What are the timeframes involved with new legislation taking effect in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    It seems like the House of Representatives may be able to prevent major changes in gun laws at the federal level.

However things in Maryland aren't looking very good.

The result of this discrepancy means that, if there is enough notice, I may be able to sell things that might be outright banned or heavily taxed here to people in other states where they will remain perfectly legal.

Or on the other side of the coin I might be able to buy some things while they can still be grandfathered in from friends/family in other states who would then be able to buy themselves a new one at their leisure.

So my question on all of this is what sort of timeframe might I have to plan and execute those transactions through a dealer. Can someone propose a new law in the morning and it's in effect by lunch?

If a new law is petitioned does that prevent it from going into effect until the next chance for the referendum to be voted on so we'll have some time to think?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Bills that are passed take effect in October unless they are considered an emergency bill then they take effect at signing.

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    Bills that are passed take effect in October unless they are considered an emergency bill then they take effect at signing.

Thanks for the info. Have any of the other gun law bills been "emergency" bills, or do we have a reasonable expectation of months to sort out what we want to do in regards to anything they pass?

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    hell-freezes-over.jpeg

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    Yeah I think after the march in Feb and all the effort, if this still happends, I will be moving myself. I've hated the direction maryland has been going in for some time, guess this will be the deciding factor of it!

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    Ok so I tried searching around to find out if any of the past gun laws were passed "normally" or as "emergency" laws and I'm not having much luck. Actually this thread was pretty high in the search rankings, so maybe this isn't even a common question to ask.

However I know we have a bunch of members here who were around since they were passing gun control stuff here in Maryland in the 90s. Do you remember if the laws were passed as "emergency" laws that immediately prevented you from going down to the gun store for a TEC-9 and some 50 round magazines or did you have a while.

Or I guess alternatively did they do something where the law didn't take effect until later, but was retroactive to the day of signing. i.e. if you had one when they signed the law you could keep it, but if you bought one between when they signed the law and when it took effect it would be illegal to have?

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    Im sure it will be a emergency bill seeing how gun control is a hot topic right now. But who knows....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom