• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    There is nothing in MD law that prohibits the gun and magazine being together. Only that the gun be in an enclosed case or holster.

I'm assuming you are stopping at a place in MD.

Well, I almost never stop in MD with it. I just remove the mag, and re-holster the gun before crossing into MD. The mag has to be empty if they are in the same compartment, correct? Otherwise it's only a mag insert away from OC? Like I said, I'm not entirely sure what the definition of "unloaded" and "enclosed" mean as they relate to transport.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    You cannot mix and match FOPA with Maryland law. If you want to make use of FOPA, you have to comply with ALL of FOPA. Assuming that one of the exceptions does not apply (e.g., range transport), carrying a regulated firearm in the car is banned in MD. Period. If you are coming home from VA where you carried legally, it is best to transport strictly in compliance with all the requirements of FOPA while in MD.

I thought it was illegal to carry a handgun in the vehicle in MD but I thought a long gun whether regulated or not was ok. (Not including NFA).

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As equapellate says, if you are only on travel, then travel according to FOPA, ie locked in the trunk. If you can't prove you were engaged ina MD allowed activity according to 4-203, better lock it in the trunk. A loaded magazine is not considered illegal in MD but if on travel only, I'd lock it up as FOPA says ammo and firearm need to be separate from the passenger compartment. Exception is a vehicle with no trunk then ammo OR firearm need to be in a locked case.

I go to VA often as I am only 10 minutes from VA, but if it's day time I'm either "going or coming back from the range" Nightime I lock it in the trunk.

Not a perfect system but I'm ok with it.

IANAL

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I thought it was illegal to carry a handgun in the vehicle in MD but I thought a long gun whether regulated or not was ok. (Not including NFA).

Correct, 4-203 applies only to a "handgun" and I was using regulated gun with that in mind since all handguns are regulated. Transporting a regulated long gun in MD does not come within 4-203. That said, you are asking for trouble driving around with your unloaded AR-15 in plain sight inside your car. Legal? Yeh, but who needs the real hassle you may well get from that officer.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And a post 10-1 purchased old regulated long gun is banned in MD anyway. Better be able to prove travel and transport according to FOPA through MD.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Got it. yep. headed home and not on a MD specifcly allowed activity, your advice is most prudent.
    Here's how it would be carried in MD, but in an unlocked console. (I'm a collector MD designated and C&R, and on my way home from my place of business)

asunuqap.jpg

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Do you own the business? If not I'd lock it in the trunk. The C &R is a good idea but if you can't actually prove you were at a show of part of your collection, it won't be legal under 4-203.

I stop near the Legion bridge and lock mine in my gun safe. (Have an SUV)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Be careful with a pass through to the trunk. Could be construed as not being "separate"

Access to the trunk would be the stumbling block IMO. Buy a small gun safe to lock it up. You won't have to stop to lock it up either.

IANAL.

Last edited:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Be careful with a pass through to the trunk. Could be construed as not being "separate"

Access to the trunk would be the stumbling block IMO. Buy a small gun safe to lcock it up. You won't have to stop to lock it up either.

IANAL.

That's exactly what I used to do. Bought a small single gun safe and when I was a couple of miles from the bridge (usually stopped in traffic) I would unholster, unload and lock the firearm and magazine in the gun safe and put the safe behind the seat.

Regular cab pick up.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Ok-thanks for responding. It helps us when another person posts info and since your are a LEO, it is more accurate than just another poster.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Correct, 4-203 applies only to a "handgun" and I was using regulated gun with that in mind since all handguns are regulated. Transporting a regulated long gun in MD does not come within 4-203. That said, you are asking for trouble driving around with your unloaded AR-15 in plain sight inside your car. Legal? Yeh, but who needs the real hassle you may well get from that officer.

Roger thanks.

compmoto

pissed off conservative
    Jan 18, 2010
    southern Maryland
    info

There is nothing in MD law that prohibits the gun and magazine being together. Only that the gun be in an enclosed case or holster.

I'm assuming you are stopping at a place in MD.

that was the case here... "holstered Glock" .. the fact it was a loaded mag,but not chambered is the crime..
    and furthermore complicating the issue, was the fact that the "traffic offense" was suspected DUI .. another big no no..
    another question here could be :is vehicle carry legal, if the gun is registered to the occupant, so long as the mag isn't "with" the weapon ?
    Also , the associate was approved on an AR10 reciever in Feb. which had previously been "on hold" until after his 1/14 court date and consequent conviction.
    His lawyer was NOT "MD gun law savy" ... I think he is planning to consult the NRA ... if that is worth anything ...

Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    If he doesn't have "mourning" black tape over the number. I have a serious issue with this when I see it. Might as well be wearing the Lone Ranger mask.

You have a serious issue with someone showing respect to a fellow worker who has been killed in the line of duty?

By the way, most departments don't even display a number. Maybe only certain city departments. We use ID numbers which is not on display anywhere. Our names are fully visible though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You have a serious issue with someone showing respect to a fellow worker who has been killed in the line of duty?

By the way, most departments don't even display a number. Maybe only certain city departments. We use ID numbers which is not on display anywhere. Our names are fully visible though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most don't but some do and I have seen taped over numbers over and over. Its disrespectful to those who are being served.

Tape as fine on a badge that doesn't carry an ID number, and its fine on a numbered badge when the number isn't obscured, but when someone masks their badge number ... same as wearing a mask on their faces. Pretty sure you would not want your house raided by masked gunmen either.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Someone is full of crap. The black "tape" is simple a form of bunting, same as you see at the precindt or a fire station draped over the doors to show respect for a fallen co worked. Read more then that into it and you're looking for something that is not there.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Its not what the public perceives ... public perception, what the public sees in what you do is what matters, not what you think you do

Bunting is fine, masks are not

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom