• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What are the differences between the P1s and the P-38 alloy models they are selling at JG sales?

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    What are the differences between the P1s and the P-38 alloy models they are selling at JG sales?

About 37.

Obviously the main difference between the wartime P38s and the P1s is the steel vs alloy frame. I believe the alloy P38s are the same gun as the P1, they just hadn't switched over to the new nomenclature to differentiate them yet. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    About 37.

Obviously the main difference between the wartime P38s and the P1s is the steel vs alloy frame. I believe the alloy P38s are the same gun as the P1, they just hadn't switched over to the new nomenclature to differentiate them yet. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

On later production of the P1, Walther introduced some improvements to the slide and frame to combat some instances of slides and frames cracking. The easiest way to identify a model with these improvments is to look for the re-inforcing bolt on the frame behind the take down lever.

There is a P.38 Forum out there with a wealth of information on the P.38 and a good bit of knowledge on the P.1 as well.

Last edited:

bward1028

Dec 27, 2010
    PG County
    got mine today, and 3 mags from CTD
    100_0269.jpg

100_0270.jpg

100_0271.jpg

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    I got one on the previous round from AIM. Very comfortable and fun shooters. Based on the experience I had I recommend you pay special attention to cleaning the extractor.

I just got back from the range. My Walther P1 was terrific.

I had zero malfunctions out of 100 shots.

I liked: the accuracy, the sites, the look and feel of the gun (weighs only 27 ounces), great German quality, fit and finish, the chamber full indicater, and the safety/decocker.

This gun shot and behaved just like any modern day full sized, full featured 9mm, hard to believe it was made in 1978.

I liked the ejection port on the top, its different and neat, with the action open you can see the chamber, and top of the mag without turning the gun to the side. Ejection out the top is different but not a big deal. Hope those German soldiers wore shooting glasses, most ejected rounds go straight up and to either side, but some of them do arc towards your head and face. Wear a cap, several rounds bounced off the brim of my hat, and glasses, and face.

Final thought: this is a very advanced gun for its day, and for today, shooting it is like driving a vintage Mercedes.:)

Great gun. Great C&R value.:)

Sir you seriously tempt me

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I just got back from the range with my new P1 from AIM and it functions fine (no jams or mechanical issues) but the accuracy could be better. I am able to get 6-8" groups at 25 yards but that's about the best I could do (and yes, I do usually hit much better than this with several other CF pistols). I think that the problem may be that there is what seems to me like a lot of play between the barrel, frame, and slide when it's locked. I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done to help this without doing any serious mods or expensive barrel replacements. Anyway, here are some photos of it.

Attachments

• IMG_1661 (Medium).jpg
      IMG_1661 (Medium).jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 241
    • IMG_1663.jpg
      IMG_1663.jpg
      56 KB · Views: 231
    • IMG_1665 (Medium).jpg
      IMG_1665 (Medium).jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 233

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    euler, what 9mm are you feeding your P1? I switched from 115 gr FMJ to 124 gr FMJ. The changed helped with accuracy, just make sure you're not using hot rounds, so no NATO or +P.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    euler, what 9mm are you feeding your P1? I switched from 115 gr FMJ to 124 gr FMJ. The changed helped with accuracy, just make sure you're not using hot rounds, so no NATO or +P.

I would have expected 124g NATO would have worked fine in the P1. Are you advising against the NATO (between regular and +P, as I understand it) because of the non-steel frame?

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom