• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    I have a Lee Load Master that I have used to load over 7000 rounds of 38 Special for Cowboy Action Shooting over the last 3 years.

I did a lot of reading and research and really toiled over what to buy.
    I decided on the Load Master because it seemed like the best value.
    5-stations, case feeder, carbide dies for <$250.

I have no complaints about it except for one - the manuals are lousy, so I really had some trouble getting started.
    Granted, I was just beginning to reload when I purchased it - my experience was limited to a single stage press...
    However, that problem was more than solved by this site:
    http://loadmastervideos.com/
    If you follow the setup and usage advice from the above site, keep it lubricated, and pay attention to what you are doing - it will serve you well.

I have had a handful of issues over the years - but most were operator error. I've found that if you follow the suggestion of using a universal decapping die at station 1, remove the decapping pin from the sizing die and put it at station 2 (priming station) and don't let the primer feeder run too low - it primes very reliably with Winchester, Remington, and CCI primers (I haven't used any others)

I too have an articulated light (as someone else mentioned) and I look into the case to confirm powder before I place the bullet. I have had a small number of times that I didn't get a powder charge - usually because I short-stroked the press (once because a stink bug was blocking the powder drop)

I'm certain that the other presses are are of high quality and may be more reliable, more durable, perhaps faster, and I've never heard anyone complain about their Dillon...
    That being said - I've been perfectly happy with the choice I made and I can't imagine that the other presses run absolutely flawlessly all of the time. I've found that the LoadMaster suits my needs just fine.

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    As I prefaced my initial remarks, I'm an experienced reloader and I still got an unacceptable number of squibs doing it "the way it is supposed to be run".
    Also, if you are able to find "the primers it likes" these days, you are better off than most of us who are taking what we can find.
    The two step method above works pretty well with no squibs.
    Squibs are inconvenient if you are paying attention and carrying a squib rod, and downright dangerous if you are not.
    DocAitch

I have yet to have a squib with my lee pro 1000. If you are getting a lot of squibs there is something wrong with the set up of you charging station.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    The only issue I have had with my Lee's is that the directions are vague at best, and lead many new users to problems. Primers feed very well, cases feed well, powder drops accurately, and in many years and tens of thousands of pistol rounds loaded, I've had exactly one squib load.

Lee's lower price point tends to attract those new to reloading, who are unfamiliar with the entire process. As their set up is flawed by the lack of instructions, and they are inexperienced in what they are doing, they have problems and declare the Lee as "junk".

Dillon's, at a much higher price, are generally purchased by more experienced reloaders, who know how to set up progressives, and how to deal with their occassional hiccups (as all progressives will have once in a while).

I have many pieces of Lee equipment, along with a Pro 1000 and a Loadmaster. Both work flawlessly, and if you know what you're doing when running it, and if it's set up and maintained correctly, it's unstoppable.

MH

Last edited:

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Squibs

The way I see it ( and practice it) you need to: a) visualy confirm each charge b) use a powder check die c) weigh each round when you are finished and check the primers while you hve your hands on it. Total weight is easier with rifle rounds, but as long as you are using quality products and the same brass, you'll spot a squib before it goes into a mag.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Unfortunately with mixed brass in pistol ammunition and charges running around 5 grains of powder, weighing loaded pistol rounds is fruitless. The range of weight for the empty cases exceeds the charge weight of powder.
    Visually inspecting each charge is the only fool proof method of ensuring against squibs.
    DocAitch

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    If you haven't seen this article, take a look. I don't think you'll be swayed to get a Dillon or Hornady from it, but it does point out some good points and areas of concern on the Lee progressive. I just bought the Lee Turret and still found this article to be very good.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

Thanks. That was one of the most fair, unbiased reviews that I have seen. I have to say, I agree with most points on the Lee. That said, I am pleased with mine and it works well for my needs.

MH

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf
    I have found this review to be quite persuasive and would probably look very closely at a Hornady if I were starting now.The comparison does rise many valid points, but the reviewer has restricted himself because of cost (very understandably), thereby limiting the potential of the Dillon set up. I have added complete caliber change set ups over the years so have not faced a single large cost in one sitting.
    The Dillon 650 with complete caliber change sets (tool head with dies installed and set and a separate powder dispenser set up for charge for each caliber) is very quick to change calibers except for the switch over from small to large primers (which is why there is a Pro 1000 on my bench for .45ACP). There are also after market knobs for changing the powder charge setting which make life easier
    I have also found that while the Dillon dies are OK when you have settled on a load and don't change it, the Lee bullet seating die is so much easier to adjust for different bullets sizes and shapes, and I prefer the Factory Crimp die . I have replaced those two dies on all of my Dillon caliber set ups.
    I would like to try the Hornady set up, but things are working out so well with the Lee and the Dillon that I probably won't.
    DocAitch

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I added a second primer system for my 650, making the entire switch over, including switch in primer size, VERY fast.

2 bolts for the primer change.

More money, but less work. :)

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    The Lee is good for handgun rounds if you use just one of the disks in the powder system.
    The double disk system just does not drop consistent charges, which is important to me. I need consistency to provide accuracy.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Pinecone,
    I have the complete 2 bolt primer feed change over for the 650 as well, but I find that changing the feeder and the punch is a bit of a hassle. Plus I got the Lee Pro1000 because it was cheap and I wanted to see if I could use one effectively.
    DocAitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom