• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    I was venting a bit to my father about how I gave up on purchasing an AR15 because of the prices. We started talking about guns and I asked if he still had his old 30-30. He says, "Yeah! You want it?" Now, as with most of you undoubtedly, that is a pretty stupid question. I kind of played it off a bit trying not to look too anxious and said, "What? You don't want it?" He said no. :D

It's a Western Field Model 740A-EMN, A.K.A. a Marlin 336. He bought it from Montgomery Wards, or Monkey Wards as he called it, back in 1973. Based on the serial number ADXXXXX, it was manufactured in 1968. He only bought one 20-round box of ammo and fired a grand total of 12 rounds. Based on the look of loading spring or ramp, it doesn't look like it's ever been loaded. There are a couple dings and scratches on the forestock. One of the 12 rounds bagged a nice buck which is mounted on a wall in his house. He never hunted or fired it after that.

It's one of the best Christmas gifts I ever got. There's something about giving someone a nice rifle, like saying I love you. :)

30-30_zps853556cd.jpg

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Very nice!

Better than any AR, in my opinion. Beautiful old Marlin and a family treasure.

Oh, Hey and welcome, by the way.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My father has the same one, also from Monkey Wards. I occasionally see them for sale. I find them more desirable than the Marlin-branded ones.

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    Thanks Kman.

Yeah, I was in love with this rifle since I was about 12 years old. It's a great brush gun with excellent take-down power. I'm thinking about losing the scope though or maybe getting higher mounts so I can still use the sights.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    I picked up a Glenfield 30A in 30-30 at the Spring show in York. It's basically the same as yours, a 336 made by Marlin for resellers. Mine was made in the 70's as far as I can tell.

It's a lot of fun to shoot. Behind my AR and my Rem 700 .22-250, it's my favorite gun to shoot.

You'll like it. ;)

Just be careful of the ammo you use if using the tubular magazine. I pretty much shoot the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo. It is safe and works very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom