Watch for the gun bans to start, new shooting at Ft. Hood ......

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I doubt it. What are they going to say? That even the military should not have military style “assault weapons”. They will probably just grumble about mental health, background checks, and then move along cause it is an election year and they are smart enough to not push us right now.

LucasF

Mar 6, 2014
    Stevensville, MD
    Personally, I think we should take the military bases to Amber level just like it was over seas. Have loaded weapons with no round in the chamber. This way, you are ready to if stuff happens.

Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    Agreed, they are not going to gain much traction in an election year when liberals are already scrambling to hold onto their positions. Additionally, I think the media has beat this horse so much and we've been through this scenario so many times that it's faded into background noise with most folks being more focused on issues that directly affect the money in their wallets versus regulation of firearms. But, of course this still won't stop the wacko gun grabbers from trying once again to politicize a tragedy for their agenda.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There should be no firearms allowed on military bases at all. I also propose that they put up gates at all possible entrances, and have guards that will search those coming on to the base. That should help. :rolleyes:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hopefully, this will be dealt with as a mental health issue, and not a "gun" issue.

Reports are he was in treatment/evaluation for PTSD, though no formal diagnosis.

Slippery slope. They will want to make you a prohibited person if you are being treated for PTSD/anxiety/depression etc. You will need a note from your psychiatrist to get your gun rights back. De facto ban......

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Slippery slope. They will want to make you a prohibited person if you are being treated for PTSD/anxiety/depression etc. You will need a note from your psychiatrist to get your gun rights back. De facto ban......

Understood...

But we have seen too many people recently where "it was known" they "had problems", and for what ever reason they went un(der)addressed.

I can't help but think there's a happy medium in there somewhere... but, of course, that will involve politicians, so...

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I just can't understand why they can't let trained soldiers carry firearms on a base. The other side always whines that only Police and Military should have firearms. Well then let them carry!

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    What is unfortunately going to happen is that this case will be used to further justify the restriction/revocation of the gun rights for current or former service members or anyone who has signs of PTSD. Hey, let's reward those who put their lives on the line for their country by taking away their constitutional rights when they get home from the sand-box. Makes perfect sense right? Really saddens me.

The threat of crackdown on anyone who seeks counciling after getting home, is going to drive solders who may need a little help, away from seeking it.... perhaps making the problem even worse.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I don't hear any calls for gun control... all I'm hearing are calls for military personnel to carry guns.

And once again, it was a good guy (actually a good woman) with a gun who stopped this. A female MP caught the shooter and pointed her gun at him. He then took his own life.

I know, I'm surprised too.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just can't understand why they can't let trained soldiers carry firearms on a base. The other side always whines that only Police and Military should have firearms. Well then let them carry!

These people say only the police and military should have guns, but they don't like that either. The military can have guns, but should only get them out of the armory when there is a war. That occurs in other Countries, so we are good there. The military can only have guns when shooting at little brown people in foreign countries.....

The police are a different story. Just look at MD. Last year they banned off-duty police officers from carrying onto school grounds. The rationale was that a police officer may go to a parent-teacher conference and intimidate the teacher with his/her gun. This year they wanted to ban off-duty police officers from carrying on private school grounds. They hate guns. Some people need them, yes, but only at certain times and in certain places. They trust nobody.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

I agree, but I'm waiting to see if we hear anything about his medical records. I want to know if he is on any of the depression meds, and if so I think this is where the focus needs to be. Just a diagnosis shouldn't be enough to warrant a ban on ownership. If, however, a person is on medication for a condition, I don't see it being unreasonable to temporarily suspend purchases until they are off the meds. This gives the person a quantifiable step towards regaining normalcy not based on subjective evaluations.

The psychotropic drug issue keeps raising it's ugly head, but it never makes it past a 2-second blurb on the news. Colorado, Sandy Hook, And multiple others, the only connection other than guns is the meds.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The psychotropic drug issue keeps raising it's ugly head, but it never makes it past a 2-second blurb on the news. Colorado, Sandy Hook, And multiple others, the only connection other than guns is the meds.

This!

There is more to the story, that we should know. If meds are an issue like people doing crazy crap while taking ambien, it should be publicized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom