What Bolt Gun to take to a Machine gun Shoot? I think I found one...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Well I recently got a Tank-Gewehr. Thats the original Anti-Tank gun to kill the first generation of Tanks. Its an up-scaled Mauser that needs a pistol grip as you can't get a grip on the stock. 13mm is just over 50 Caliber and the cartridge is about the size of 50 BMG. It was a big hit at the MDTCA MG shoot last time. Here it is next to my MGs for size reference.

FYI... I have not gotten to shoot it yet but will be shortly I hope!

IMG_20190714_164045073_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190729_182653357.jpg

IMG_20190729_182826591.jpg

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    FYI... I have not gotten to shoot it yet but will be shortly I hope!

Well, in case you do, please keep in mind that the poor guys having to fire that thing were advised to firmly lock the bipod legs, often padded their uniforms and complained about headaches after 4-6 repeated firings.

If you want to reload for this beauty, you can either use the original cases (there are some people making reproduction runs) or there is information around on how to modify .50 BMG. Either way plan for a lot of machining time or a lot of expenses.

As far as load data is concerned, the original load was about 200.6gr of a flake powder giving you a velocity for 2500 to 2575 fps with an 803gr Bullet.
    There have been favorable reports replicating the original load with specific .50 BMG powders and primers as well as lathe-turned brass or resized .50 bullets.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Well, in case you do, please keep in mind that the poor guys having to fire that thing were advised to firmly lock the bipod legs, often padded their uniforms and complained about headaches after 4-6 repeated firings.

If you want to reload for this beauty, you can either use the original cases (there are some people making reproduction runs) or there is information around on how to modify .50 BMG. Either way plan for a lot of machining time or a lot of expenses.

As far as load data is concerned, the original load was about 200.6gr of a flake powder giving you a velocity for 2500 to 2575 fps with an 803gr Bullet.
    There have been favorable reports replicating the original load with specific .50 BMG powders and primers as well as lathe-turned brass or resized .50 bullets.

Yeah its a real mans gun. I am not to worried about it.

As far as reloading, I have brass priced and its not to bad. I have bullets priced too. Solid turned copper. Again not to bad. I am not going to screw around with 50 caliber stuff. I am just going to get it made right. I have a few people on board with me, so that should help cut the costs a bit. I still have some more to do there.... but it will happen.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    I still have some more to do there.... but it will happen.

If you need load data, let me know. Buddy of mine has used the PZB and Tankgewehr ammo for some (non-neftarious) purposes and I am pretty sure I can get a good approximation for conteporary loads out of him. Must have left that rubber hose somewhere here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom