What ammo are most using in their 5.56 AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    What ammo do most people keep around for target and then home defense for 5.56 nato ar-15? Any shoot .223's? What brands and grains, etc?

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I used to shoot the cheapest brass case 55gr .223 i could get, remington umc, pmc bronze, federal. Now i shoot. 62gr 5.56, federal lake city, pmc xtac, and theres another one i get at gunshows sometimes, i think its made in hungry, but its brass case and comes with 30rds a box. Last are tracers which are 62gr i believe.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Brown Bear, all the way. Never had an FTF or FTE with it. The likelihood that I'd be using my AR-15 in a true HD scenario is so miniscule that buying fancy-pants ammo for it seems like a waste of money.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    lets see here ...reloads 55gr. FMJ (plinking), 77gr Sierra MK (target), 52-57gr HP .22LR cases formed into bullets w/ a BB in the hollow point while forming (Home Defense) if I have to as a defense tool...but....45 HST's or some custom HP's in the Smith or Colt

-Rock

K-9

Apr 12, 2011
    Dumbdalk!
    being using lucky gunner for years now and I am really happy with their bulk ammo prices. I plink with Wolf and Brown Bear and Russian Surplus stuff because it's cheap. If your worried about malfunctions, make sure your properly clean your weapon. And keep and extra firing pin just incase. Been getting into aluminum rounds cuz of weight and they work well if you can find them. Hope this helps!

Ron

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2011
    Hornady 77gr BTHP over Varget for match loads

55gr FMJBT over BL-C2 for shits & giggles plinking

.45ACP from a 1911A1 for home defense.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I used to shoot the cheapest brass case 55gr .223 i could get, remington umc, pmc bronze, federal. Now i shoot. 62gr 5.56, federal lake city, pmc xtac, and theres another one i get at gunshows sometimes, i think its made in hungry, but its brass case and comes with 30rds a box. Last are tracers which are 62gr i believe.

I think the stuff you are talking about in the 30 rd boxes is American Tactical Imports. This is what I've been shooting and I love it. So far I'm through about 1,500 round without a malfunction:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom