• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    I went up to Elk Neck today to shoot the AR15 I built over a year ago for the first time and sight it in.

The issue seemed to resolve itself (or maybe I resolved it) but I'm curious about it. The first shot went bang then for about 10 tries after (pulled the bolt several times) the firing pin didn't extend enough into the primer to fire. It just barely dented them. Sometimes the bolt didn't even make it to the front and I had to re-rack it. Everything was lubed up well. I manually moved the pieces of the bolt around a little to make sure it was functioning and put it back in.

Then everything seemed to go fine from there on out. Maybe it just needed to be worked in a little? Any clue what would have been going on?

And I guess as a side question, am I better off tossing the dented primer rounds or are they OK to fire next time I go out?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I went up to Elk Neck today to shoot the AR15 I built over a year ago for the first time and sight it in.

The issue seemed to resolve itself (or maybe I resolved it) but I'm curious about it. The first shot went bang then for about 10 tries after (pulled the bolt several times) the firing pin didn't extend enough into the primer to fire. It just barely dented them. Sometimes the bolt didn't even make it to the front and I had to re-rack it. Everything was lubed up well. I manually moved the pieces of the bolt around a little to make sure it was functioning and put it back in.

Then everything seemed to go fine from there on out. Maybe it just needed to be worked in a little? Any clue what would have been going on?

And I guess as a side question, am I better off tossing the dented primer rounds or are they OK to fire next time I go out?

Here my guesses without seeing it:

Gas Tube was misalighed
    Gas Key was misaligned
    Hammer Spring Installed Improperly
    Buffer Spring too weak
    Bolt Bounce
    Cam Pin or Firing Pin is binding
    Gas Rings are too tight

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    sounds like it needed to be worked in a little. Maybe lube hadn't worked its way in yet?

I know the first time i ran my ar i put a lot of lube on the bolt, per recommendation of my shooting buddy. Worked just fine. Make sure your bolt is nice and wet next time you take it out

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    You built it over a year ago and fired it for the first time recently, I can barely make it through the night when I get a new gun I want to try it out so bad.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I think this is a good chance for you to learn how the system works. If you built it then with a little research you should be able to problem solve it from the ground up. It;s not a complicated system and trouble shooting them is simple if you go part by part through the operating system. Start from the gas end and work back.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    You built it over a year ago and fired it for the first time recently, I can barely make it through the night when I get a new gun I want to try it out so bad.

Well life happens. Been a busy yr for me

I think this is a good chance for you to learn how the system works. If you built it then with a little research you should be able to problem solve it from the ground up. It;s not a complicated system and trouble shooting them is simple if you go part by part through the operating system. Start from the gas end and work back.

Well the thing is it works perfectly fine right now. 100 rounds thru it with no issue after the hiccup at the beginning. I built the thing piece by piece so I'm pretty knowledgeable on the make up of it. I just thought it was weird I had such an issue in the beginning that seems to be gone now.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Here my guesses without seeing it:

Gas Tube was misalighed
    Gas Key was misaligned
    Hammer Spring Installed Improperly
    Buffer Spring too weak
    Bolt Bounce
    Cam Pin or Firing Pin is binding
    Gas Rings are too tight
    I don't know why you make stuff seem so complicated, it's probably just broke. :sad20:

I'm thinking the gas tube/carrier alignment is the issue too.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    If you didnt spend $100,000,000.00 on it then you got a POS. Throw it in the woods and light them on fire, that cheap POS doesnt deserve a spot on this earth ROFL :lol2:

jk dont do all that.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    If you didnt spend $100,000,000.00 on it then you got a POS. Throw it in the woods and light them on fire, that cheap POS doesnt deserve a spot on this earth ROFL :lol2:

jk dont do all that.

No one said he had to spend stupid money to get a working AR. I bet that for a couple hundred more (if this is a lot to you, I have bad news, ammo is expensive) and gotten a rifle that worked right the first time.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Another thing could be that it's not broken in. Did you manually cycle the action for about 10-20 minutes after you put the upper together? The helps it work out it's kinks.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If you didnt spend $100,000,000.00 on it then you got a POS. Throw it in the woods, tell MATLACK where, walk back to your house to get something flammable, and light them on fire, that cheap POS doesnt deserve a spot on this earth ROFL :lol2:

jk dont do all that.

He is missing a few steps. I fixed it for you.

If it is missing when you get back to burn it it was probably a pigeon that took it away.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    No one said he had to spend stupid money to get a working AR. I bet that for a couple hundred more (if this is a lot to you, I have bad news, ammo is expensive) and gotten a rifle that worked right the first time.

I put it all together for well below the price of buying one in a store but I didn't do it for the savings. I did it for the experience.

Another thing could be that it's not broken in. Did you manually cycle the action for about 10-20 minutes after you put the upper together? The helps it work out it's kinks.

I did it a few times but not many. I'm thinking the lube hadn't worked its way all the way in and it needed some breaking in.

Yes, they are fine to shoot. Just stick them in a magazine and don't single load them.

Jim

Thanks

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home

sell them as roofing nails.:D

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I put it all together for well below the price of buying one in a store but I didn't do it for the savings. I did it for the experience.

And that's fine. I believe after one assembles an upper, you're supposed to but a BFA on it and fire 8-10 rounds to seal up the gas system. It could be that all it needed was for your gas system to seal and then it started working.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    And that's fine. I believe after one assembles an upper, you're supposed to but a BFA on it and fire 8-10 rounds to seal up the gas system. It could be that all it needed was for your gas system to seal and then it started working.

Really? I've never heard of that one . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom