Walmart to phase out the sale of Ammo????

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Have any of you heard this from any Walmart employees? I was just picking up some Ammo at the Walmart in White marsh and was told that they were going to slowly phase out the sale of ammunition. He said that within 12 months, Walmart will no longer be selling ammo. Anyone else hear this?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Have any of you heard this from any Walmart employees? I was just picking up some Ammo at the Walmart in White marsh and was told that they were going to slowly phase out the sale of ammunition. He said that within 12 months, Walmart will no longer be selling ammo. Anyone else hear this?

I heard something very similar about a year or so ago. Thankfully the guy was wrong.

fd318

Mar 22, 2010
    Upper Fells Point
    It might just be that location. Walmart generally doesn't keep things they don't sell a lot of. I remember years ago that Walmart use to sell shotguns and rifles. Seeing how until recently, walmart couldn't keep ammo on the shelves. I dout that they would be getting rid of it.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Maybe just in that one store. And even that's suspect.

Walmart would never cease ammo sales, nationwide. Think of how many dollars they'd lose to their competitors, whenever someone had to go elsewhere for ammo, and decided to also buy their hunting equipment, clothing, boots, camping gear, etc. there too.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I dunno... I hope the skeptics are right. But there is a cynical moneymongering strain in Wal-Mart management that has allowed the "social responsibility" delusions to gain real power at a high level. Although this has, admittedly, led to some smart moves (e.g., their drive towards energy efficiency -- say whatever else you want to, spending less on fuel is good business) it has also led to some boneheaded ones (their incoherent efforts to boost organic sales).

I would hope they would be smart enough at least to allow stores individually to decide based on their locations/customer base, but I would not rule out the possibility for some spectacular stupidity here.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Taken from another board. So it may be true.

The Walmart near me (South Knoxville) is undergoing a major remodel. I was in the other night and they have reset the sporting goods department. I was shocked to see that the counter area was very small. NO ammo. It was late and there was no one around to ask,but it looks bad

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    There is hardly any item that sells as well as ammo, so as long as they are making a profit of it and don't have too many employees stealing, they will continue selling. Should they have a problem finding suppliers, shelf space might be given to some other item. Then there are states like California with insane laws where they might not want to sell anything just for the hassle and employee hours it takes.

Baseline - as long as it is profitable, they'll sell it.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=37113&highlight=Walmart

Went to the columbia md wally world off of 175 this morning. The guy at the ammo counter made a comment to the extent that they need to take the sign down (limit of 6 boxes per day) because the policy isn't in effect any longer. I don't know if its only at this store or everywhere.

Maybe they got rid of the limit to get rid of the ammo faster so there would be none to stock. :innocent0 :tinfoil:

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD
    Well, look at Target. With a name like that you'd think they have lost of ammo but they hardly have a shoorting goods dept!

I could see them getting out of the ammo business, hope not but it would not be a shock if they did.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    There was another discussion (on another board) about this and one of the guys involved actually was a big muckity muck @ WallyWorld and he said that this was patently untrue...

Jamie

Namen

Jan 22, 2008
    essex
    They phased out ammo at the Golden Ring Wally...managers choice as I was told. Likely it's only that one store...it's also where I usually buy mine...:sad20:

I was told it was it's proxinmity to the 695 beltway. Eitherway that is the only location out of the three in the local are to stop selling it. I rarely journey up 43 to check their shelves but Carrol Island still has their 2 box limit.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Same guy told me that at that store, he has no clue what he is talking about. Wal mart is not going to stop selling ammo. He told me two more shipments and then it would be phased out lol, he told you something completly different. This myth never dies my guess is the guy is an anti

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    I was told it was it's proxinmity to the 695 beltway. Eitherway that is the only location out of the three in the local are to stop selling it. I rarely journey up 43 to check their shelves but Carrol Island still has their 2 box limit.

I don't even bother going to carrol island. The one on 43 has always had a good selection plus I never have a hard time finding someone to help me.

Patrick218

May 17, 2010
    Hello I was there last Thursday and they are scaling back sales of alot of sports gear at that store,not just ammo specfically.However because they aready remodeled and the cases are there I doubt that any ammo is affected.Some stores stop selling things like live worms and other things because of slow sales and waste.This store still had the six box limit,btw this is a little thing that drives me crazy White Marsh does not go west of Route 40 ,this place is called Nottingham,White Marsh Mall sounded better than Nottingham Mall and this has cased much confusion over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom