• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • So I'm just about dead-set on buying one very soon, and if only out of curiosity, I was wondering whether anyone has any personal experience with the West German SIG 226 that they'd like to share. Trigger, grip, balance, overall feel, carrying, shooting, and so on.

Experiences with the 228, 225, and newer 226es and 229s are welcome, too. What you like about them, what you dislike, what you think could be improved; those sorts of things.

I'd call this thread proposal more of a discussion than an advice-giving. That said, a bit of my background: I'm fairly new to SIG pistols (of the 220 series), as in I have had very little trigger time with them. They fit me well, though, and they point well. I love DA/SA platforms and run exclusively stock triggers on all my handguns.

So yeah, I think that about covers it. Fire away.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I have a 229 E2 with the SRT trigger.

It's a great handgun. It is "sturdy" to say the least and the parts seem over done. The SRT trigger is very nice once you get used to it. For a house/range gun they are solid. A bit big and heavy for CCW and the E2 grips are very rough on the skin.

Can't really go wrong with them IMHO.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    German 226

The only handgun I've seen passed from hand to hand at a gun range that consistently shot like it was being handled by the same expert marksman.

Taken is probably right about carry ... a little big & heavy.

If I already had everything else I wanted and had an extra $800 cash, I'd have one waiting for me right now.

Nothing else to say.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    West german p228 w/mecgar 15 round mags and night sights. :thumbsup:

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    I have a P228 west german and p229 and p230 german. Also cant tell you much difference with my other P229 american sig. I mainly bought the P228 west german sig because I used to carry one for work and wanted the more collectible west german. The german P229 is my new duty weapon and the only real difference I notice is my american one has a rail. If you can get the west german.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    P225's are inherently West German , having never been made in US . Mine has best DA pull of any semi I've used.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Love my W German 226. Everyone who handles it want to buy it from me.
    You won't be sorry.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I've got a WG 225 & 220. My 226 is American frame German slide(?). All have been great. My 226 is about 15 years old though. Maybe they aren' t as good now?
    The single stack pistols fit my hands better FWIW. I have average size hands with stubby digits.

Last edited:

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I have a W. German 226 and a W. German 228. I really like both of them but the 228 is my favorite.

Like any other handgun purchase I'd handle and shoot both of them if possible before making a decision.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My wife has Signess and can't turn down a good deal on a Sig (please do not contact her, her side of the safe is FULL!) My cousin has a German 226 ... there's room in there if he ever wants to give it up!

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    From what I read before I bought mine, the West German guns have stamped slides. The US guns have milled stainless slides which are a bit heavier. I've never handled a US gun, so I'm not sure how much heavier they are or if it makes a difference in balance of the gun. If nothing has changed since I bought mine, all of the frames are manufactured in Germany. I believe there is a difference in the extractor as well, but don't remember what that was

The way to tell if the gun was made in west Germany is to look at the bottom front portion of the slide for proof marks. The letters indicate year of manufacture A=0...K=9 there is no I, I'm guessing to avoid confusion with it being the #1. They also have made in west Germany stamped on the right front side of the slide. Below is a picture of my slide. uploadfromtaptalk1413153931842.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    It's easy mine is actually is stamped "West Germany.":innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member