mine is, it came with my used JR3 I got at a gun show in the 1990s for $25 or 30 I forget which. Mine does not have the universal shell holder, I have to swap shell holders with my JR3 which is kinda a PITA. I should probably just by 2nd shell holders for 45 Colt and Auto Rim. My only gripe is the lever near the bottom that pushes up the ram, falls out of the "socket" and can be a pain to get relocated.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/hand-held/universal-hand-priming-tool/16-90201.html

Safety tip, they say to wear hearing and eye protection while priming. I've never had a primer go off but keep the case pointed in a safe direction (like not at the tv, or look in the case) while priming. I've fired primers in open cases before just to make sure they still work (they are from the early 2000's) and they don't seem that loud to me.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    2000 rounds of .45 Colt last week.
    That’s a lot! Do you do CAS?

In my own efforts, I loaded 50 rounds of 45 ACP as my first ever loaded with Titegroup:

200 gr plated round nose - Xtreme
    5.0 gr Titegroup

To date all of my 45 reloading has been with Bullseye, W231/HP38 or Power Pistol - PP specifically for 185 gr Hornady XTP. Most has been with Bullseye.

Next I’ll have to see if I like it.

Last edited:

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    That’s a lot! Do you do CAS?

In my own efforts, I loaded 50 rounds of 45 ACP as my first ever loaded with Titegroup:

200 gr plated round nose - Xtreme
    5.0 gr Titegroup

To date all of my 45 reloading has been with Bullseye, W231/HP38 or Power Pistol - PP specifically for 185 gr Hornady XTP. Most has been with Bullseye.

Next I’ll have to see if I like it.

Yes I shoot SASS. My load is 6.0gr Trail Boss under a 200gr RNFP. I load when I get to about 500-1000 rounds loaded on the shelf. Next I need to find some Titewad at a decent price and load 1000 or so 12ga.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    New roller handle on my Lee Classic turret press (thanks Inline!) not pictured. And I covered my harbor freight work bench with a rubber cover. I think I'll likely it. No more crap falling down through the holes and using a padded gun mat to try to sort of cover them a bit. It should make it easier to sweep off the tabletop, plus no junk falling down behind (between the rubber mat and I cut a piece of 2x1 oak to length as a backer. Which also means I can store stuff on the ground UNDER the table now and not have to move it all out if a primer rolls off the back of my bench or something like that.

The before with the sporterized 1903 on the table and after...well pretty obvious.

Attachments

• 19032.jpg
      19032.jpg
      265.7 KB · Views: 63
    • image0.jpeg
      image0.jpeg
      297.8 KB · Views: 60

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Loaded up and gauged ~275 .45 Auto cartridges in prep for a revolver class and upcoming match. Ran out of Unique and decided to call it a night. I'll probably do the next batch with 4.5-5.0gr of Bullseye (since I'm trying to get rid of that powder next). Bullet feeder was giving me some hassle due to the lack of a return spring; that'll be in the next order from DAA whenever they run another sale.

However, my next project will be 9mm with Fed SPPs (for revolver usage), followed by working up some light 147gr loads for my 357 Mag using Titegroup. Not really a lot of good load data for the latter; initial target will probably be ~3.3gr TG. I am trying to standardize on Titegroup for pistol loads in the long term since stocking a bunch of different kinds of powder is a bit fraught in this state.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Loaded up and gauged ~275 .45 Auto cartridges in prep for a revolver class and upcoming match. Ran out of Unique and decided to call it a night. I'll probably do the next batch with 4.5-5.0gr of Bullseye (since I'm trying to get rid of that powder next). Bullet feeder was giving me some hassle due to the lack of a return spring; that'll be in the next order from DAA whenever they run another sale.

However, my next project will be 9mm with Fed SPPs (for revolver usage), followed by working up some light 147gr loads for my 357 Mag using Titegroup. Not really a lot of good load data for the latter; initial target will probably be ~3.3gr TG. I am trying to standardize on Titegroup for pistol loads in the long term since stocking a bunch of different kinds of powder is a bit fraught in this state.
    Wow, yeah that is light. I just loaded a bunch of 240gr pills on top of 9.5gr of TG for my 44 mag…

I am sure it will…but make sure those clear the barrel.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    New roller handle on my Lee Classic turret press (thanks Inline!) not pictured. And I covered my harbor freight work bench with a rubber cover. I think I'll likely it. No more crap falling down through the holes and using a padded gun mat to try to sort of cover them a bit. It should make it easier to sweep off the tabletop, plus no junk falling down behind (between the rubber mat and I cut a piece of 2x1 oak to length as a backer. Which also means I can store stuff on the ground UNDER the table now and not have to move it all out if a primer rolls off the back of my bench or something like that.

The before with the sporterized 1903 on the table and after...well pretty obvious.
    I've been thinking about adding another bench to my reloading area to set it up for single-stage loading. Right now I have my single stage press mounted to a piece of wood that I clamp to my main general purpose workbench, but I'd like to set up another area for the things that I do frequently enough that having additional space would be a good thing. I like the idea of getting a workbench kit because it solves the problem of having to think about having to buy it, and all of the pieces are pre-cut. I can build my own workbench, but sometimes for me it's better to take a bit of an easier path.

I like that bench the drawers are a nice touch, and it looks like it's pretty solid.

Are you looking to move away from Unique and Bullseye altogether? I've used a fair bit of Bullseye - it just seems to get the job done, and it does it pretty well, especially for 45 Auto - I'm pretty sure the original 45 auto cartridge was designed using Bullseye as the propellant. Then again, neither Bullseye nor Unique (especially Unique) are exactly the cleanest powders.

For my own reloading endeavors, I put together two loads for 41 Magnum. one of the loads I made using AA #9, and this is one where I should have cross referenced manuals. I wanted a stout load, but not a max load. I consulted my Hornady manual because the bullet I'm loading is the Hornady 210 gr XTP HP. Then I checked my other manuals.

Hornady lists 19.2 gr as max for 41 Mag with AA9, so I backed off to 18.0 gr - well under max, and a nice even number.

Lee lists 18.0 gr as max, and Lyman lists 17.7 gr. :eek:

I don't understand how two manuals can have a 2.5 gr variance on max load. I'm pretty sure these are fine, but they are probably going to be pretty danged hot. Fortunantely the pistol I'm using is a Ruger Blackhawk - it's a strong platform for that round, so I'll shoot those, and then I'll load down from there.

The other load I chose was 9.5 gr of Herco. I've had this old canister of Herco from the mid 90s for a while. I bought it new around 2008, but clearly it had been sitting on the shelf for a while - this one is still the Hercules foil covered cardboard canister. This one should be a solid load without being too heavy.

icarusX

Jan 14, 2008
    Just for comparison. I only use Titegroup for 9, 40 and 45 acp. For the 45
    200 gr plated RN
    4.3 titegroup
    1.2 OAL
    The function great in my 1911 and SBR

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Just for comparison. I only use Titegroup for 9, 40 and 45 acp. For the 45
    200 gr plated RN
    4.3 titegroup
    1.2 OAL
    The function great in my 1911 and SBR
    I've read that a lot of people get burned brass using Tightgroup. Do you experience that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom