• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Using states makes more sense like using the electoral college makes more sense vs popular vote.

The founders did not like mob rule

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Constitution is not subject to a popularity contest.

Our fundamental rights are not to be put to a vote, regardless of the amount of the population who may feel that licenses are good.

It‘s not about the math.

Absolutely Right !

Just commenting on the implied to the effect " Most of Country has Permitless Now " .

I'm back with partial number.

The 7 most anti gun / anti carry states ( worse than Maryland) are by themselves 27.9 % of U.S. Population. Not motivated yet to add up the 20 states in between that are freer than Maryland, but still Shall Issue .

Last edited:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Using states makes more sense like using the electoral college makes more sense vs popular vote.

The founders did not like mob rule
    And that helps remind people, few of whom even knew this in the first place, that our nation is a union of 50 sovereign entities, each of whom decided to join together as united (adjective, not noun) states to face the outside world as one, but maintained a great deal of their own, individual sovereignty when conducting their own affairs.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    The Constitution is not subject to a popularity contest.

Our fundamental rights are not to be put to a vote, regardless of the amount of the population who may feel that licenses are good.

It‘s not about the math, or feelings.
    That's the over riding point ... The Lefty says it is i.e. (Getting rid of electoral college) and the obfuscation of the Constitutions meaning ... The Right says it's interpreted as written ... Antonin Scalia :-: "The Constitution that I interpret and apply is not living, but dead, or as I prefer to call it, enduring. It means, today, not what current society, much less the court, thinks it ought to mean, but what it meant when it was adopted."

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/antonin-scalia-quotes

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Which begs my question, where was any permitting scheme in 1791?

Or for the stretchers 1868 when the 14A was adopted

Answer: No where.

“May it please the court”

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And that helps remind people, few of whom even knew this in the first place, that our nation is a union of 50 sovereign entities, each of whom decided to join together as united (adjective, not noun) states to face the outside world as one, but maintained a great deal of their own, individual sovereignty when conducting their own affairs.
    The genius of the founding fathers.

Federalism.

I owe them a debt I cannot possibly repay

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So Maryland and all other states permitting scheme is clearly unconstitutional under Bruen.

Let’s go I’m ready!

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    @swinokur
    th

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Thoughts?
    Just prior to 1791, common nails that were machine formed and that had striking heads, were taxed and only available through agents of the crown.
    In my area, certain practices and houses of worship were forbidden and needed to be approved.
    Or perhaps even permitted to wit by some sort of magistrate.
    Some local inhabitants were still very loyal to the homeland and would most certainly take any avenue necessary to substantiate their loyalty in order to escape the possibility of prosecution.
    So they met in the woods behind the house here, which is partially a crop field now, with only a very narrow woods and road remaining so a meeting could commence every so often. Then some good old boys prepared fixed iron nails elsewhere to build a church out to where the road is now not too long after our nation even established its independence.
    I'm not sure any permits were issued for a man to be armed, when the penalty for worship could have been met with death or complete and udder ruination at the very least. Having lands and live stock seized, food stores destroyed and so on.
    For some one to posses permits or keep records thereof for being armed or any other thing in opposition to the King would have certainly been a fools errand in an era of when a bad winter or drought could have spoiled life.
    My thoughts are, for anyone to think otherwise, that permitting schemes for the maintenance of firearms were commonplace or even a priority is fool and should be considered as such.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Were permits required in 1791?
    Yes, if you were black. One of the reasons permits are seen a racist.

"The socialization of blacks was controlled in Delaware by an act of 1700 entitled, "For the trial of Negroes." This policy marked 150 years of discriminatory legislation. Blacks were given more severe penalties than whites for certain crimes, prohibited from carrying weapons or assembling in large numbers"

BLACK AMERICANS IN DELAWARE: AN OVERVIEW
    James E. Newton
    University of Delaware

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    No kidding, but the clock starts next year that could happen anytime between next year and 5 years.

Understood, just pointing out how out that it would take a minimum of 2-3 years before getting there. More likely than not it will take 4-5 years and that’s only if the right case is filed.
    Still going to be a long road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I keep wondering why none of these cases bring up the "shall not be infringed" language part of the 2A. To me that seems like it would be a winner based on the definition of those words alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom